On the second day of Christmas (Boxing Day) my fiend Satu from Finland who writes the blog My Life gave to me a Beautiful Blog Award. (O.K. she nominated me earlier but I had to think for a while and that's not my strong suit!)
Thank you, Satu, for thinking of me in this special way!
To claim this award one must tell some things about himself that others may not already know and nominate some other bloggers for the award. These awards can be fun but I can't think of anything you all don't know about me from previous posts that is appropriate to share in mixed company but I'll try.
1. I live in a large 120 year old house that had been neglected for years and still needs lots of work.
2. Although I love the old house in town, I sometimes dream of a nice ranch house with a metal roof, vinyl siding and windows that don't rattle in the wind, ideally located on acreage in zone 9 which would accommodate a large vegetable and cutting garden, small orchard, bamboo groves, a forest of my favorite trees and various ornamental planting areas. (Don't all gardeners dream of more space?) And, of course, the means to make that all happen.
3. Although I am a singer and have a degree in voice, opera isn't my favorite kind of music; I much prefer choral music and art song, lied, chanson. Schubert, Schuman, Wolf, and Faure are favorite composers in the song genre. I love just about everything written for the choral instrument and have a soft spot for the folk choral music of the Balkan Peninsula.
4. I love organ music, especially that of the French Romantic composers.
5. Perhaps because I'm a singer and love the way composers paint words in a vocal/choral context, I'm also a huge fan of poetry.
That couldn't be any more boring if I tried so here are some pictures of a goofy squirrel I saw at the park recently. Perhaps they'll wake you up.
As always, I can't pick from my blog roll any favorites as I love them all! I know that some of the folks on my roll love this sort of award and others aren't so fond of them so I'm nominating every one of you; your blogs are all as beautiful as you are so if you'd like to claim this award, feel free to do exactly that, tell some things about yourself, and pass it on.
Christmas is a twelve day celebration starting on the twenty fifth of December and lasting unitl Epiphany or Twelvth Night (January 6) which concludes the holidays. It's unfortunate that all too often we want to be done with Christmas on December twenty-sixth. I love leaving the decorations up until at least January sixth. According to tradition, the final day to take down Christmas decorations is Candlemas AKA Groundhog Day so feel free to be stay festive as long as you wish! (This is my excuse for being lazy & I'm happy to share.) Anyway, I'm going to post something on each of the twelve days just for fun.