-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Sunday, May 15, 2016

Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day May 2016

Out of control, overgrown, messy, overwhelming, crazy-making, even oppressive are all words that I'd use to describe my garden or maybe my attitude toward my garden recently.  This morning there was no blue sky backdrop for blooms in my garden, just clouds and a light sprinkle.  As I wandered around, the warm wet scent of roses mingled with a strong curry fragrance of Escallonia viscosa which gave way to Valerian,  sweet magnolia and others, all floating atop the heady fragrance of rain on dry earth.  Thoughts of bringing in heavy equipment to rip everything out and start anew began to fade (well, there's still the Phyllostachys vivax trying to take over the planet...) and today,  just for a blessed still moment as I strolled taking pictures of blooms, I didn't hate my garden.  In fact, despite the mess and the undone work, mother nature had worked her magic on my cold, dark, little heart and thoughts of love somehow came bubbling up.  Here's a little music to set the mood as we look at some of what's bloom in my garden this month.


Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day is hosted on the fifteenth of each month by Carol at May Dreams Gardens.  Click over to her blog to join the floral fiesta!

Because of our mild winter, the hardy fuchsias have begun earlier this year than usual. 

Not hardy but was on sale so now I have a hanging fuchsia on the front porch.

Zephirine Drouhin Rose, hardy fuchsia, Iris pallida 'Variegata'

Tropaeolum speciosum

Double impatiens.

Meconopsis lingholm

Iris pallida 'Variegata' was added after I admired how beautifully they grew in Chava's garden

Deutzia

Cecile Brunner rose. 

Rose de Rescht (brief history)

Allium 
Calycanthus x raulstonii 'Hartlage Wine'
 Calycanthus chinensis

An herbaceous peony bud.

Valeriana officinalis

 Allium schubertii


Kolkwitzia amabilis

Weigela

Joseph's Coat rose looking a little battered but the clematis finally bloomed at the same time this year.

'Fragrant Cloud'

Camellia

Podophyllum 'Spotty Dotty'

Rhododendrons


Kalmia in bud.

Crinodendron hookerianum

Tuberous begonias

Another rhododendron 

Iris confusa

Rosa glauca

Abutilon vitifolium

Magnolia macrophylla

Rosa rugosa 'Yankee Lady'




Fremontodendron

buddleja globosa

Carpenteria californica

Hesperis matronalis

Sambucus nigra 'Black Lace' 



Hot Cocoa blooming despite being in less than sunny conditions. 


Argyrocytisus battandieri

Penstemon 'Electric Blue'




Melianthus major 
 Matthiola incana

Clematis and Billardiera longiflora


Abutilon 'Victor Reiter'

Abutilon megapotamicum something or other
Happy GBBD everyone!

35 comments:

  1. Happy GBBD, Peter! You have a wonderful overabundance of beauty in your garden right now. Oppressive and overwhelming describe my own at this point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It helps to put on rose colored glasses and pretend that the faults don't exist.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you found a moment of joy in your garden, there are so many cool plants living there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lovely morning despite the lack of sun. The garden will get put together by about August. It's the process, right?

      Delete
  4. What a fantastic selection you have, so many different varieties!Wandering around your garden must be a delight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes the beauty of the plants grabs my attention away from the many things yet to be done.

      Delete
  5. Oh wow, sensory overload! I love the beauty bush. It was one of my favorite shrubs in our former garden. I have not seen it growing out here much. Are your roses pretty disease resistant?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beauty bush was very popular here around the turn of the century but, for some reason, seems to have fallen out of favor. I sometimes see it on property where houses once stood. I am the worlds worst rosarian and sometimes don't prune the things for years on end. I gave up spraying years ago so if a rose is in my garden, it's disease resistant. Here, we simply put up with a bit of black spot as par for the course.

      Delete
  6. Happy GBBD Peter! You have an amazing assortment of blooms. When I see your pretty rose blossoms, I miss having roses in my garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It surprises me that there are so many roses in my garden. Just happened I guess. You could always add some to your garden if you really miss them.

      Delete
  7. Oh, thanks for the musical interlude! The chorus of "I LYs" started in full force just as I reached the Rhododendrons--perfect timing for the rest of the post. I had to chuckle at your intro, but then when I saw your amazing plants I thought--no, don't change your garden at all. It's perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked the song, just found it recently and it's been playing in my head a lot. You are too kind. Camera angles and prudent shot cropping hide a lot.

      Delete
  8. This is truly an exuberant garden. Such a profusion and color and texture and fragrance. I hope you continue to find joy in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda. Like many things about which we're passionate, gardening brings great joy and great consternation. Ain't it grand?

      Delete
  9. How many acres do you have?! I can understand why the upkeep feels overwhelming but you have good reason to love each and every plant. I'm also amazed by your musical repertoire - you always find just the right piece to match the mood of your posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No acres, just an urban garden that's way overstuffed with plants. The upkeep only feels overwhelming because I've not used the free time I've had very well. Watching television/reading books is relaxing but not very productive. Life is a musical-during just about every interaction I have through the day, there are songs playing in my head. Crazy people often hear voices; mine sing.

      Delete
  10. Awesome! And music as beautiful as your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My garden gets out of control in May, it needs 24 hour care by a team of20 gardeners at this time of the year. But still how wonderful to have such exuberance. Your garden is crammed full of the most wonderful plants. You always have plenty of rarities. Here we have to wait until June to enjoy most of these blooms. By the way, how big is your garden?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm lucky to live near a lot of specialty nurseries that carry all of these rarities! Our blooms are a little earlier this year due to our much warmer than usual spring. My garden is two lots or .26 acre. Much of what I grow is out in the parking strips, the space between the public sidewalks and the street.

      Delete
  12. Beware of pentaglossis sempervirens. The rest of the interlopers can be eradicated.

    Tropaeolum - envy - I have the dark yew hedge to grow it against, but it refuses to grow.

    Mecanopsis - another wish not granted me.

    Kolkwitzia I can do. Knock-on-wood!
    Have you gota bamboo forest behind Joseph's coat?

    All I can say is that your have no reason to grumble about your garden. What a collection.
    I would love to walk that path you show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Pentaglossis sempervirens is a pest but when the soil is relatively soft in the spring, I can dig out those deep tap roots without too much trouble. Somehow it is never totally conquered but at least kept in check. You could walk that path as it's the public sidewalk on the side of our house. Of course, you could come inside the garden as well!

      Delete
  13. Your garden looks like it goes on forever. Love that shot of the path with a wall of roses on the right. Even the things I grow that you grow are way behind. Just buds on Hartlage Wine and Sambucus. Hope my Spotty Dotty makes it as that is one great looking plant. I have it caged to protect it from the rabbits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My garden looks larger in pictures than it really is. The path with the roses is the public sidewalk on the side of our house.

      Delete
  14. And what is the name of the botanical garden you live in?:-)
    Ray

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Ray, thanks for commenting! I just call it the cramityville horror.

      Delete
  15. It's probably the mature garden syndrome -- every time my plants get established and happy I want to rip it all out and start over. I haven't seen a Rose de Rescht in quite a while. And that deutzia looks like one I once grew called 'Magicien.' Thank goodness you're growing all the cool plants, Peter -- someone has to do it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gee Denise, I thought you were growing all the cool plants. The only truly frustrating thing in my garden is the love\hate relationship I have with the Phyllostachys vivax and trying to control it after letting it spread for many years.

      Delete
  16. I sincerely hope you do not hate your garden. It's fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks R.D. Mostly, I'm frustrated that I've not spent more time working in my garden. Summer break is coming and things will get put together.

      Delete
  17. Hi Peter! So many blooms! My garden, in comparison with yours, went on strike!
    I've never seen Podophyllum blooming - how cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so funny! It's easy to miss Podophyullum blooms as they hide under the leaves.

      Delete
  18. You have taken "cramscaping" to new heights! I say that in all admiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you! If you add enough organic matter, it's amazing how much plant life a little bit of soil can hold!

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.