-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Friday, December 14, 2012

Meanwhile, Back in the Frozen North

After hearing about the holiday gathering of one of my friends, I described my Thanksgiving as something like driving through Currier and Ives to arrive at Norman Rockwell.  It was a special treat to cook a small part of the meal with my eldest sister, Dirce, who did most of the work and to be with part of my family that I don't get to see often enough.

 My family gets along so well that the only fowl language was in Alison's chicken coop.

Notice the ice crystals on the door to the outside.  Brrr.
Chickens are such silly and fun birds.

What the heck are these things doing in a chicken coop?  You may remember my post about little Ollie here. Ollie and her pal Igor are all grown up now.
Ducks like water, right?
So what do ducks do when their pond looks like this and they can't fly south?
 
The answer is that Alison and Peter take Ollie and Igor inside for their first swim in the bathtub.    This was a first for me but it was a great deal of fun watching this particular bird bath.  The bathroom floor had towels spread over it which were quite moist by the time the ducks were finished splashing around.  We then took the ducks upstairs to allow them to preen themselves on our toweled  laps.  Much more fun than watching football, don't you think?
 
Late breaking news - Alison is thinking of getting goats.  I love goats and think she should add a barn and get several.  What do you think?

14 comments:

  1. They look cozy in the coop and everyone seems to be getting along well. Cute, but very challenging in the cold, cold north. There's a hotel in Orlando with ducks in the lobby fountain and they have a great time too.

    Maybe if you promise to visit more they will get several goats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ducks in the fountain would be lots of fun!

      Great minds think alike! I had so much fun on this trip that I was thinking of telling the niece that if she got goats, I'd visit again just to see them.

      Delete
  2. Oh, I definitely think she should get goats, if she has the room and a good shelter (or can build one). I love the pictures of the chickens. They are silly and fun! I think I would much rather have a duck preening on my lap than watch football.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The duck adventure was lots of fun, besides I never watch sports. You need some chickens Alison!

      Delete
  3. Wow!!! This sounds like so much fun! I don't have any pets but dream of having spoiled rotten chickens... Never for food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They don't so much mind if you take their eggs when they're not sitting on them. Chickens seem like lots of fun. If I had the space, I'd have them and some cute little bunnies, and maybe a few pea fowl, some ducks, pigmy goats, and a larger pack of dogs, a few cats...

      Delete
  4. I can imagine the sounds the ducks must make swimming around the bath tub. What fun! Thanks for your wonderful post about the scents of Christmas and for accepting the Liebster award, you're a good sport and now we know a little more about you:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ducks were very entertaining! Those answer some questions and nominate others awards are fun but I always have trouble picking just a few blogs to nominate as I love so many.

      Delete
  5. It's so lovely to have lots of different animals. I love dogs, cats, ducks, goats, chickens..they all are awesome! We'll go to see a Golden Retriever's puppy on Sunday. We'll see what happens..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so excited for you! A puppy is so much fun and it's perfect as you'll have some time to stay home and play with him/her before you have to go back to work.

      Delete
  6. Bathing ducks sounds much safer and more entertaining than bathing cats (yes, I have...fool that I am).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember bathing cats myself. What were we thinking? Anyway, I can assure you that bathing water loving creatures is a whole different ballgame. They did all the work themselves.

      Delete
  7. That's hilarious about the ducks, and sounds like a lot of fun. I'm all in favor of goats, though my personal experience is they are not necessarily friendly animals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, those three billy goats were gruff! However, I've met some cute little goats that were just kept and played with as pets and they were adorable.

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.