-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Friday, September 27, 2013

If I Were a Bird

If I were a bird,  I'd have to have incredibly huge wings to get this body off the ground.  On second thought, maybe I'd have given up and would have wings more akin to those of penguins. I digress.  The point is that were we birds, we'd view our gardens differently.  Anyway, I'm not all that keen on flying.  Maybe I was a bird in a former life who flew into someone's window.   Kicking around the old computer somewhere I have some pictures of the garden from the roof and from scaffolding which we've had up around the house at various times.  They're fun to look at and see how the garden has changed through the years.  We've no scaffolding this year and I'm also not all that thrilled about walking on the roof.  Instead, here are some shots taken from upstairs windows. What would a bird notice?


A bird would certainly see some great nesting and hiding areas and lots of buggy food.  A bird might also wonder why there doesn't appear to be any open space in which to grow sun and heat loving plants.  Caution:  This is what happens when you plant things that get big!

The bird would also notice that the square plastic buckets used when weeding should have been put away.  But really, why bother?  the plant covered thing just left of bottom center is the patio table which has been used as a plant stand all summer.  Oh well, it's interesting to sit and look at the plants.

A bird might also wonder why the potted tender succulent collection is now spilling over onto parts of the path.


 Or what this amorphous mass of green is all about.


A bird would definitely wonder why the leaves haven't been blown off the sidewalk.

This bird asks too many questions.  Anyone have a slingshot?  The garden does make a little more sense from ground level (but not much.)

Happy Friday Everyone!

34 comments:

  1. Happy Friday Peter! This point of view made an interesting post. A different perspective on most things is always good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is fun to see things from a different angle every now and then.

      Delete
  2. I was thinking your bird just needed to stop asking so many questions and be thankful for its beautiful surroundings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your garden is beautiful from the air. I would nestle into the green mass an hang out for a bit for sure if I were bird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louis. You'd be more than welcome to fly around my garden and hang out as long as you'd like.

      Delete
  4. Your bird's eye view beats a diagram all to heck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although, because of the angle, it's difficult to see the open spaces. Oh wait, there aren't any. Never mind.

      Delete
  5. Love these birds-eye views...but agree...the bird should keep his comments to himself ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, some birds have no manners but what can you expect from creatures who poop while in flight? Maybe that's just seagulls.

      Delete
  6. I think the bird would care more about all the cover and insects than stuff not put away. Birds don't mind a little mess, as long as it's not in their own nest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The birds don't seem to mind my mess very much. right now the squirrels are very active eating all of the walnuts from a neighbor's tree and the hazel nuts from mine. goofy critters!

      Delete
  7. Bravo! love this post. I really enjoy bird's eye views of gardens. Marvelous

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tanks Deanne. I see the upstairs views every day and it's interesting how different they are in the summer and winter. I'll have to do a four seasons series from up there.

      Delete
  8. Garden looks fabulous. Who cares what the bird thinks--they have bird brains!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hoov but you may get in trouble with the BLO (Bird Liberation Organization) Or BAD (Birds Against Defamation)

      Delete
  9. The bird would think it was in a jungle, and expect to find some bananas. The bird would be amused at all the varying leaf textures, shapes, and colors. The bird thought it saw a large hazelnut tree but didn't care, not being a squirrel, but wondered where all the tropical fruit was hiding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Silly bird. The bananas will be on the banana plants of just about everyone else in the PNW especially Justin from Growing Steady whose bananas bloomed very early this summer. Mine didn't bloom this year as they'd really like the same amount of sun that they used to get before that hazel and maple grew up so much around it.

      Delete
  10. I came late enough to your post and see that everyone else has said what I was going to say about "The Bird" and what and how it sees.....So suffice it to say, "Have a fine weekend! Hope you enjoy the same beautiful weather we're enjoying here in northeast Indiana!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rebecca. We're actually having a big wind and rain storm. The rain was coming down so heavily this morning that there were roads that were partially flooded and the street drains, especially in lower areas, were so full that water was gushing out of them, manhole covers had water spurting up through the holes like fountains. Fortunately, we live in a higher area and for the last 10 minutes or so the rain has stopped falling quite so hard. It's predicted to continue through the night and even heavier winds are predicted for tomorrow. Lets hope that the trees are able to hold up!

      Delete
  11. Oh Peter! Such a delightful post :) I think a bird would notice all the safe, nesting and roosting places and feel very much at home in your garden!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Actually, I think the bird would find it a fascinating habitat to explore! What a great idea to consider one's garden from the birds' viewpoint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the idea came from Alan at It's not work it's gardening and Loree at Danger garden who posted similar views of their gardens last year.

      Delete
  13. Well your bird's-eye view pix refute the Red Hot Chili Pepper's refrain from their song Scar Tissue:
    "...With the birds I'll share this a lonely view and..."

    No lonely view for birds over your garden. Hard to be lonely when there's all the great plants!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The birds seem to enjoy all of the foliage as much as I do. Happy new week!

      Delete
  14. Peter, if I were a bird...I always think so, particularly when I'm in a plane, looking down at the Earth. And I would like to see your garden, looking from the high sky. I love your next to last photo: color changes from blue to yellow, great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is fun to look down from a plane or a high place. Thank you, Nadezda and have a wonderful new week!

      Delete
  15. Your garden looks fabulous Peter, and that first photo alone, wow!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm not sure I'd ask myself any of those questions if I were a bird. I'd probably just dive right into one of those huge trees and decide never to leave. Your garden looks lush and inviting. I think humans are much more critical than birds, anyway. Feel the love, amigo. Your garden is fabulous. :o)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.