-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

WeHop and Petula; Our Kitsap Nursery Romp Continues


It's always a treat to visit WeHop, the gang of bloggers that I was a part of that descended on Western Horticultural  Products were in for a special surprise this time.   We were greeted by beds filled with fabulous color.




I never grow tired of looking at echiverias!

On the grounds of this business, also the site of Sally Priest's own home and garden, there are greenhouses that have served WeHop's needs and those of Sally's other business which creates truly unusual combination plantings in big blue pots that adorn various areas of Poulsbo's downtown. 

Sally's garden also contains some of WeHop's products that Sally is running performance trials with.

And all around are large pots with combinations of plants that are relatively new to being used this far north. Really, if you're going to use plants as annuals, they might as well be interesting, right?




Loree listens as Sally tells us about the pots in Poulsbo.  I got a list and hope to get over there to look before too long to check them out.  Notice Sally's top.

She dressed to match one of her two dogs.  Mr. personality plus had us throwing a stick for him for quite a bit of our visit. What a cutie!

One very special surprise was the delicious lunch that Sally had prepared for us!  Thank you so much, Sally. This was totally unexpected and very kind of you!

Anna, Debbie, Alison, Loree, and Laura hear Pirate stories.

Now they're joined by Tonya and Sally.

Echiveria flowers are almost as interesting as the plant itself.


The festivities are being watched over by this stone-faced fellow.

Aeonium 'Cyclops' (guessing)

We saw Synadenium grantii 'Rubra' planted in several places in the garden and were enthralled by it!

It's quite lovely with the sun shining through it!

A new annual  for next year is  hybrid Gomphrena 'Pink Zazzle'  This annual with it's fuzzy leaves and zingy (I know it's not a word) flowers is sure to be a big hit.  Ask for it (nag) at your local nursery.

Cute idea that Sally came up with.  Inexpensive votive candle holders into which the 2" pots of succulents fit perfectly are caught in chicken wire affixed to a brightly painted window sash. 


Sempervivum (always alive) such a wonderful name for a sweet group of plants more commonly called Hens and Chicks or something else.

Guardsman, one of my favorite phormiums looking quite handsome in front of a chartreuse window.

More gorgeousness.




Dramatic and dangerous Dyckias.






Another surprise was exemplified by this bridge leading to closed gates bearing a sign that reads "The Future"  we can see glimpses of pots back there but  because of the distance, there's  a sense of something wonderful and mysterious to come.



Tonya (Sales and Plant Stories)  and Mike (The Driver with Lots of Ideas) Cole and Sally (Sales and Plant Whispering) are forming a new company called Petula.  Check out their website at http://www.PetulaPlants.com .  It seems that WeHop, the company that trucks plants up from growers in California will be concentrating on liners to be grown on by those in the nursery biz while Petula will be bringing in finished plants ready to plant.  The same truck will deliver WeHop and Petula products.  Petula will also offer marketing  and a variety of other ideas to nursery owners.  Very exciting for those of us who love finding unusual plants in nurseries.  As the picture suggests, the future looks bright.

Thanks Sally and Tonya for such a great time at your place.  We all wish you well with your new and exciting business!




20 comments:

  1. You got some great pictures. I find it's hard to really engage with people and the experience of seeing all those great plants AND also take great pictures, but somehow you manage to do it. That Synadenium is really lovely, and I like the Phormium too. What a delightfully fun day that was!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hard sometimes not to just put the camera down and enjoy experiences but I've found that if I take pictures, I get to enjoy the experience again and again. If others are with me, they notice different things and I have the opportunity to continue exploring through their posts. It was indeed a fun day!

      Delete
  2. What a concept, focusing on gardeners who love special plants.

    Love the new gomphrena and I will "ask" at my favorite nursery next year. Gomphrena in nearly unbeatable in my climate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you linked to Petula, I've been so busy I haven't had a chance to check it out yet but now I will.

    Love that you got a still shot of the adorable and energetic dog! And can I pay you to take down that shot of me with the Calothamnus villosus? Please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The site is still under construction but what's there is interesting. Can't wait to hear more about this new and exciting business! That dog was a lot of fun and if we didn't need the space for plants, he could have come along with us in the car don't you think? Picture, what picture?

      Delete
  4. What fun! I am excited to see the new plants we can grow here in the gardening capital of the world. I've got Petula's blog on my Feedly now. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm excited to see what next season will bring with Petula and how their presence may influence some retail nurseries.

      Delete
  5. There are several conceptual things going on there which makes the garden more fascinating. great place and even greater company!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoy seeing your photos of exotic plants and gardens, particularly because I'm not likely to grow them, but they are fun to look at. My sister has a French bulldog, she says they are great, non-demanding and tidy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally understand. This is the same reason that I enjoy blogs from around the world; totally different plants sometimes but design issues and the motivation to garden are quite often the same. That was one cute dog! Haven't met many dogs that I haven't liked.

      Delete
  7. The combinations of plants in pots are great!!! I would certainly copy them if I could purchase those plants in Madrid, but no chance... love the first dyckia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sally comes up with really interesting combinations! It sounds like there are not a lot of specialty nurseries in Madrid. Thanks for coming along for the tour!

      Delete
    2. No, not even a few. Always the same plants.
      Thanks for the tour!

      Delete
    3. I'm very sorry Lisa and hope that someone changes that! Say, have you ever thought of starting a nursery?

      Delete
  8. Wow - you certainly saw some great things that I completely missed! Love the succulent-filled votive candle holders in the chicken wire. And your photo of the Echeveria flowers is scrumptious! I tried, but failed miserably on that one. Good to know that I can refer to yours instead! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fun to see shared garden visits trough a variety of lenses as everyone focuses on something different or has slightly different angles. Can't wait until our next nursery romp!

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.