-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Monday, May 23, 2016

In A Vase On Monday: Roses, Roses

In A Vase On Monday is hosted each week by Cathy at Rambling in the Garden.  Click here to see her arrangement this week and links to those of others.

The climbing rose on the right, brought as a cutting from my former garden, (it was inherited there) covers a large space to on the back fence, further right of this shot, that separates our back garden from the alley.  The rose is a once-a-year bloomer but for the month it blooms, it's so very prolific and extraordinarily fragrant that it gets to stay.  It's also fond of black spot but that doesn't seem to bother it much and I don't spray because I'm too lazy environmentally aware.   The fragrance reminds me of my mom's favorite perfume, "Roses, Roses"  from Avon.
It seems that some people don't like thorny branches smacking them in the face when they walk through the alley so a bit of pruning must be done every year.  Some branches are tied to the fence but some must be cut.  This chore is always left for bloom time so that some of the flowers can come inside and perfume the house.  The scent is that strong!  This year, I decided to pair them with the foliage of Physocarpus (Ninebark) 'Coppertina' and use a few of the rose-themed pieces I've collected over the years, usually at thrift or second-hand stores.









My mom loved roses and enjoyed tea so we'll just throw these together as a late Mother's Day offering.  Interestingly, although afternoon tea is experiencing a bit of a renaissance, many of these objects are seen as passe and can be easily found at garage sales.  Funny, with the exception of the teapot, I've never actually used any of these vessels for tea.  

There were more roses yet so they got floated in bowls on the dining room table.  That entire space now smells divine.


Floating works well for these as they like to hang down from the branches which is charming in a climber under which one walks but not so much of a treat to arrange in a vase.  Confession: chopsticks were used in the first arrangement to keep the roses facing upward.


People don't seem to want to bother with crystal these days.  I'm basing that on the glut of it observed at extremely low prices on the secondary market.    

What are your thoughts about afternoon tea?  I'm usually still at work around tea time so,  for me it usually consists of a teabag in a travel mug that held my morning coffee and a piece of fresh fruit. Are you a tea person and if so, have you favorites?  (Mine - cucumber sandwiches, scones with lemon curd and clotted cream although I can't eat most of that anymore.)  




13 comments:

  1. Much to my husband's dismay I've never enjoyed tea. I wish I did as I love the ceremony of it. The combination of that ninebark foliage with the roses is simply lovely. Chopsticks huh? How creative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't grow roses, (as the home owner isn't a fan), but love it when I can smell them in other people's garden when I go on a walk. Your arrangement has a victorian touch with those beautiful tea sets. I usually stick to green tee at work, but not before I hit my daily coffee allowance (3 cups). Scones on the other hand I LOVE and treat myself occasionally to a currant scone, which isn't too sugary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely Peter! I'm not a tea fan, but I do like a good cup of mint tea in winter! I wish I had a cutting from the long-gone climbing rose that grew at my childhood home. I've seen glimpses of them in a few old photos, but that's it. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. It must be wonderful to have such a massive number of roses to bring inside - mine are usually nothing more than a feature in a vase containing other plants. A scented rose is also a treasure, black spot or not. As to afternoon tea, I love the idea - it's the very symbol of a civilized setting in my eyes - but I don't think I've ever been able to carve out time for the ceremony of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It must be wonderful to have such a massive number of roses to bring inside - mine are usually nothing more than a feature in a vase containing other plants. A scented rose is also a treasure, black spot or not. As to afternoon tea, I love the idea - it's the very symbol of a civilized setting in my eyes - but I don't think I've ever been able to carve out time for the ceremony of it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a perfectly elegant and stunning display with the china....I love that deep pink rose with the 'Coppertina' foliage....I have 'Coppertina' in my garden and adore it. Another fabulous arrangement!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like herbal tea, Peter. And I can feel scent of your roses watching the last photo :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a beautiful rose Peter, and I do take time out for a cup of tea in the afternoon. Nothing fancy just a coffee mug and a biscuit, that's enough for me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is a heartbreakingly beautiful rose and perfect with the Ninebark. I would make excuses to walk through your alley if I lived in your neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm also not a tea person, but the roses look fantastic and I can imagine that strong roses roses scent!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So beautiful. I love all of the old china and crystal pieces.
    I have experienced high tea in several elegant places, and it is a glorious experience. But day to day, I don't do tea.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your Mum would have loved all this I guess, not just the fragrance. You have done this beautiful rose justice with your great selection of props Peter. Thanks for sharing, as always ps I prefer tea made in a pot, and will invariably have it with a piece of home made cake around 4 o'clock but wouldn't want more than one bit of cake!

    ReplyDelete
  13. High Tea has become a tradition for my SIL and me around the holidays. It's a bit of old fashioned, girly fun. Tea ceremony at the Lan Su Chinese Garden is another indulgence. Because these are things we do rarely, they retain that "special occasion" aura. You have created a setting for the best of the best. For me, it's the visuals (and a pot of very strong Earl Grey) that make a tea memorable.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.