-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Friday, April 24, 2015

Random Friday

First up is another plant that I got at Wells Medina Nursery on my visit.  The first was the camellia with variegated leaves, gold new leaves and red stems.  This is Farfugium japonicum 'Shishi Botan.'



How fortuitous to find this sign at Hortlandia last weekend.  I'd no idea about this plant not liking competition.  It'll get a nice home in a pot!


The Great Dane was little when I got him...  It's been years since I've started anything from seed so forgive me.  Seed packets used to have so many more seeds in them, right?  Anyway, I thought it would be cool to start my own tomatoes from seed since I now have space.  I sowed the contents of six  packets (Thank you to Botanical interests for Sungold and Pineapple) thinking that most would not germinate.  Oops, seems like they all did.  They're actually closer to the same height than it appears in the picture.   This is after I'd potted quite a few already. Other varieties are Siletz, Delicious, Sweetie, and a packet of mixed heritage varieties.

I stopped at about 60 and still had hundreds of seedlings that desperately needed to be planted.  An email at work had people offering to take them off my hands so they all went to good homes. In addition, I purchased a black tomato because I'd seen them last year and they're so handsome, an early girl in a gallon pot, and something else in a gallon pot.  Those both got planted up to five gallon pots.  The suckers all got cut off (how could one throw those away?) and, well, there were still some four inch pots that were empty. Seventy tomato plants in all.  Hopefully my sister will want  some. I really only need about ten to twenty plants.  Oh well, I'll know better next year.  

Meanwhile, in another part of the laboratory, the begonia experiment is coming right along.  Next year, heating pads.

Out in the hell strip, the Paulownia tomentosas are starting to bloom.  The blue of the ceanothus below provides an interesting color combination. I have great difficulty taking pictures of these blooms for some reason.  Sorry for the bad pictures.



By the front steps, a couple of clematis are starting their show. 



Happy weekend and happy gardening!


31 comments:

  1. Wow! All those tomatoes. Holy Moly! Hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps I'll learn to can tomatoes this summer. Hope you have a great weekend too!

      Delete
  2. Farfugium japonicum is a rather odd plant. It will be interesting to see it in bloom.
    There may be a Tomato-Muzzarella-Basil sandwich in your future and a lot of home made spaghetti source. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is an odd plant, hope I don't kill it! That's one of my favorite sandwiches! I use a lot of tomatoes for soups and spaghetti sauce during the year so canning might be a fun thing to do.

      Delete
  3. That's a lot of tomato plants, even the 20 you say you need! Where do you put them all? (Ah, to be deer-free...)

    What clematis varieties are shown there? Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My tomato yields outside have not been stellar but the plants haven't been grown in the best conditions either. We often have cool nights that tomatoes don't like so they'll be growing in the greenhouse this summer while most of the plants from there are vacationing outside. We'll see what happens. Problem is that they may keep producing after frost outside. Hmm. More shelving!

      The pink one is Clematis Josephine™ (description from White Flower Farm)
      The undisputed star of the 1998 Chelsea Flower Show, this dramatic, dependably double-flowered, lilac Clematis features a dark stripe in its outer petals and a pale ruff in the center.

      The purple one could be Crystal Fountain. The label said Blue Light but it isn't.

      Delete
  4. I think that Farfugium is called Crispatum here which reminds me I need to get one soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Farfugium japonicum 'Crispata' and Farfugium japonicum 'Crispatum' are similar to this one but the leaves of 'Shishi Botan' never really open up to have a lacy edge but rather stay crumpled together like this.

      Delete
  5. You've got me thinking twice about my plan to copice the Paulownia tomentosa...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's wonderful to let one go but then there's that awkward five to ten year period when the tree shades out everything before it gets tall enough to let sun back into the bed beneath.

      Delete
  6. I hope you have good luck with the shishi botan. It dwindled and then disappeared for me, despite trying different sites. I never figured out why. It had no competition, plenty of shade and water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've killed similar Farfugium japonicum before so we'll see what happens with this one. It'll get a pot and some rich soil.

      Delete
  7. The black tomatoes are the tastiest in all the land (almost any variety, but we've been going with 'Black Prince'). I get overwhelmed by sauce making with only 6 or 8 plants. You may need to set up a stand on the sidewalk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I looked for 'Black Prince' but didn't find it so settled for Blue something or other. The picture on the tag looked like a black tomato. Heretofore my tomato growing has been limited to two or three plants crammed into flower beds and neglected. Although one year, a roma (seed from the compost I'd spread earlier) volunteered and I didn't notice until the flash of red fruit caught my eye. Production, mostly of cherries was limited to enough for a snack of a couple a day while gardening. Looking forward to seeing what will happen with plants that are actually cared for. Pot life may be tricky though.

      Delete
  8. Very beautiful clematis blooms.
    Hope you still like tomatoes by the end of the harvest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sharon. I'm hoping to be able to send tomatoes to a food bank and have some to can as well. This is new territory for me.

      Delete
  9. I really like the ceanothus and paulownia combo - it's very nice against that grey sky. The leaves on that farfugium are something else, aren't they? Great plant - I hope it does well for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd never noticed them together until last evening when the sun came out and made rainbows in the wet sky. The golden light was illuminating them and making me aware of the duet.

      Delete
  10. That first plant is just weird. But then that's what you like about it!
    Too many tomato plants -Tom knows all about that!
    Love the early clematis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like weird plants. Did Tom start too many? Next year, I'll hold back some of the seeds for following years and only plant a few. Live and learn. It'll be interesting to see how the greenhouse tomato garden does this summer.

      Delete
  11. I love that 2nd Clematis. Happy gardening to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Heating pads are such a huge help starting cuttings, seeds, and plants that need a little boost in spring or a little help through winter. They make a big difference. (Though obviously you don't need them for tomatoes. lol)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tomatoes took their time in sprouting! I was told that with heat they might emerge in as little as three days. It'll be fun to see what happens next year with heat!

      Delete
  13. I don't think your photos of the Paulownia tomentosa are bad at all, I really like the first one - the colours are lovely. The clematis flowers are beautiful too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow holy tomato! I can't wait to see the blooms on the Farfugium japonicum, what a crazy leaf!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, much success with the tomato seeds! Congrats! I'll have to try that one of these years. The Clematises are lovely! Mine are trying to stretch and grow despite repeated nights hovering around freezing, after two weeks without a freeze. Good thing they're facing south and next to the house for warmth. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I don't think I've ever seen that parsley. Love the final shot!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Goodness, that' s a lot of tomatoes. They are going to keep you busy. I have given them up as they get blight outside here.
    Your Pawlonia looks wonderful and I love beautiful Clematis Josephine.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.