-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Thursday, April 16, 2015

April 2015 Foliage Follow-Up

Thanks to Pam Penick at Digging, we have a meme to celebrate the importance of foliage in our gardens.  Each month on the day after bloom day, Pam hosts the foliar frolic.  Click on over to her blog to see what foliage is catching the eye of garden bloggers this month!   I once tried to have a theme but have given up and just shoot random shots of foliage in my garden that I like. Here, then, is this months offering.

Pittosporum 'Tom Thumb' beginning it's magic of putting out chartreuse new foliage that looks stunning against the dark older foliage.

Tulip 'Fire of Love.'  Who cares if it blooms or not?

Fatsia japonica variegata 

This Acer palmatum (name slips my mind) really is this vibrant for a month or so after which it calms down a bit.  

Crazy rhododendron that I got in a tiny pot at Heronswood a million years ago, has become a very handome shrub and puts out new growth that looks like this year.  Now up to my chest, it's yet to bloom but I chose it for the foliage.
 And speaking of Heronswood, this variegated daylily was among the last plants I purchased there before they shut down a few weeks later.  Wouldn't it have been nice if someone had removed last year's dead leaves before taking a picture?

Another Acer palmatum.  There are so many out there now...


Syneilesis  

Our native Corydalis scouleri puts up this nice three foot tall clump foliage every year.

Varigated Stachyurus praecox


Podophyllum  delavayi and Ribes sanguineum 'Brocklebankii'

Clerodendrum 

 Helleborus argutifolius 'Pacific Frost'


Rhus typhina 'Bailtiger'  AKA Tiger Eyes Staghorn Sumac


Pieris Japonica  'Mountain Fire'  (The screaming orange new growth goes through a color change before it turns green.)  Pay no attention to the weeds.
Now it's your turn to share your foliage.

20 comments:

  1. No need to have a theme when you have so many varied things to choose from and showcase. Very nice selection as always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks M & G! It's hard to go wrong with so much happening in the garden in April!

      Delete
  2. Wow, that Podophyllum delavayi and Ribes was an inspired combination for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You say inspired; I say total accident. It is pretty though.

      Delete
  3. I have a similar mottled Podophyllum delavayi that I've never quite known what to pair it with. The golden foliage of that Ribes is fab. I used to try to do themes with my FF posts, like combos, etc., but now I just do the same as you, a bunch of random leaves that have caught my eye, or that I've managed to take decent photos of. You've shown a nice variety of plants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The random thing is more fun anyway! I think that Carex elata 'Aurea' (Bowles' Golden Sedge) might also be good with Podophyllum delavayi.

      Delete
  4. Lovely foliage and stunning photos. I' be just been admiring Syneleisis on Alison' s blog, it' s new to me. You have such gorgeous foliage you don' t really need flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Syneleisis is fairly easy to grow and is delightful. There is sure a lot of nice foliage springing up this time of year!

      Delete
  5. A great collection of folage. I love the Pittosporum 'Tom Thumb', i have not seen it before. My favorite is the Podophyllum delavayi and Ribes sanguineum 'Brocklebankii' the combination of chartreuse and crazy mottled burgundy leaves next to each other delights me to know end! I really should go look at my folage! Happy spring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy spring to you Laurin! That foliage combination has become a favorite of mine and it happened quite by accident.

      Delete
  6. Such stunning foliage plants - I've never seen 'Fire of Love' tulip before, but I must say, that it almost doesn't need flowers - it's just amazing! I love the combination of podophyllum and ribes, it is really striking :-) Matt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Matt, 'Fire of Love' has a nice red flower but it's anticlimactic after such glorious foliage. I'm tempted to cut the buds when they appear.

      Delete
  7. One gorgeous selection after another. I think I freaked out about that tulip foliage last year but apparently that doesn't prevent a repeat reaction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that great tulip foliage? Can't wait to see if it comes back next year!

      Delete
  8. Oh my god, that tulip ! Where in the world did you get that ? You have splendid foliage this month Peter !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. The tulip came from Brent and Becky's https://store.brentandbeckysbulbs.com/Tulipa-Fire-of-Love/Liliaceae/Tulipa/Fire-of-Love/Tulip You can also get them pre cooled!

      Delete
  9. Shazam, that tulip! Such stunning leaves, I wouldn't care if it bloomed either. The Japanese maples are so pretty at this time of year too. And I'm cracking up over your "foliar frolic." Thanks for frolicking with me, Peter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That tulip is a winner! It's always fun to frolic with friends! Thanks for hosting so that we can carry on like this!

      Delete
  10. You have so much beautiful foliage, who needs flowers?! Lots of colour, shape and texture on your plants, I love them all!

    ReplyDelete
  11. All the foliage is so fresh and new about now. You have selected well, my friend.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.