-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

And Now for Someting Completely Different; The Hughi-Lewis Studio


On a recent trip to Anchorage, AK, my niece and I stopped by the gallery of Margaret Hugi-Lewis.  We were warmly welcomed by Margaret herself who was working on fun paper hangings for her upcoming opening.  Ms. Hugi-Lewis's work is as delightful and full of joy as the woman herself.  (I dare you to look at her work and not smile.)  Without an ounce of pretense and with her delightful swiss accent,  Margaret talked about how much fun she had creating various works  as she guided us through her space.   She seemed to revel in explaining her techniques, materials, etc, with  an everyone can make art attitude which I find refreshing.     
 
Margaret encouraged me to record and post images of her work. 



Margaret, a mixed media artist, creates some wearable art.
It's sad that Margaret is so afraid of color:)


Created from a tarp and hundreds of grommets, I doubt it would be a comfortable outfit to sit around the house wearing but it is delightful on the runway!
 
Love this one but it's not recommended snowshoeing attire.
 
 
Accessories make any outfit!
 
This handbag would match just about ANY shoes!
 
The diminutive creative powerhouse  posing with her work.  Margaret's the one in the yellow sweater; the furry one is a friend of hers whose name escapes me.
Read more about Margaret here
 
Fun bookends, "The more you read, the longer the fish gets."  One could call it fish tales.
 
 
Have a seat. Well, maybe not in your grommet dress.
 
So cool I can barely stand it!









 Of course, you can also hang art on the wall if you're a traditionalist.




The following five pieces were created to adorn the walls of her son's new restaurant.
 Sorry about the glare!



 
All too soon, it was time to leave.  Rats!
 
If you're ever in Anchorage, do stop by 1008 Northern Lights Blvd. and have fun in this wonderland.  You may wish to inquire about special events, jazz performances, and openings by calling
(907) 561-1614
 

20 comments:

  1. I only smiled once because I smiled the whole way through this post. Delightful, colorful and fun. I can imagine the works warming up the coldest places.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you smiled! The vibrant colors were a very nice contrast to the white, blue, brown, and black combinations all around. Alaska in the winter is beautiful but not so full of warm colors.

      Delete
  2. Wow, she is such a talented artists in so many mediums! Thanks for sharing, I really enjoyed your post. Cheer, Jenni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed the post Jenni! It's always a pleasure to have you along on these field trips!

      Delete
  3. Lovely, exciting and colorful. This artist has a lot of imagination!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She does indeed. There are lots of ideas to borrow for our own adventures in making yard art!

      Delete
  4. What fantastic art, so colorful. I love that rocking horse!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It could be yours! I'm glad that someone (a worker at a store where we were shopping who turned out to be the artist's daughter in law) told us to visit the gallery.

      Delete
  5. What fun--I hope you brought home some garden art! And I loved the Monty Python post title...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was all interior stuff but it would be fun outside if it were impervious to water. I do love Monty Python.

      Delete
  6. It must have been fun seeing all of this, the wall art is great I can just see it in her sons restaurant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was great and very special to be given a tour by the artist herself!

      Delete
  7. wow !! ... this is all quite amazing and so wonderfully colourful!
    My favorite is the fish bookends .. can't help it ! LOL
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun, vibrant, and warm. The perfect combination for a cold Alaskan day!

      Delete
  8. Im in love with the fish book ends! thats amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are fun! A little bird told me that we may see you in Seattle soon. That would be exciting!

      Delete
  9. Her exuberance is so contagious it makes me want to go out and throw some paint around. Maybe I should stick to seeds. Thanks for this exceptional studio tour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go for it! I bet you could fnd a big tree branch to decorate and it could be really bright and flashy unlike the blue (and cool) one at the Portland Y&G show!

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.