-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Wednesday Vignette: How is a Colorful Fish Like a Gardener?

Wednesday Vignette is hosted each week by Anna at Flutter and Hum.  Make sure to flutter on over there to see what all the hum is about!


On Sunday afternoon, while photographing my in a vase on Monday arrangement,  I was distracted by the sun shining through this little glass fish.  It had a nice little sparkle that would have been even better if the poor thing (anything in my house really) ever got dusted.


Anyway, it reminded me of the cute children's book The Rainbow Fish by Marcus Pfister.  The rainbow fish is fond of his shiny, multi-colored scales but refuses to share them in a rather rude way. The other fish don't want to play with him or be his friend, not only because he doesn't share but because he's so rude so he finds himself quite lonely.   The wise octopus advises R.F. to share the beauty of his scales with the other fish.  Begrudgingly at first, R.F. shares a scale with another fish. Filled with the joy of giving, he soon shares his scales with all of his friends and finds that he still is not only physically beautiful (he was quite vain) but that his friends, with which he is now surrounded,  appreciate his inner beauty.



This weekend, I'll be attending a plant swap with garden blogging friends.  You know, those imaginary people who live in the computer. The generosity of gardeners never ceases to amaze me and there are many plants in my garden that came from those of others. While I don't want or need another plant, it will be nice to see the folks at the swap, always hosted at someone's garden, an added bonus!  Something fishy is definitely going on here!


9 comments:

  1. Haha - the Rainbow fish story is a great analogy. I have lots of wonderful gifts in my garden too - most of them from fellow bloggers. So glad to hear you are coming - I'm so looking forward to Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, I remember reading this story. Great tie-in with the plant swap and the vignette. It seems most gardeners I've known are very generous with their bounty, their "gifts," and their knowledge. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "those imaginary people who live in the computer"....ha! Love it, and so true. We are lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You must be running low on scales by now. Saturdya is shaping up to be a very fun day...glad you're coming.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have fun at the swap, and give everyone a second hug from me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dusting is overrated ;) Oh, my little girl loved the Rainbow Fish book! I think your vignette is perfect rainbow fish. Looking forward to seeing you this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know "Rainbow Fish" well.
    Have fun at the bloggers swap. Like you, I don't need any more plants either, and we haven't even been very excited about going to plant sales. I'm not sure if that's OK.

    ReplyDelete
  8. When you remove some of that bamboo, you'll have planty of room for more plants. Enjoy your swap meet up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dusting? isn't that what we have to do when it's raining and we can't garden?!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.