-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Thursday, May 26, 2016

When What to My Wondering Eyes Should Appear...

The other day, I was driving on South Tacoma Way (part of historic  federal highway 99 that stretched from one end of the pacific coast to the other)  in an area between  Asian markets and a large collection of car dealerships.  It's sort of a light industrial mixed use part of town, not particularly pretty.   You can imagine my surprise at seeing this:


Even more surprising was this!  Not the chain link fence with the precious barbed wire ruffle, that's a common sight in this area, it's the sign and the plants.  The plant mobile was equally excited and found the parking lot quickly!

They had some of my faves like this Abutilon 'Red Tiger' trained as a standard.


Cannas, brugmansia, tetrapanax, musa basjoo, the whole gang's here!

Looks like plans for raised beds!  




Turns out, the fenced lot goes with Green Thumb Garden Supply which recently moved here from a different part of town.  I'd shopped at the former location, an indoor gardening/hydroponics supply place (no plants) because they were the only place I could find Pro Mix potting soil and was disappointed when they left their location right between Home Depot and Lowe's. (handy, right?)

The good thing about this new location is that there is a great deal more space inside and a huge outdoor plant sales area.  Hooray!  It'll be interesting to watch the plant sales area of this place evolve.
The nice gentleman who asked if I needed help told me a bit about the shop.  It's owned by an avid gardener with a beautiful garden and the business has another location which is much more elaborate with water features and more plant retail space.  It's not all that far from where I work so be watching for a post about it one of these days.  How delightful to see a small business willing to have a go at plant retail.   May they have great success!  What crazed gardener wouldn't want another plant place nearby?

20 comments:

  1. Is there another one of these somewhere on Meridien in Puyallup? Or am I thinking of something else? Looks like a great place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fellow with whom I talked said that the South Hill, Puyallup (128th and Meridian) location is even more extensive! Haven't visited that one yet.

      Delete
  2. So many of these independent garden shops are closing it's great to see one relocating and growing their business. They did a nice job with the new space and I like they kept their signage old school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the previous location, they carried mostly indoor/hydroponic growing supplies, grow lights, etc. catering to folks who grew a certain crop. It seems like now they're branching out into plants. It is heartening to see a new independent garden shop!

      Delete
    2. Yes, when I briefly poked my head into the one in Puyallup, it struck me that they definitely catered to "that certain crop."

      Delete
  3. It's a SUPER STORE! (making a little fun of their sign). A new nursery/plant biz is always a good thing. I'm sure you'll do your part and help support them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy to see them carrying plants now. For the last couple of years, they've been my source for Pro Mix potting soil. It's light, has a lot of perlite which prevents soil compaction (nice in larger pots) drains well, and contains mycorrhizae.

      Delete
  4. I can just imagine your excitement upon spotting it's an exotic plant nursery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure! I'm looking forward to watching them grow and perhaps carry some more unusual plants as well (fingers crossed.)

      Delete
  5. It's good to see a plant start up. Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tetrapanax? That sounds like it would be fun to grow! ;)

    As others have said, it's nice to see a new plant seller.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It grows well in pots as proven by the specimen I have for you!

      Yes. I hope they do extremely well!

      Delete
  7. I always get excited to see a new garden store too. Unfortunately, that doesn't happen all to often in the land of ridiculously over-priced real estate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a rarity here these days when so many of our specialty growers and small, specialty nurseries are closing.

      Delete
  8. Your plant mobile just found this place on its own? That's my kind of auto-pilot. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That vehicle constantly surprises me by stopping at nurseries when it knows I don't have space for the plants I already have.

      Delete
  9. Around here, heavy industry is slowly but surely being nudged out by retail (think Pomarious). Nice to see purveyors of plants getting in on the act.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a lovely transition but where is all the heavy industrial work being done now?

      Delete
  10. Oh, I hope they can make a go of it. Independent plant nurseries are special places.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.