-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Thursday, April 2, 2015

So, After the Plant Sale...

Alison and I decided to hit a few places. I mean, we were out there anyway, right?   Our first stop was Dragonfly Farms Nursery, a place that I've visited often and love.  Heidi, the owner of Dragonfly, is constantly changing the garden and this year, huge changes are taking place. It's almost like visiting an entirely new garden!  Dragonfly does a lot of landscape projects, design, installation, maintenance and Heidi has a handy tractor with which to garden.  One of the reasons for the big change is that Heidi wants to use the garden as an event venue for weddings (funerals, bar/bat mitzvahs, quinceañeras, ladies' club luncheons, the occasional biker rally...)


Many huge things that many of us would consider permanent fixtures get moved around  like we would move a small potted plant. It's almost disconcerting!  Heidi has boundless energy and is also working on a larger parcel of land that she and her husband have purchased for their retirement.

This is new since I last visited and looks permanent but it's most likely for sale and could be gone by my next visit. 

They say that gardens reflect the personalities of their gardeners. I'd say that this gardener has a great love of plants, a fabulous sense of humor, and is perhaps a touch  hyperactive!  Lucky for us who get to enjoy the result!  Taking up part of the old parking area is this cool patio with built in industrial fire pit.



Re purposed glass light fixture.
The nursery part of the show is still looking great and full of  cool and beautiful things to buy.


Who doesn't love gentians? 

Yucca 'Blue Boy'

The part of the garden on the up side of the hill is changing as well but not as dramatically.

These look great in nurseries and in other people's gardens.

Wollemia nobilis, a living fossil from Australia.

Yucca rostrata
I know what these are but I think they've gone through a name change recently and I've killed at least three and just like in baseball, three strikes and you're out! So I'm not going to bother with the name. They're dead to me!   Pretty though. (Farfugium japonicum crispata) Looks like a special variety but I didn't look at the tag.

Helleborus 

A new interest in Bonsai?




It's a hibiscus of some sort and may be dead or alive but who cares?  Look at that gorgeous moss!

Stachyurus chinensis 'Magpie' in bloom.



Erythronium






From Left to right Podophyllum pleianthum, P. delavayi, P. Spotty Dotty  (guessing)

More lovely color up for adoption!

Baby cones on an Abies koreana


You just never know what you'll find in the gardens and nursery at Dragonfly Farms

"Where abnormality is the normality."  It's always worth the trip!


16 comments:

  1. Those abies cones looks so cute, and even edible...almost!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to see how it finishes up. Heidi truly is a kinetic marvel, she's like a perpetual motion machine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it'll ever be finished as just when we think it is, the tractor will come out again! You're right, Heidi is a kinetic marvel!

      Delete
  3. Love those red red cones on the fir!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your ability to (fairly) easily visit Dragonfly makes me very jealous! Heidi is a treasure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very lucky! but then who lives thirty minutes from Cistus?

      Delete
  5. It's an amazing place but what stood out for me was the light feature repurposed as a pot and that wonderful Stachyurus. Oh, and the Erythonium...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots to love in this ever-changing garden of delights!

      Delete
  6. I need to visit again so I can look at the garden more. I never made it out of the sales area last time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that Far Reaches is open for the season, we should re-do our kitsap nursery hopping expedition!

      Delete
  7. Lovely place, now I must get out and plant my Hellebore which has been sitting in a pot for over a week. Happy Easter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a lovely place! Happy planting and Easter to you, too.

      Delete
  8. Re purposed glass light fixture! I love that creativity; back to the thrift stores I go.
    Heucheras don't look great in my garden either, especially this early in the season. I'm always tempted to pull them out but then by the time I get around to it they recover enough and I take pity on them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can get light fixtures like that at Bedrock Industries located under the magnolia bridge. Your heuchera experience sounds much like my own.

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.