-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Sunday, December 30, 2012

On the sixth day of Christmas, a holiday trip to Seymour

You may remember my post about the Seymour Conservatory at Wright Park in Tacoma here.   It's a great place to visit when it's cold and gray outside.  Recently Alison from Bonnie Lassie and I visited the conservatory.  Because I totally messed up the time, we didn't see it together (yes, I'm that stupid) but, being the gracious person she is, Alison has agreed to give me a second chance to meet her.  Anyway,  here are some pictures.   Much of the inside space was taken up by Santa, a photographer and folks dressed in Victorian costumes as there was a special Dickens event going on.

Careful where you step!  This guy is waiting to eat, I mean great you.   





The Musa are nestled all snug in their bed,


While visions of springtime dance in their pseudostems.  Can you believe how green they still are?

Every year when I see these blooming in November/December, I swear to get some  for my own garden but somehow never do.  Pretty cool aren't they. Is that Bishop's weed around them?
 
The conservatory is popular with tourists from a variety of locations.

As one steps inside, the first thing (s)he notices is the mingled fragrance of the lemon tree in bloom and the paperwhites peppered through the red, white, and green display.  Notice the lacy leaves of the amorphophallus; when it blooms the fragrance will be somewhat less pleasant unless you're a carrion fly.





 There is a plant sale area in the conservatory and Poinsettia 'Winter Rose' seemed to be quite a hit.  I saw quite a few of them walking out during my visit. (No silly, not on their own; people were carrying them.)

In the tropical section, there were  a few orchids in bloom.  While orchids in pots are lovely, I find them much more interesting when they are cascading from palms and other tropical plants much like they would in nature.


Are we in paradise?  These birds seem to think so.

Nothing screams tropical like Birds of Paradise and Anthurium.
 Bright tropical rhodendron.  We'll have similar ones blooming outside in a few weeks!

An interestingly toothed monster reminds us to stay on the paths!
If you're ever in the area, do check out the conservatory at Wright Park and give a holler, I could probably hear you from my house!
 
Walking back to the car, this gorgeous grass, growing between the sidewalk and a chain link fence caught my eye.  Such Weber-worthy beauty!
 

Someday I hope to be able to capture the beauty of grasses as well as Scott but for now, this will have to do.



 

17 comments:

  1. Pretty place for a holiday visit with the gorgeous tropical colors mixed in.

    The grasses are pretty even without the sunlight needed to make them really pop and that's quite a wait where you are. We've only seen a hint of sun for a week and I'm getting tired of cloudy, gray, cold weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today has been dry so far but cloudy and gray. A better gardener would get out there and chop down a few trees, do some clean up, etc. I'll be lazy and hope for good weather on MLK weekend.

      Delete
  2. Such awesome pictures of the great place to visit! I wish we had places like that here in the cold North...well, maybe I could visit some snow castle...

    Happy New Year 2013, Peter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be very expensive to heat something like that during your winter but it's possible. Snow castles sound gorgeous!

      Hyvää uutta vuotta sinulle Satu!

      Delete
  3. Yep, we need to get together for real this time! I got some of the same shots, I don't suppose they changed much in an hour, LOL! I didn't see the mossy alligator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mossy alligator lurks on the left side of the main entrance. He's pretty good at not being noticed until it's too late!

      Delete
  4. A pretty place, and I wouldn't mind that crocodile statue on our garden!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Bishops Weed let loose near the conservatory...scary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't be frightened D.G. this isn't able to cross the river between our states so it won't take over your garden. At least not for a while. Bwahaha.

      Delete
  6. Nice place... "Visions of springtime dance in their pseudostems" made me giggle... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great to have it within walking distance of my house! Glad you giggled, there's far to little of that going on these days!

      Delete
  7. Thanks for sharing. Bird of Paradise always gives me a thrill.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah, I wish we had a nice indoor arboretum nearby! I'm ready to get out of the snow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tropical clorful warmth and fragrance of the conservatory are a tonic for a weather weary soul!

      Delete
  9. This place looks good, one need to give it a visit more often as it is food for soul. Thank you for sharing your experience with us and keep posting more such posts

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.