-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Monday, June 23, 2014

A Return to Judi Hook's Garden

I love garden art and am especially fond of the work of Judi Hook.  Fortunately, she enjoys sharing her latest work with me.  See some previous visits here.  A few weeks ago, I got to see what Judi's been up to lately. 



I love this combination of metal  and one of her  her "seed pods"

Rusty and shiny two of my favorite things!

A new colossal-siced (nearly 4 feet) piece.  This bright orange color reminds me of the sun.

These simply glow when the sun hits them!

Warm colors are especially welcome in the winter when they brighten our gray days.


Allium on steroids.  This one may need to come home with me someday soon.

Judi has started powder coating some of her work.  I love this sparkly blue/purple color!


The powder coating transforms these into elegant pieces for gardeners who aren't fond of rusty metal.



Another of the combination pieces.

Plum and orange. Delicious!

 Judi runs a horse boarding business, rides and shows horses  which explains the fences everywhere.   This new work is in a field behind her studio in the barn. 

Walking through the barn was quite a treat as I haven't been around horses for years.  They're such beautiful animals.  The sound of birdsong in the barn was delightful.  Judi pointed out many swallow nests.  She looks forward to their returning to nest each year.  Is that cute or what?

Judi's still working her magic growing sempervivum on rocks. 


A neighbor asked Judi to make a finial for his flagpole; she came up with this and liked it so much that she made one for herself and is displaying it on driftwood.





Revisiting some old friends.



 So excited was I with looking at her latest creations that I forgot to take many pictures of he gorgeous gardens. 
 
I hope you enjoyed seeing this new stuff.  If you'd like to purchase any of Judi's work, give her a call at (253) 847 - 2937.  I know someone who will be driving to Portland for the fling and would be delighted to bring any of it to you!


21 comments:

  1. The powder coating is cool, but I prefer the rusty metal. I've seen the one in your garden, and I have to say I was really surprised how big these are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some smaller ones as well but they are pretty big!

      Delete
  2. The swallow nests are adorable. Before you pointed them out I thought I was looking a muddy hoof print on the barn floor! I like Judi's work, rust and paint. The problem is choosing! What's the trick to growing sempervivum on a rock?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judy asked which was my favorite and I said that I want them all. She's always making something new and finding different ways of doing things. Judy gathers moss in a bundle and puts sempervivum offsets into the bundle and puts the whole business on a rock. How it all stays together is a mystery to me!

      Delete
  3. "for gardeners who aren't fond of rusty metal"...I thought all gardeners had to love rusty metal...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not a hard and fast rule. I hear that some people like galvanized metal as well:)

      Delete
  4. Nice finish on the powder coated ones but still a fan of rusty metal here :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do your deliveries extend to Southern California! I'm going to keep Judi's phone number. Her creations are beautiful and would make great gifts (if I could bear letting them go after getting my grubby paws on them, that is).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I wee going to be driving to California but unfortunately, not this summer. Judi can make some of them so that they can be mailed though.

      Delete
  6. Interesting pieces of garden art. We don´t see these kind of things here. Ah, and I love those birds inside their nest :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't see them here either which is why I'm so excited about Judi's work. The birds wee so sweet and there were nests all over the barn!

      Delete
  7. Rusty and shiny are two favorite things for me too. Also blue, including that blue glass. This work would be great for magic shows and planetariums.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for including a photo of her garden. I like to know the setting for things, like her art works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her garden is wonderful. There are more pictures of her garden in the earlier posts about her work.

      Delete
  9. I would have no trouble picking one out. For me, it's the plum and orange number...would love to see it worked into a borde, especially on with lots of chartreuse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The next to last picture? If so, that's the one I fell in love with. She made one for me that is similar but somehow turned out larger. Love it!

      Delete
  10. Does Judy have a website for her garden art? It's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She has no website yet but perhaps will at some point. For now the only way to contact her is by phone (253) 847-2937

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.