-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Monday, September 9, 2013

Is Your Mind in the Gutter?

On Saturday I had the most excellent plant adventure with some garden blogger friends (LoreeAnna, and Laura)  from Portland, my field trip partner in crime, Alison,  a pirate, and a cowboy.  I know this sounds like a set up for one of those "special" movies but really, it was just a wonderful day of nursery plundering and garden touring.  Don't ask Anna about compost in her pants.  What happens at  the nursery romp stays at the nursery romp.  Anyway, we came back from visiting 6 amazing nurseries, attending a plant sale, touring Heronswood and a private garden with vehicles stuffed full of plants and very happy gardeners.  I'll post about that special day later.  
 
What does one do the day after doing nothing but looking at and talking about plants all day (and buying quite a few?)  That's right, he goes to Lowes to see what's happening at the garden center there.  To be fair, I just got paid and decided to splurge on a new chainsaw so I wasn't going to look at plants but they were there so why not?
 
If your mind isn't in the gutter, perhaps it should be.
 

This project display area is something new.  I think I'd see if the gutters came in brown or maybe invest in a can of spray paint but the idea is cute and one could really enlarge a collection of small cacti and succulents utilizing a scheme like this.
 
These tables look like someone was doing a demonstration.  Did you notice the green Monrovia pots?   Some sort of cross promotion with a variety of products featured?


Yes, it's true that Monrovia is now openly selling product in the box stores.   Interestingly, all of their product was displayed on this branded table and was  largely the same run of the mill (garden staples - evergreens)  material that's always been carried here.  I wonder if the big box stores will be getting more adventurous in their plant offerings as time goes on.
 
I'm not sure who is responsible for this but I laughed aloud at the sight because Hoover Boo at A Piece of Eden posted this a few days ago.   I agree with her, this should be illegal!  (For all of you out there who may be getting your picket signs ready to warn the government to keep their hands out of your garden,  this is not a literal statement.  I am a fan in less government interference in personal topiary practice but this really is a crime against horticulture.)  O.K. they might be cute with little twinkle lights on them lining a pathway at Christmas or if you're a Texan, I can see the appeal of the star but that's it.  Everyone else, just say no!


Maybe it's just a matter of finding the right accessory to make them work.  Context is everything, right?

There was a big display of this salvia from Smith Gardens in Bellingham.  The plants were in six inch pots but were HUGE! (larger than the two gallon plants at other stores.   Looks a lot like Amistad, no?  The highly informational tag simply said "Salvia $9.95."  Great price, right?

What would look great with this gorgeous purple salvia?  Why yes, a couple of Yucca 'Color Guard' would be great!  At only $19.95 for a these very nice five gallon specimens, I was sorely tempted, that's how sick I am.  Doesn't matter that I still haven't put the one I got this spring in the ground yet.  To be fair, they look really nice year round in shiny ceramic pots!


Really, that bright cheerful and warm color is just the thing to brighten the garden in the gray parts of the year.  And you know Pam loves these too so a couple should come home with me, right?  
 
I escaped plantless but with a chainsaw, potting soil, and some steer manure. Gardening is so glamorous!

18 comments:

  1. I am impressed with all your garden center is doing. I hope that trend makes it way here. I would have to have that purple salvia - what a gorgeous color - but am not too sure about the stars, even though I am a Texan! ;) I think they would be adorable at Christmas, but then I would have to throw them away. I could never keep them trimmed, and they would eventually become blobs - hey, that gives me an idea - maybe the next year they could be snowmen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Look at you with the great idea to reuse the stars when they've become blobs! This stuff happening at Lowes was relatively new. Don't think that they'll ever carry the unusual stuff that some independent nurseries do. However, every now and then, they'll have an unusual gem.

      Delete
  2. Can't wait to hear about another most excellent blogger adventure.

    Meanwhile back at the ranch....while you did give Texans a pass on the stars, I'd have to agree with Holley and say they look like a lot of work.

    I did notice that Lowe's has begun to show more plants and outdoor items in vignettes though the project idea displays aren't here yet. Lowe's does carry a lot of native plants due to a big push by the city and our water service.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I gave Texans a pass on the stars because I hear that one is not supposed to mess with Texas. Wouldn't want to offend anyone!

      We have at least four Lowes that I visit and, while they carry some of the same things, their plant departments are all very different. Interesting. The one closest to me has a really great indoor plant area while another has sad house plants but a superior outdoor area. Go figure. It's nice that they're receptive to local requirements/requests.

      Delete
  3. I have to admit, I've done the same thing...spent an entire day shopping and talking plants...only to go shopping the next day too! Often, I suspect I do it to avoid the actual work at home :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may be right about the work avoidance thing. The fact that I bought work stuff made me feel justified in avoiding work.

      Delete
  4. I am so impressed that you managed to restrain yourself and didn't buy any plants! But I might just have to check out that $9.95 Salvia Amistad look-alike. I gardened yesterday (after getting up at 5 to drive Nigel to the airport). Got another day of gardening planned for today.

    Saturday was such a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't been to a Lowes in ages, now you've got me wondering what Monrovia plants they might have here. I'm a little concerned about you and a chainsaw. Promise me there won't be any crazy ladder moments?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the laugh, you know me too well. Just going to take out some holly and (sorry) part of a lilac that is taking over some valuable real estate. The thing has suckered everywhere and made a thicket.

      Delete
  6. I never go to Lowe's, but the Home Depot here has some interesting plants in addition to the ordinary stuff. They even label the succulents with full information while some of the high tone nurseries still just refer to them as "succulents". I don't know how much more adventurous you would want that store to get, after the evergreen stars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a good point, the stars might be a warning not to become more adventurous.

      Delete
  7. I agree, the pink flamingo really makes those pink flowers POP! Getting my mind into the gutter, I am picturing those hydroponic strawberry farms with the strawberries just hanging out of them covered with fruit. Not a bad idea. I think I saw similar salvia at the HD. They would be more tempting if it weren't so late in the season. Your nursery hopping sounds great, like offering drugs to an addict. I have to admit I came home from Fred Meyer with a nice Veronica spicata 'Summer Border Blue' plant, loaded with nice purple spikes of flowers and so stiff. My Veronica flops like crazy and the blooms are a washed out blue, so how could I resist? It will look great with geranium Rozanne. I'm still getting down to the wire trying to get all the weeds out of my beds before I fall-sow annuals and perennials from wildflower mixed packets. After that I go back to digging out 5 million blackberry vines. Who could ask for anything more? I was thinking you could accessorize those stars with belts and jewelry or make them look like cowboys... But Texans should only buy one since it is the Lone Star State. I should know, I lived there for 18 years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right, only one star for Texans! Your new Veronica sounds beautiful and I'm picturing it in my mind with the geranium. Hope you post about it! Blackberries...grrrrr!

      Delete
  8. Peter - I'm proud of you for resisting their shameless temptation and not buying any more plants! You'd be proud of me too - ALL the plants I brought home are in the ground! (And the compost has been removed from my pants.) They are not in the *right* place yet, but I hope it will take longer for them to die from neglect, while I finish my garage wall project. Second coat goes on today. If you feel up for another felling adventure, bring your chainsaw next time you come to Portland. I have a suckering lilac too, that HAS to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, you've been a busy woman! Glad to hear that the compost removal was successful! My plants from our day together are now blocking the path since there are no other surfaces in my garden that don't already have pots from various plant adventures covering them. Fun. I've got this Saturday free to garden so we'll see if I can make a dent in the pile. Lilacs are so fragrant and beautiful when they're in bloom and so boring for the other 11 months of the year! It's sad to see them go but it has to happen.

      Delete
  9. Wow..!! Wonderful snaps these are. I really like them all.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.