-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Friday, June 13, 2014

Luncheon in the Garden of Good. And Evil

Far from Savannah, after we left the fabulous Rare Plant Research open, Alison, Loree and I met at McMenamins Kennedy School for lunch.    McMenamins does an amazing job of re purposing cool old buildings (funeral parlors, masonic lodges, in this case, a school)  and transforming them into pubs and hotels.  Check out their website! They also do a phenomenal job of making interesting and beautiful gardens on their properties as well.

Oh the colors.  The fremontodendron blooming it's head off is even more stunning with the purple of the berberis in the foreground (washed out in this picture but it was brilliant) and the blue foliage of something (nolina?  Yucca rostrata 'Sapphire Skies?' Anyone?

So, what does one do with a lot of large old window weights for huge double hung windows?  

Just another tuft of grass. 

We sometimes take for granted the lushness possible in our gardens in this neck of the woods.

Embothrium coccineum is so bright that it's difficult to photograph although Alison got a great shot!

Walking down the petal-strewn sidewalk it's Ms. Danger herself.   The fling itinerary was made public today and I'm thrilled to see that this garden is on the tour.  I usually only see parts of it on the way to and from the pub. 

Yes Alison, in Portland looking for patches of blue sky is an actual pastime for many.  There, I think I saw one!

Looks like she might be saying "Point that camera at me one more time and you'll learn why I'm called Danger!"   Lunch was wonderful and I escaped unscathed!  So far so good.  What about the evil part, you may be asking.

These opuntias may look sweet but I swear they can throw their glochids (furry soft looking things that feel very nice until they're stuck in your skin and cause irritation!) several feet.  They stand there like silent gunmen in a western movie laying in wait for their next victim!



Can you guess whose garden we might be visiting?
Here's a clue.  Perhaps not so much evil as just a bit dangerous. 

And another.  Notice the new fence and stock tank.  Got it yet?


Agave 'Joe Hoak'  

You've surely figured it out by now.

A masterful combination of foliage.  Totally in love. 

I wonder if Clifford asked permission to get an erring?  You know how rebellious teenagers can be!

You got it!  This is the one and only Danger Garden!   The pots have all just come out of their winter exile inside and Loree is pondering how to arrange them.  Notice how cool and collected she appears?  This is what happens when one dresses to match her garden -  She becomes one with the space. 

I don't want to show too much and ruin surprise for those of you attending the fling.

The garden has undergone several huge changes since I first saw it and although I followed the progress on Loree's blog, I wasn't prepared for how very different, more refined, more fabulous, more full of great plants the space looked.   Thanks Loree for the sneak peek of the danger that awaits us lucky flingers!

29 comments:

  1. Thanks for the preview Peter (and yes I also noticed Loree's shirt!), a nice taster and can't wait the see both 'good and evil' in the flesh soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loree is always so adorable and kind - really not dangerous at all. The itinerary for the Portland fling looks marvelous! See you soon!

      Delete
  2. How did I not notice you taking pictures of us at lunch? I think you finally managed to capture me looking less than wonderful. Your pictures of both the school and Loree's garden all came out so much better than mine. I think the shot of the Embothrium that I took was the only one that looked blog-worthy. I'm just going to have to go back to Portland some day just to see more of the garden at the school. It looked so interesting, but we only saw a tiny bit of it. I need a much longer look at Loree's garden too. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you look wonderful (I love your glasses so much!). Thanks Peter for the sneak peek of two Fling gardens. I can't wait for the big show!

      Delete
    2. Heather is right, you look wonderful Alison, like you are studying whatever Loree is pointing to. I wish we'd spent more time in Loree's front garden as well because it's full of treasures.

      Delete
  3. "o, what does one do with a lot of large old window weights for huge double hung windows?"

    I saw that and gasped before I scrolled on down to see. We had weights from about a dozen windows and could never find a use for them, so we gave them to the Scrap Man.

    Maybe they're more attractive up close. I'm glad ours are gone. I am fond of rusty iron but a mound with iron pieces sticking out, well... a good place to practice intensive weeding at my place. I am still pondering on what to do with the plow pieces and bits of rusty tin I found.

    Alison, you always look wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These wights are fairly large. I think that my angle wasn't the best as the mounds with weights actually looked like sea urchins from a distance.

      You are right about Alison!

      Delete
  4. Every time I see those window weights I think of a comment someone once left on my blog. I'd done a post on the Kennedy School gardens and the addition of them as well as the purple and pink pieces. Someone told me "not to quit my day job" meaning I'd never make it as an artist. Ha! Obviously they couldn't even read enough to discover I had nothing to do with the artwork.

    Anyway...you ARE pushing your luck with so many photos of moi. Good thing you also said nice things about my garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too funny about the blog comment! Both your and your garden are beautiful; thanks for sharing both with us!

      Delete
  5. A larger garden can certainly handle such window weights. I appreciate reusing anything and everything possible. Once the plants grow and fill in a little more it would be a great display. I'm smitten by the orange Loree uses everywhere and those dinner plates with the a serving of sedum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loree wrote on her blog about how she made those succulent planters. I keep meaning to copy the idea but have to catch up on some garden basics like planting and weeding before I'm ready. The orange in Loree's garden adds great warmth and contrast to the plants.

      Delete
  6. You are so lucky having so many wonderful gardens to visit, each post gets better and better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am indeed a lucky person to be able to see so many lovely gardens!

      Delete
  7. Great visit, thanks for sharing. I refuse to grow opuntias because I've been pierced one too many times and can't get the darned things out. I do love to look at them in OPG's (Other People's Gardens)

    Especially loved seeing Loree's garden through your lens and how tasteful of her to wear a matching outfit. Great post Peter! thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So, there's this duct tape thing...apply the duct tape to the glochid infested area, rub it on well and leave it there for thirty minutes, rip it off and the glochids will come off with it but your hair will not. A magnifying glass and tweezers also work but really? Why not grow Opuntia 'Ellisiana' that is glochid and spine free!

      Loree is always so nicely put together!

      Delete
  8. I look forward to seeing both of these gardens on the Fling tours. Loree always stylishly dresses to match her garden, doesn't she? She must have a LOT of orange!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be great to see these and all of the gardens on the fling itinerary!

      She also wears green sometimes.

      Delete
  9. Like a stab to the heart, I will miss seeing these gardens and I just found out I cannot attend the fling. But, really fun to see them through your lens!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no Jennifer! I'm so sorry that you won't be attending the fling! It won't be the same without you but life happens.

      Delete
  10. You're getting us all revved up for the Fling with these sneak peeks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Portland itinerary is full of fun looking stops!

      Delete
  11. as always, enjoy seeing lots of interesting and lovely gardens via your blog. It also seems like a great garden community that you're part of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad that you enjoy the gardens! The garden community is the best part of garden blogging I think!

      Delete
  12. I caught a glimpse of that fremontodendron and embothrium after visiting Loree. I'd love a closer look!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The garden around the school is really cool and worth a look!

      Delete
  13. This post is GREAT! I couldn´t read it before as I was with no internet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it, Lisa, and that you're connected to the internet again.

      Delete
  14. Fun post, Peter. i wish I was attending the fling. I know you'll take lots of photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Grace! There's always next years fling!

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.