-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Friday, April 10, 2015

What Did The Easter Bunny Bring to Watson's?


Watson's Nursery is also on my way home from my Sunday Job but they were closed on Easter. (Can you imagine?)  So, since this week was my spring break, I stopped by on Monday.


Spring has definitely arrived!  You may notice Magnolia 'Elizabeth' blooming in the foreground.  I've noticed that these seem to be blooming a bit later around town than some of the other colors so in addition to being lovely, they extend the magnolia season.  And these are small enough to fit into my car. Very tempting but how many magnolias can one small garden have?

This garden room changes with the seasons.  Always interesting to see how it's decorated.

I like this red and black room but would be tempted to put a checker board on the table to echo the colors.  Why would one put a fabric umbrella over the chimney of the pizza oven, without which no outdoor room is complete?

It seemed that they had more home furnishings, decorator pieces, etc. than usual.  Must be because they're getting ready for their home and garden show on Saturday.


Hey, it's our pal that we went crazy for last year, Alstroemeria 'Rock & Roll.'

I put one in the ground and wintered one in the greenhouse.  Both are doing fine but neither is as robust as the other alstroemerias in my garden.  Of course it isn't usually until year three that they really take off so I'll be patient.


This is the second time that Kalanchoe Synsepala (aka  Walking Kalanchoe) has caught my eye.  It sends small plants out on the ends of long stems. If grown in the ground the babies root and the plant "walks" on.  If grown in a pot, these hang attractively from the sides of the container.  I don't really need any more plants in that greenhouse.  As my pal Loree says, "need is such an ugly word" and there's still lots of space for hanging pots.  O.K. maybe next visit.

Speaking of interesting Kalanchoes, this one had no tag but made me laugh.  It's kind of like someone gave Kalanchoe beharensis a perm.

More xeric delights.  Notice the little palm-looking things?  Teeny tiny Trachycarpus fortunei.  

New delivery of Sarracenia but only two varieties.  

Believe it or not I didn't like Acer palmatum for a long time.  Upon inheriting one with my current garden, and watching it through the years, I've become a fan and now have many.  They are really gorgeous and their foliage changes several times throughout the year.

Speaking of color, Berberis also come in a wide variety.  B. 'Orange Rocket' (not in the picture) is a favorite - nice spring show, beautiful color all summer and in fall, watch out, the foliage will blind you and the leaves remain, in all their autumnal glory, on the bush well into the winter.

Made in the shade (house) the azaleas and rhodies are coloring up nicely.

Pretty sure this is a parrot tulip of some sort  which will look awesome when it opens but looks pretty interesting right now.

American goldfinches, like yellow blooms all over bare branches.   

Finally, a piece of this furniture that I always admire at Sky Nursery in Seattle.  This is the first time I've seen it anywhere else.  Love!

Happy weekend!

28 comments:

  1. My Alstroemeria Rock and Roll stayed in its pot and went into the greenhouse for the coldest part of winter. It's been out for a while now and is sending up new shoots, but it has never flowered again after the first blooms that were on it faded. It seems to be very sensitive to heat and drought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll give it three years and if it's still just putting up weak looking growth, out it'll go!

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful basket especially the mossy covering. And that chair even with bulb food as a pillow looks so inviting. You have good taste in pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jane! Who wouldn't want the Easter Bunny to leave a basket like that?

      Delete
  3. Watson's always looks so nice. That bench is great. Love the pillows too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Watson's is always very clean and the plants look pristine. They take great care of their stock.

      Delete
  4. We're heading out for a nursery tour today. Might have to stop by Watson's again too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't wait to see your post(s) about your nursery tour down here!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Not this time. You see, there's this big plant sale in Portland next weekend... The 'Elizabeth' magnolia almost jumped into the car but where would I put it? I keep eyeing the prime real estate taken up by the bamboo grove but it's fun to have that, invasive as it is.

      Delete
  6. I'm surprised Berberis isn't on the "naughty" list in the PNW. Doesn't it reseed out there like Buddleia does?

    I love wooden garden furniture, and that couch is quite nice. Doesn't look too comfy though -- did you try it out?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For some reason, Berberis doesn't reseed here. Buddleia, on the other hand, is everywhere but only the common purple one. The variegated ones and a few others don't seem to be as much of a problem.

      Interesting point about the comfort of the couch. In all the time I've looked at and admired these, I've never actually sat in one. Maybe because, like the greenhouse, I seldom if ever actually sit in my garden.

      Delete
  7. That nursery is a real showpiece. I'd be popping in there all the time if it was on my route. Love that parrot tulip-such color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest, I visit far more often than I post about. It's a fun place and there's always something interesting happening.

      Delete
  8. Your photo of the walking Kalanchoe sent me out to check on mine - after almost 3 years, it hasn't walked out of its pot yet! (Although, the fact that it's surrounded on all sides by other plants may account for its low profile.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, interesting that yours hasn't walked. Maybe I don't need to get this one. On the other hand, it's already walking a bit.

      Delete
  9. More Kalanchloes to set my sights on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many beautiful ones. Perhaps you should collect them all!

      Delete
  10. Beautiful! The Alstroemeria with variegated leaves looks very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That Alstroemeria was new on the market last year in our area and last winter was mild so it made it through. We'll have to see what happens in a real winter. If it proves as hardy and robust as others, it'll be a winner.

      Delete
  11. I love all your posts from various nurseries. Hope you have a great weekend, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Brenda! Glad that you've healed well from your surgery!

      Delete
  12. My 'Rock and Roll' is growing like a weed. I would have never thought.

    I'm happy that garden center is far away--I could drop a lot of $ there...

    Hope you are having a wonderful weekend, Outlaw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear that your 'Rock and Roll' is doing well! You could always come up with a truck and visit this and many other fun nuseries!

      Visiting lots of nurseries this weekend - so much fun!

      Delete
  13. Spring has certainly sprung!
    Love that wood bench: would look wonderful under a huge aged pine tree in my garden (with added cushions of course).
    I have a love-hate relationship with my orange, non variegated Alstromeria: beautiful flowers but a little thuggish... a pot could be a good solution, I'll give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it has! You need that wood bench! Today, I'm going to plant the seeds from your orange aAstroemeria that you so kindly shared with me. Hooray for spring!

      Delete
  14. Certainly no shortage of spring color at Watson's! The Kalanchoe behind the Walking Kalachoe seems to be birthing (or swallowing) a middle-aged person.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ooh! I love that bench! I'm curious as to what those tulips are going to look like. You'll need to go back and post an update. :o)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.