-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Friday, April 3, 2015

Visiting A Friend

Alison had a lovely idea for lunch after we visited Dragonfly Farms Nursery.  We went to Henry Hardware in nearby Kingston to see author, blogger, website queen, and friend, Debbie Teashon who is now working as Henry's nursery manager.  Luckily, we caught Debbie on her lunch break and went to a nearby restaurant which was wonderful but I forgot the name.  Anyway, after lunch, we went to check out the nursery and it looks amazing! 


Through her plant choices and display ideas, Debbie has done an exceptional job of making this department a special place to visit!

 Are these the Washington State Ferries that shuttle people and cars across to Seattle?  No that would be a misspelling.

No, it's those pesky flying things.  I hear that a nice mixture of DDT and napalm can rid one's garden of them. However, if we keep buying them accessories and making them special gardens, they'll never leave!

Think about it.  Wouldn't you enjoy lazing around in a setting like this?

Who let these guys out of their cages?

 Here's a cool idea that Debbie came up with.  Using an orchid pot with holes in the sides, plant Sagina subulata (Scotch Moss) inside the holes and eventually it'll cover the pot.  Pretty nifty, eh?

Here's Alison.  Notice that her cart is full.  She has no self control!

What's in your purse Ms. Teashon?

I took too few plant pictures because I was too busy chatting and being impressed by the low prices.

Brunnera 'Jack Frost' is as tough as it is beautiful and tolerates my dry shade very nicely!

Succulents to hang on the wall

or lay on the ground.

Some nice plant combinations!


 So pretty, frilly, and pink.  I admire double tulips but seldom grow them.





 Pretty and edible, a flat of these salad greens almost came home with me. 

The ever-so-photogenic double primroses.


Perhaps Alison isn't the only one who lacks self control...

 I had to replace my Dicentra because the gardener placed a large ceramic pot of plants on top of the one I had after it went dormant.  All spring I've been wondering where that plant went.  I simply must do something about the ineptitude of the gardener!   Stay tuned, we visited one more nursery before heading home.

28 comments:

  1. I do think perhaps it's time to reign in the sport of competitive plant buying. We did have fun that day and seeing Debbie is always a treat! Lunch was at a little cafe called The Axe Handle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what you're talking about. We buy plants, they make us happy. We can quit any time we want. Besides, we owe it to all of the wonderful people in the nursery industry who feed our addiction, um, I mean work so hard to bring us beautiful plants. It's a middle out economics thing and we're doing our part to help with the economic recovery of our country. It would be downright unpatriotic not to continue shopping for plants.

      Delete
  2. Such a lovely nursery. Well, your friend bought a lot! How about you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My friend bought what was in her cart. The last picture is what I bought at the three nurseries we visited that day.

      Delete
  3. Self-control in the garden is overrated and more of a winter thing I think.

    Dicentra doesn't reseed in your garden? I'm actually surprised that a measly pot could keep it from emerging, regardless of how heavy it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're absolutely right about self-control in the garden!

      We have a native dicentra that runs rampant through my yard that I'm always pulling and digging up but the larger cultivated ones don't reseed for me at all. There are lots of things that don't reseed for me, like Hellebores (not that I want or need any more but other people complain about how much seeding around they do.) It could be that there's not a lot of exposed soil most of the time.

      Delete
  4. It's fun to see a creative blogger take the basic nursery concept to a new level. I'm using that idea of planting the openings of an orchid pot and a few others I see in here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie is very creative and has been gardening here for years so I'm not really surprised by how well she's put this together. It was a delight to see.

      Delete
  5. I bet the community is just thrilled to have Debbie at the helm of the local nursery. Looks like she's having fun too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There seemed to be a lot of people shopping there the day we went so folks must enjoy being there. Debbie seems to have fun with whatever she does and she's certainly in her element doing this!

      Delete
  6. Thanks for letting us tag along on your jaunts. I wish I lived nearby, so I could just give you and Alison a list and some money and plants would come back to me. Oh wait. I think there's a service for that. It's called mail order. The UPS truck sped by this morning, not bothering to stop and leave me a package. I felt bereft.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Jean, if you lived nearby, we'd want you to come along on our adventures but would be happy to fill plant orders as well! How rude of the UPS truck to pass you by today!

      Delete
  7. What a lovely selection of plants. Great that you went home with one or two pretties. Funny how impossible it is to go to a nursery and come home with nothing. I find that Brunnera ' Jack Frost' seeds around and comes true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have the magic touch, Chloris! I have several Brunnera 'Jack Frost' and love them but have never had them seed for me.

      Delete
  8. That's a fun visit, and just love that idea with the Sagina!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll buy an orchid pot next time I see one as I also love the idea of a moss -covered pot!

      Delete
  9. Peter, you are an incorrigible gardener. No self control at all. Sure glad we get to come along for free.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's the best garden display I've ever seen in a hardware store. Debbie obviously knows how to appeal to gardeners.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie's done a terrific job there and they're lucky to have her. We're also very lucky in this area to have some smaller hardware stores that really do a nice job with their nursery departments. (It's part of the one nursery required for each five people who live here law.)

      Delete
  11. Peter, you still have spots to plant all these flowers, haven't you?
    I love walk in nurseries and can understand you.
    Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nadezda, If they don't get planted in the ground, they'll find homes in pots. It is fun to walk through nurseries, isn't it!
      Happy Easter to you!

      Delete
  12. Oh, Peter, how can you not love "those pesky flying things"... I know you are just kidding about the napalm.
    I'm a huge fan of Brunera Jack Frost. Except I couldn't spot a volunteer anywhere near it as I know you have. The Scotch Moss idea is a keeper: I cant wait to get state side and get a nursery fix!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually like the idea of fairies helping in the garden. Heaven knows I'm too busy to do all of their work! I garden organically and am, of course, kidding both about DDT and napalm. (O.K. I do use water soluble fertilizer on some of my potted plants and tillandsias.)
      I'm looking forward to your return so that I can see your garden!

      Delete
  13. Looks like a productive outing! But are fairies the same as gnomes, or are gnomes a kind of fairy, or do they attract fairies or the other way round?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, I wouldn't have any self-control there, either. Love the fairy sign and the fairy gardens. I haven't gone down that path yet, but I have a feeling once I start with the fairies, I'll never stop. Too much fun. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. looks like debbie's done a fantastic job making interesting and lovely plant combos. I particularly love the fairy garden stuff. Ideas are swirling ... Enjoy planting the contents of the back seat of the car.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.