-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

A Couple of Favorites from the Nortwest Flower and Garden Show

 
There were a lot of wonderful gardens at the show this year!  One of my favorites was The Lost Gardener - A Journey from the Wild to the Cultivated.  The use of several Schefflera macrophyllas alone made my heart palpitate.
 
 The Lost Gardener was designed by RHR Horticulture and Landwave designs aka Riz Reyes.  It is always amazing to me that in seventy two hours, the convention center is magically (Riz would probably say that three sleepless days of work is not really magic) transformed into a series of amazing gardens.  What is even more impressive is that this is Mr. Reyes first garden entry in the show. 
The Lost Gardener was a plant nerd paradise which included many unusual favorites.  Note the Schefflera taiwaniana to the lower left of it's larger cousin.  The garden could not simply be taken in in a cursory walk by as it was so packed with great green treasures that more and more became apparent as one lingered.  Although the stars of the garden (for me) were the less common plants, there were also some great common workhorses like Viburnum davidii playing an important role.




Is that a nolina?  In looking at Riz's plant list I noticed that I missed spotting a few plants. 
 So much green goodness and the use of Cardiocrinum giganteum  seed pods is way cool!  This is a garden at which I wouldn't mind staring for quite a while!
 Another favorite was A Hobbit's New Zeland Garden created by the Arboretum Foundation.   Of course, I loved the phormiums and cordylines.  Are those tree ferns adorable or what?
 It's difficult to see but in the middle of the picture there is a little stream with a fogger that added more mystery and magic to the scene.
 The slope that you saw in the first picture is the roof of this hobbit home.  If this whole thing could be transported to my back yard I'd be a happy man.
 Wouldn't this be a great tool shed/ space to store the lawn mower.  Now let's see, if our garage mysteriously burned to the ground, do you suppose the insurance company would allow us to replace it with this?
There are many more wonderful gardens and ideas to share from the NWFGS. 
 
I'll leave you with this shot taken in the "Vintage Marketplace"  which represents what I heard a lot of over the last few days. No, not a whole lot of nothing but rather ooo's (and aah's too.)

19 comments:

  1. Last night I went through my photos of Riz's garden and instead of editing I found myself just enjoying all over again. Oh to be able to take those Schefflera home with me...

    (btw your photos are fabulous...there was so much going on there it was hard to know where to point the camera)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were so many wonderful plants that it was hard to see them all.

      Thanks for the complement but with all the new technology, I can't really take too much credit.

      Delete
  2. You got some really wonderful photos of both gardens! I'm pretty sure I remember seeing a sign on the Nolina, but of course I neglected to take a picture of the sign.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was difficult to choose a favorite angle for both of these gardens or to get the whole garden in one shot. What a fun show!

      Delete
  3. They're both fantastic looking gardens! I was especially looking forward to seeing photos of Riz's garden after having heard so much about it. So many plant treasures there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These two gardens are so fun and good design at the same time. I'd love to have seen them. Your photos are great, I saw a few phone photos posted last week and wondered what the fuss was about. Now I know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic photo's of these gardens. Oh, the Hobbit's Garden is so charming. I could rest easy there and forget the worries of the world! Cheers, Jenni

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is amazing! I'm blown away! Makes me want to move to a hobbit hole. And the Schefflera macrophyllas is epic! I want them all!! Heck throw the tree ferns into the list of epicness too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't it be cool to move these into our own gardens? The Hobbit garden (the plants at least) will be moved to the Washington park arboretum.

      Delete
  7. I just found your blog and love it!Beautiful coverage of the NWF&G show:) Becky

    ReplyDelete
  8. Peter, you're a happy man to visit and see this wonderful exhibition! I love the tree ferns, look like small palms. And the stream is awesome.
    I liked your new header!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am happy and lucky to live so close to this wonderful show that happens every year! Thank you Nadezda!

      Delete
  9. Great pictures, Peter. Those shots show us more masculine gardens. I prefer more romantic style in the garden...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Satu! There were a few romantic gardens to be seen at the show as well but I loved the plants in these two gardens.

      Delete
  10. The hobbit's garden was so well executed! Their design team is amazing and their volunteers, superb! I couldn't believe I was next to them! =P

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.