-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Monday, September 30, 2013

Look What Came in the Mail Today!

 
You may recall that I said here that I was excited about  some of the new Aglaonema cultivars  coming out of Thailand and that I had ordered a seriously red one.  Well, on Saturday, I went to the post office to pick up a registered parcel.


What can one expect from something that's been in the mail for about three weeks?  Maybe a withered little slip of a thing?  A pleasant surprise awaited as I opened the box and saw this big bunch of green edged red leaves.  The full page from a Thai newspaper added to the exotic feel of the experience. 


Is this gorgeous or what?  It's as beautiful as the picture that I saw online. 

Here it is potted up, still looking a little crooked but as new roots grow and it straightens to follow the light, it will be fine.  I love these leaves and wonder how with so little chlorophyll they'll be able to survive.  The Aglaonemas are low light tolerant plants though so maybe that's why the predominantly red leaf works.   Aglaonema "RED ELEPHENT LEAF" [sic] is what it's called on ebay but I don't know if that's the correct cultivar name or not.   

I do know that I'm happy with the  plant and hope it's as happy with me as the Aglaonema 'Valentine' that I got a couple of years ago!  What do you think?  Too gaudy, tasteless, tacky?  (we're talking the plant here, not me o.k.) 

30 comments:

  1. Wow, that's bright! You won't need to buy any poinsettias at Christmas-time! I actually like it--nice to have bright foliage around, especially in the winter! What a great job the vendor seems to have done with packing and shipping, too! I think it's a winner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, no poinsettias necessary! The vendor did an exceptional job of packing this as it had to be sent bare root but the roots were wrapped in moist moss and a little newspaper so it made the trip well.

      Delete
  2. Not a houseplant fan but I could be swayed with something that was easy in low light and looked that good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kill houseplants and don't care for them at all which is strange because the house and my classroom are full of tender plants that I haul in for the winter. (That doesn't count, right?) Anyway, this thing with the red leaves is sort of fun and easy so I'll see if it will live.

      Delete
  3. Wow! All the way from Thailand? Cool! It sure has a pretty red leaf.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did a web search for the red-leafed varieties and the only place I could find them was on ebay from a vendor in Thailand. It was a fun way to waste some birthday money.

      Delete
  4. You win the prize for long distance plant purchasing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the prize. I don't order many plants through the mail (bulbs and stuff from Annie's) but this one caught my eye. I bet that agaves would ship really well...'Joe Hoak' or some of the others on your list might be only a click away.

      Delete
  5. It's amazing that it could travel that far, that long, and look so good. And no, people can be too gaudy and tasteless, but not plants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did very well on its long journey. Good to know that about plants although those double oriental lilies they've come out with make me wonder.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Ain't it grand? Thanks, I will surely enjoy it if I don't kill the plant.

      Delete
  7. Can't get too exotic for me: thumbs up on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Plants are amazing. It looks great for such a long dark trip. Can you imagine when people used to have to take steam liners places? Three weeks on a boat and I would look *much* worse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why they created those cool little glass houses for plants to take long voyages in. Plants are pretty interesting and resilient!

      Delete
  9. They could easily give Caladiums a run for their money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The coloration of this one and Valentine remind me very much of that of Caladiums but these are even less hardy. They don't mind spending the summer outside as long as the nights don't get below 55 or so.

      Delete
  10. Just read your response to Les...and I was all set to get one myself, darn it! It's gorgeous, Peter!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful!
    I love it!
    Lea
    Lea's Menagerie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful red leaves. That's amazing it looks so good after three weeks in a box.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are pretty gorgeous and you're right, it looks great after having spent three weeks in a box!

      Delete
  13. It is really exciting to receive plant by mail... it is like receiving a present even if you paid them, hehehe. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd forgotten that I ordered it and was happily surprised to get it!

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.