-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Monday, February 25, 2013

What Bugged Me at the Seattle Flower and Garden Show.

 
One of my favorite things at the Seattle Flower and Garden Show for the last few years is the work of Sean Goddard whose giant insects are beautifully executed in metal and glass.
 
 
 
 Sean was quite gracious in allowing me to photograph his stunning creations! 
 
 

Each one is glorious.  The difficulty is in choosing just one as they look great in swarms.
 To see more images of Sean's beautiful bugs, visit him here.
In addition, you should make plans to attend the Seattle Flower and Garden Show next year.
 
Every night, Joe would go down to the liquor store, get a six pack,
bring it home, and drink it while he watched TV. One night, as he
finished his last beer, the doorbell rang. He stumbled to the door
and found a six-foot cockroach standing there. The bug grabbed him by
the collar and threw him across the room, then left.
The next night, after he finished his 4th beer, the doorbell rang. He
walked slowly to the door and found the same six-foot cockroach
standing there. The big bug punched him in the stomach, then left.
The next night, after he finished his 1st beer, the doorbell rang
again. The same six-foot cockroach was standing there. This time, he
was kneed in the groin and hit behind the ear as he doubled over in
pain. Then the big bug left. The fourth night Joe didn't drink at all. The
doorbell rang. The cockroach was standing there. The bug beat the snot out
of Joe and left him in a heap on the living room floor. The following day,
Joe went to see his doctor. He explained the events of the preceding four
nights. "What can I do?" he pleaded. "Not much" the doctor replied. "There's
just a nasty bug going around."
 While the Seattle Show is the second largest in the nation, it has more seminars than any other garden show in the world!

What do you get if you cross some ants with some tics?
All sorts of antics!
Why did the bees go on strike?
Because they wanted more honey and shorter working flowers!
 Beetles are one of Sean's favorite subjects and he does them very well.  I like the liberal use of dichroic glass in these.
Here's wishing you few flies in your ointment. 

28 comments:

  1. I wouldn't mind one of those bugs in our garden!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous creations!

    Good thing you ran out of photos before we found a fly doing the backstroke in our soup or bees brushing their hair with a honeycomb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are beautiful!

      We're very lucky about my running out of pictures as the jokes would have gotten much worse!

      Delete
  3. How did I miss those? Well, there was A LOT to see...and I tend to get a bit overwhelmed by so much stimulus. Still, they are quite beautiful, if only I had a bare surface to display one ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The show is overwhelming. This year, for the first time, I attended the event on two different days which allowed me to see things I had missed on the first visit. I also had the good fortune of meeting fellow bloggers Alison and Loree there who brought to my attention all sorts of things that I'd overlooked.

      Delete
  4. Yep like Scott I completely missed those. How big are they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The smallest ones were 3 - 4 inches long and the biggest one, the dragonfly, was about a foot and a half long.

      Delete
  5. I missed those too! I knew there would be something I didn't see, even after three days. What an artist! Love the silly riddles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I noticed them because I've seen them before & was looking for them this year. Glad you liked the corny jokes.

      Delete
  6. What a wonderfully creative display, thanks for showcasing this artist's work! I love it (and the jokes as well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked his work; I've always admired his skill and sense of fun! Glad you didn't decide to stop reading when you saw the bad humor:)

      Delete
  7. You made my day! How could people miss them? They were jumping on visitors!
    Love your sense of humor! P.S. I met only one lady/artist who didn't allow to take pictures of her artworks at the NWFGS. She missed an opportunity to get famous among garden bloggers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed the bugs! I was surprised at how much I missed the first time I went. Alison (Bonnie Lassie) pointed out a lot of cool things to me that I'd missed. There are always some people who would prefer that their art not be photographed and I respect that. Hope you had fun at the show!

      Delete
  8. OK, how's this:
    Last night, I killed 25 flies in my pyjamas. How they got into my pyjamas I'll never know!

    ReplyDelete
  9. One of these years I have to get to a real garden show. On the east coast the gold standard is Philadelphia and I'm ashamed to admit I've never been.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Philadelphia is the largest garden show in the country! I enjoyed your post about the Connecticut show as it's iteresting to see what shows look like in different parts of the country.

      Delete
  10. Yikes! The red scarab bit my in my most covetous parts.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, my! I'm not a huge fan of bugs but those are marvelous!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.