-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Bloom Where You're Planted!

One fine day not so long ago, I took an alternate route home and this greenhouse caught my eye.  The sidewalk starts maybe a foot or two out from where this fence is so this is very close to the street.  On the other side of the greenhouse, is a concrete retaining wall that holds this little piece of land from falling 20 feet into the parking lot below. 

Look!  Real huge gorgeous looking tomatoes.  It's been a great year for them and they've done especially well in the added warmth and protection of this glass house.


The gardener of this small garden has used every space available.


There's even a compost bin.  I hadn't heard of composting kitties but I suppose it could be done.

Here we are looking the other way at the greenhouse and plantings. 

Cool fence posts made to resemble similar historic rock work in this neighborhood.


Here we're looking at the steep drop off to the lot below.  There is a slim path that runs the length of the sliver of land back there.

Making clever use of every bit of available space, the green net supports squash/gourd/pumpkin vines and hangs over the air space of the parking lot.  Pretty cool idea, right?  So how do you get the stuff off of the vines?


Looking from the greenhouse to the house.  There must have been a large building in the space between as the land  suddenly stops at the edge of the house.


It just goes to show that a gardener will make his idea of Eden wherever he finds himself. 

20 comments:

  1. I love seeing the tenacity of gardeners...where there's an inch of soil, there will be plants!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a pretty cool garden! Love the composting kitty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fun the way it sort of hangs on to the side of the road. Composting kitty was really sweet.

      Delete
  3. Also I would like to have a greenhouse :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A garden with a thrill! I'll get my rappelling gear out! I like the kitty in the compost too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this, and it's so true "a gardener will make his idea of Eden wherever he finds himself" (or herself).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup. I kept looking but there was no agave. Must be it was behind the gate. The agave within.

      Delete
  6. Is there a spot a cat doesn't like? Even the compost bin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. cats seem to be happy wherever they find themselves.

      Delete
  7. I bet the compost generates heat, so it's like sitting on the hood of the car after it's been out for a spin.
    The grand gardens are great, but this one touches my heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had much the same reaction. Those plant were all meticulously cared for as well.

      Delete
  8. Such a cute kitten! Well, quite an extraordinary garden. The space has been used very well... Happy working, Peter!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Do cats count as green or brown in the compost bin?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very acciduous use of the gardening space, and very healthy looking plants. I'm a little concerned about the sagging plastic in the roof of the greenhouse, it might be bad in a rainstorm, that is what has plagued my attempts at plastic/pvc pipe greenhouses, I solved it last time by putting wire fencing in the slanted roof.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, wire fencing sounds like a great solution! I think that this may be a seasonal greenhouse and that the plastic might be replaced if it blows away or breaks under the weight of rain. I'll have to go back there during the winter and see.

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.