-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Friday, February 8, 2013

Greetings from the Evergreen State



Washington is called the Evergreen State for good reason if you live in the western part of the state.  Those in eastern Washington experience  an arid climate (Desert) with very hot summers and winters much colder than those in the west.  There's this big mountain that keeps all of the clouds on this side.  In the Western parts of Washington and Oregon, we have beautiful cedar, hemlock, and douglas fir forests and we are spoiled by nurseries that are open year round.  Many of you have expressed  good natured envy of the nurseries, teeming with plants, that I've shown.  To help you feel better, here are a few shots of a local nursery I visited recently.
 

I wonder if they store all of their stock off site or if they have some sort of a deal with some vendors that they'll take stock back at some point.  They may have cleared things out in January for inventory purposes.  Are you feeling a little better now?

Ian from the Desert Northwest would call this a plant store rather than a nursery because they produce any of their own stock.  That's o.k. with me because when all of this space is filled with plants, it's pretty fun to see what the growers have brought in.
Although this isn't the place to find a lot of perennials, grasses, etc. during the winter, it is the place to go to find a nice array of evergreens at this time of the year.  While I revel in trying to grow plants that are not at all suited to our climate, I'm also still amazed at the staggering number of plants that grow here with no coddling!  And I must admit that evergreens thrill me in their variety of color, shape, size, and habit!  Taking center stage is this lovely pair of Pinus contorta ‘Chief Joseph’ or Chief Joseph Lodgepole pines.

I've never met a Taxus I didn't like and the winter coloration on  this Taxus cuspidata 'Dwarf Bright Gold.' sure feels warm.
 Maybe tropical even. I may go back to get one of these.  What can I say, I'm weak and there's a gift certificate waiting for me here. 

Chamaecyparis thyoides 'red star' is no slouch in the color department, either!
 
 

Abies pinsapo glauca and Abies nordmanniana 'Golden Spreader' are working the blue and yellow combination 365 days of the year. 

 
 
Do you remember Butch Wax?
     
     
    

    photo
     
    Seems  it works pretty well on pine needles, too!

    Pinus longaeva (Great Basin Bristlecone Pine) "Sherwood Compact" 

    Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Nana' or True Dwarf Hinoki Cypress


    If  Chief changes from green to gold in the winter, is it still an evergreen?  Oh, who cares, look at that color.  Also notice the always sharp 15 foot hedge  behind.
     
    Dr. Seuss let loose with a spruce.  What the deuce?
     Silly Goose thinks he's Zeus.  Where's that noose?

    Have a splendid weekend everyone!

    24 comments:

    1. Nice conifers! I often regret that I don't have more room for them, especially when I see them in winter. So what nursery is this that is having such fun with the spruce?

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. It's Portland Avenue Nursery in Tacoma. They specialize in conifers and topiaries and always have lots of clipped spcimens in pots ready to plant in your garden. Also, I don't think that's a spruce but it's real name wouldn't rhyme with Seuss.

        Delete
    2. I'm rarely tempted by evergreens of any type...but Chief Joseph always catches my eye :-)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Joe is quite the looker! Broadleaf evergreens tempt me more for garden use but wandering beneath towering doug firs, hemlock,and cedars with the sword fern, salal, and the like still thrills me.

        Delete
    3. Evergreens save the garden when everything else goes dormant and you've posted quite a few that I would gladly look at all winter long! Those Chief Joseph pines are gorgeous as well as the Abies pinsapo glauca and Abies nordmanniana 'Golden Spreader' combination, wow!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. They're the work horses of our gardens that provide year round structure and beauty. Unless they're totally covered with snow. Hope the east coast blizzard doesn't reach you!

        Delete
    4. Peter, I feel a lot better now! Thanks! ;O) Unfortunately I can't have any conifers in the garden. They get yellow when my dog pees on... Happy weekend!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I'm glad that you feel better! Sorry about your dog pee problem. I'd choose dogs over conifers too.

        Delete
    5. Fun stuff! I love evergreens too, whether they're broadleaf or evergreen. You've got some amazing shots here. My mouth is watering over that Taxus 'Dwarf Bright Gold.'

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. The more I look at the pictures, the more I like that one. The trick to this great color with taxus is full sun which I have less and less of all the time. Climate change? Nope, someone keeps planting trees and big plants in my garden that reduce my full sun area. Hmmm.

        Delete
    6. Yes I feel much better. All my nurseries look like that now except they are closed :). The Taxus is stunning! Even without a gift certificate that would have been in my cart. One of my favorite conifers is Picea orientalis 'Skylands'. A few years ago I acquired one. Even though it will be a few years before it becomes I specimen, I smile every time I walk by it in the garden.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I'm glad that you don't feel so deprived now. That Picea is lovely and it's wonderful to have plants in our gardens that make us smile. Is the awful storm we've been hearing about leaving you alone?

        Delete
    7. I love conifers, and evergreen plants provide good bones for other smaller plants. It's funny to see nurseries and such, closed, where as ours are always open.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. In some northern areas, the nurseries are only open for three months of the year or so. Here nearly all of the nurseries are open year round but there is a lot less interest in gardening for a couple of months so many of them sell holiday stuff too.

        Delete
    8. Oh, i just love evergreens - but here, we seem to have a limited variety that will grow and survive our heat. :( I would love to have those golden evergreens - what a gorgeous focal point they would make in the winter! And that pic of the blue and gold together - fabulous! I could design an entire garden around those two!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. We don't have a great deal of heat during the summer here but Chief Joseph is from Eastern Oregon which is a very dry area and HOT in the summer so it might do well for you!

        Delete
    9. I'm actually really surprised they have so little to offer. Our winters are colder than yours and our local garden center is full of plants. Those tree sculptures are wild! It would be fun to meet the creative person who pruned those crazy shapes!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. We have many nurseries and garden centers which are extremely well stocked year round. I didn't show all of the roses, fruit trees, etc. at this place but they were there. You know the first sprig stuff. This place doesn't carry chotchkies or holiday stuff and perhaps they've found that their clientelle is more seasonal so they cater to them. They're open all year and have always been full to overflowing in the sprig, summer and fall. Different business model? Big clean out before inventory? Did they pack a lot of their inventory up for the Tacoma Home and Garden Show that was happening the weekend I visited? Dunno but now am eager to find out!
        They specialize in topiaries, especially huge specimens.

        Delete
    10. Thanks for the laugh! Also, the close-ups are great.

      ReplyDelete
    11. We don't call it weakness...more like an expansive and generous largesse.
      My favorite section of the Oregon Garden is the conifer garden. The diversity of form and color is as engaging as anything with flowers, and it looks spectacular any time of the year.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Perfect! LOVE it! An espansive ang generous largesse. We would be dangerous together at a nursery! The variety of conifers that we can grow here is amazing. I seem to discover new ones every time I hit a nursery. Maybe it's because they look different in different seasons or maybe it's just my ignorance.

        Delete
    12. That gold and blue together is truly eye candy !
      I want some too ! LOL
      They are all gorgeous ... BIG sigh !
      Joy : )

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I think that those spruces might be hardy for you.

        Delete

    Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.