-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Let's All Go to the Lobby!

You may have read my tale of woe about parking in Seattle a few posts ago.  I must say that on my second visit, I was lucky enough to park in the actual convention center parking structure which was extremely simple to navigate, had numbered parking spaces, level letters and colors.  All I had to do was follow the orange concrete path and it led me directly to the lobby of the convention center. 
If you're not familliar with the little jingle, Let's All Go to the Lobby, here's a video of it for you.
 
 
The title of this year's show was "There's a Little Garden in All of Us."  However, the theme was Hollywood Movies.  I don't understand why the title didn't also state the theme but I probably missed out on some important facts because I didn't read the newsprint  program prior to entering.  Anyway, the lobby which eluded me on my first visit (I knew it existed as I've attended many events at this venue) contained lots of fun stuff.  First to greet the visitor was the Washington Flower Growers Association's Wizzard of Oz themed garden complete with a yellow flower road to the Emerald City. The Emerald City is one of Seattle's monikers.

Funny how dorothy looks so glamorous after traveling via spinning house all the way from Kansas.  Maybe she's miffed because there are no poppies to be found.
Can you see Toto in the basket of the bicycle?
Our old pal Scarecrow hanging out on a rustic twig bench.

The Cowardly Lion seems to be the first one to get close to the Space Needle which, although not mentioned in the book, is probably where the Wizzard hung out.  For a nice wide view of this whole Oz garden look here
 
This awesome table was made by Live Edge Woodworks

Near the table was a sign with the following words written by Kim Hoelting, the founder of Live Edge:
Imagine being alive for a thousand years.  Think of the storms, droughts, and brilliant sunny days.  Now imagine dying but remaining vertical for another two centuries, with life swirling around you.  Then one day you topple over but your body remains visible on the forest floor for many more centuries nourishing your offspring.  This is the story of cedar, our totem species.
Study these amazing specimens.  Where is the line between life and death?
Truly beautiful!

On the opposite side of the lobby were the floral arrangements.  Here is a small sampling of the many delightful offerings.   This one was a crowd pleaser! Unfortunately, I've forgotten it's name and creator.
"Red Carpet Ready" by Holly's Fine Flowers was interesting.
"Much Ado About Nothing"  by Pipper's Flowers

"Fontaine de Fleur" by La Vassar Florists

 
"Mae" by Capitol Florist

"My Fair Lady" by Christopher Flowers

"Star Struck!" by An Occasion Flowers made me think of all y'all from the Lone Star State.
 
For me, the flower arrangements aren't the main attraction of the show but It's always fun to see what these creative folks will think of next.
 
 
"Sunset: Strip" by Flora Laura was a tower of flower power!
 
 
 

17 comments:

  1. The show looks so fun Peter, and some very nice planting (and arrangements) too! Did Dorothy forgot to wear his ruby shoes btw?

    Love that table, and how sculptural the other pieces are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should come to the show some year and join in the fun. All of your adoring readers from this area could meet you there. I don't remember seein Dorothy's footwear. Good for you for noticing.

      The table was grand in scale and in history.

      Delete
  2. Love those thoughts on the Cedar trees...so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunning flower arrengements! Quite a show!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a lot of fun to have such a big show within a short drive from home.

      Delete
  4. Wow, I love the first table you show by Live Edge Woodworks!! That is one fantastic piece. The "lets all go to the lobby" song made my morning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That table was gorgeous! Glad you liked "let's all go to the lobby!" Maybe next year you'll be able to come to the show!

      Delete
  5. I definitely saw the beautiful table with the moss and ferns planted in it, but I didn't notice all the lovely slabs next to it. Thanks for posting your pics of them, and the quote.

    I tried saying hello to Dorothy. You'd think after all those hours spent together when I was a kid that she would remember me, but she just stood there, aloof and sullen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny thing is that I didn't even read the quote untl I was sorting trhough my pictures. Loved the table and snapped a picture of the sign with the quote on it because it had vendor information. There are often fun surprises to be found when looking at pictures.

      Dorothy ignored just about everyone at the show. Aunite Em would not be at all amused by her behavior! Maybe she was overwhelmed by Technicolor.

      Delete
  6. What a wonderful idea to use a movie theme for the display! I love the live table and am wondering how I can copy something like this for my backyard garden...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet you could come up with something really beautiful for your garden. You have such a wonderful eye.

      Delete
  7. Gorgeous table, yes! Love that beautiful cedar.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your parking experience in Seattle reminds me of Calvin Trillin's proposal for a new magazine: "Beautiful Spot: A Journal of Urban Parking."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Usually parking is not as difficult in Seattle, I just got lucky.

      Delete
  9. Dorothy must have watched the Oscars and mistaken the yellow brick road for a red carpet. That is the "red carpet pose" she is striking.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This table is a piece of living art. A masterpiece for many to enjoy for many, many years and generations to come. Truly love this piece.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.