-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Grateful

The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence they say.  Like most gardeners, I often dream about having more space to plant things, and occasionally wish to garden in a warmer climate. Kind of greedy for a zone 8 gardener, right.  Recently, with the onslaught of spring chores,  I've been feeling grateful that my space isn't larger.  There are still some major projects to do out there but they're achievable without heavy equipment and a staff. As the Agave ovatifolia put in the ground three years ago continues to grow larger in the front garden and the first blue poppy of the season opens out back, I'm grateful to be exactly where I am. 

2013
2015

Where else, besides the magical British Isles, could one grow both of these in the ground? 

While I'm about two months behind in my garden tasks, the plants just keep going. 
The frosting on the cake for me was the return (actually, because of our mild winter, they never died back and are growing in several areas) of Tropaeolum speciosum.  I've had this plant before, it seems to come and go where and when it wants.  Every time I see it for sale, I get some to try in different areas hoping that one will prove just right for it's desires.  Last summer, it grew through the fence behind the house and bloomed beautifully in the alley.  At least we got to see it on the way to and from the garbage and recycling bins back there. 

This year, one grown in a huge pot is growing up the porch where I see it every day!  Hooray!



While it's sweet now, it's even better when it has those cute little buds, open blooms and metallic blue seeds all on the plant at the same time.

So I'm months behind, the garden has pots and tools strewn everywhere, nothing has been moved out of the greenhouse yet, the truck is once again full of organic fertilizer needing to be spread (Thanks to the Tom, no matter how many times I empty it, somehow it gets filled up again.) and I'd be embarrassed should a guest walk through the garden while it's looking this awkward, I'm happy to be in the midst of the visual cacophony, content with the space I have, and elated that, totally by chance, I ended up living in this climate.
For what about your garden are you most grateful today? 

25 comments:

  1. I'm grateful that it's raining again so I can't mow the lawn -- which I have not yet done this year in the back. It's knee-tickling tall right now back there! I'm just as behind as you are I think, but I've got 2 zones less time behind me... if that makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hooray for rain getting you of having to mow the lawn!

      Delete
  2. I would need to give the grateful thing some more thought. But I loved reading this and seeing the things you're grateful for in your garden this morning. I'm at least 2 months behind as well (maybe more like 4 or 5 -- don't argue, you didn't see the back recently when you visited). I haven't found the right spot for Himalayan poppies yet, I need some place where they like the conditions but also won't be trampled by raccoons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those pesky raccoons! I'm looking forward to having extra time to get things done in the garden during summer break!

      Delete
  3. Your Agave is beautiful. Such great color, as is the blue of the poppy. I'm grateful for just having a garden to begin with. Since I usually avoid nurseries (no room for new plants), I am totally keeping up with the garden. In fact, there is time to just lay down in the grass, look up at the tree canopy and blue sky, and think about my good fortune!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right you are, it's a treat that we have the opportunity to garden! Avoiding nurseries is a good idea but my car has a mind of its own and tends to take me to those places automatically.

      Delete
  4. I've been feeling thankful a lot lately too. Remembering back when I so desperately wanted a house and land...back in my apartment renting days. I feel lucky that I am so plant rich. I have so many treasures to keep my eyes and imagination occupied. I am also lucky to be part of such an amazing community. I looked around at everyone last Saturday and felt such joy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nicely said, Loree. We're very lucky to be part of this awesome community of gardeners. (Imaginary friends who live in the computer.)

      Delete
  5. Same sentiments as Loree here Peter. And never mind all the work that still needs to be done, when you're already surrounded with so much beauty :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right you are, appreciating the journey is as important as reaching the destination!

      Delete
  6. exactly, Peter. I'm so grateful for a house and garden. The homeless population in LA has really climbed recently, and I think of this a lot. A garden's climate always strikes me as analogous to a person's temperament -- both have strengths and weaknesses that can't be wished away. All three of these plants are favorites of mine -- but I can only grow the agave!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent points. Seattle's homeless population has also climbed a lot in the last few years and caused a lot of folks to think about why and how it's been happening. Because I've always had a roof over my head, I sometimes forget what a privilege that is!

      Delete
  7. That blue poppy is glorious and ample evidence that you do indeed live in a gardening wonderland! I was grateful to find that the raccoon I found drinking out of the fountain last night didn't come back later and wreak havoc. I'm grateful to see the birds flitting between the fountain and the feeders. And I'm grateful to see that the Agapanthus and the Shasta daisies are about to bloom.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I laughed when I drove past your house the other day and the yard waste had been removed from your truck and replaced with soil. I was beginning to wonder if you were just starting a compost pile in the truck. I guess you just took a short cut and bought the soil instead of producing it yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The truck had a battery issue for a while and I'd banged up my knee a bit so it just sat there for a while. Since then, it's hauled many truckloads of yard waste away. Even though we have three YW dumpsters, they fill up quickly, especially in the spring! That's Tagro in the truck, waiting to be spread. Do I know you?

      Delete
    2. We met outside your house a year or so ago. You were with Alison (Bonney Lassie) and her husband if that rings a bell. I live a block up the hill from the little playground.

      Delete
    3. Oh yes, I remember that day & what a pleasure it was to meet you! Sorry, just didn't recognize your blogger name. That truck did sit there forever with the yard waste in it!

      Delete
    4. You probably didn't recognize my blogger name because my blog has no content. Ha! Should get on top of that one of these days.

      Delete
  9. Tropaeolum speciosum is amazing!! I'm grateful just to have a garden. I try not to take for granted that I have the opportunity to garden..even when the chores seem to be adding up with little time to spare. I get to go out, wander, photograph or sit and read in my chosen space. I'm thankful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm happy that the heavy work is done for now, and the primping stage allows me to appreciate the little changes in the plants. I'm not sure that I'm happy that the roses are blooming already. What will be left for June? But I am happy that on a sunny day I can walk about in my garden and soak up the beauty of full blown spring!.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You had to yank me over to the "grass is always greener elsewhere" side with that Himalayan blue poppy, LOL.

    Seriously, I'm grateful for the rain on Saturday that let me skip watering and extended the planting window a little bit.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think your Agave would struggle here in the British Isles, it wouldn't like our winters. We have such a lot to be thankful for, the sun, the rain, the wildlife that visits our gardens and other gardeners to share our garden with!

    ReplyDelete
  13. If I could grow blue poppies like that I would be more than grateful. I love them and have tried to grow them so many times. They grow well in Scotland and the West country but not in my part of the UK. And your Tropaeolum speciosum is spectacular. I can never write that T word without checking how many vowels and what order they go in.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm grateful for rain. Incredibly for the South West of England in Spring the garden has been parched. It rained all morning, yippee!
    I love the Tropaeolum speciosum. Worth another try for me too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.