-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Monday, May 2, 2016

In A Vase on Monday - The Fiery Sphere Climbs Higher

The first time I saw and smelled  Buddleja globosa (AKA Orange Ball Tree) it was growing behind a huge Ceanothus (California Lilac) at Dragonfly Farms Nursery.   Since they both bloom at the same time and have complimentary colors and fragrances, it was a delight.

When I finally got a specimen of the Buddleja, 

there was no space left near my Ceanothus.  

Any of the three varieties I have.  Oh well.  Since a large branch of  Buddleja  had grown out into the street, I knew that it would be in today's vase and started searching for a spherical vase, preferably black, to compliment their shape.  Alas, no such receptacle caught my eye.  Since I remembered the blue and orange combination from Dragonfly Farms, I  decided to bring them together for this arrangement.

A branch of Kolkwitzia amabilis, hanging out into the sidewalk was also pruned  to join the rest. 

This nice light blue/ periwinkle(?) vase, a thrift store find, was approved by St. Francis's head. 

The buddleja was standing up in back a bit more and I didn't notice until just now that by the time I took them into the dining room and photographed them, they were drooping and making the Kolkwitzia look like a lone player standing above a flat line of flowers. 

The fiery sphere of the sun climbs higher in our northern-hemisphere sky, our gardens are bursting with life and color as flora and fauna spring to life in the all to brief warmth to perpetuate their kind. The three glass spheres, selected to echo the shape and color of the buddleja and honor the sun, are, in real life, much more complimentary to each other.
In a Vase on Monday is hosted each week by the extremely creative Cathy at Rambling in the Garden.  Click here to see what she's put together this Monday and links to the offerings of other participating bloggers.


22 comments:

  1. Love those orange balls! The orange and blue complement each other very nicely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they fun? This would look great with all of your orange California poppies. Want me to root a cutting for you?

      Delete
  2. Love this combo especially the orange balls. I don't think of myself as an "orange" person and yet I find myself adding orange Lilium henryii to my blue border. We'll see how that works out later this summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like you, I've never thought of myself as an orange person (red maybe) but it keeps growing on me. Looking forward to seeing your orange lilies in your blue border.

      Delete
  3. Sweet! Oh how I wish I had space for that Buddleja globosa...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If they're anything like the other Buddlejas, it could be cut way back every year and still bloom. On the other hand, when not in bloom, the foliage is, well, Buddleja foliage and in the winter it's a snooze.

      Delete
  4. I do love the light blue vase and how it just magnifies the colors of the flowers....really lovely

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew that something would work with that vase when I saw it at the thrift shop.

      Delete
  5. What a brilliant combination Peter - I have seen a yellow buddleja like this here in the UK but not orange and it really zings with the ceanothus. Love those spheres too - are they hollow? Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The orange color was a bit of a surprise when the bush first bloomed last year as most I've seen are more of a sulphur yellow. The largest sphere is hollow, the other two are solid. It's a lot of fun to participate in your Monday vase party!

      Delete
  6. I've never seen a Buddleja like that - it's a lovely thing, as is your vase! The blue and orange combination is wonderful and the glass spheres are the perfect embellishment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked the vase, Kris. I think B. globosa, being a native of Chile, would grow well in your climate.

      Delete
  7. Beautiful vase Peter! But... isn't buddleja a no-no in the PNW?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, Alan. Buddleja (also sometimes Buddleia) davidii spreads widely by seed and is a noxious weed but B. globosa and others are better behaved and okay.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. I wish I could take credit for thinking of it.

      Delete
  9. Oh yeah, great idea to put them in a vase together. Complimentary colors across the color wheel--nice. And the glass spheres add panache!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fun to steal, I mean borrow, combination ideas from other people's gardens.

      Delete
  10. Happiness is: Orange and Purple in the garden.
    I never see you use the same vase twice. It makes me wonder about the extent of your collection :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to use different ones each time. There's a nearby thrift store that supports a couple of worthy causes that puts everything on sale at 50% off each Saturday. I've been finding fun vases there for a buck or two. Some stay as part of the hoard in the basement shelves, some get donated back.

      Delete
  11. Great combination of flowers and twice as good as the pruning was necessary anyway - great job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my, that buddleja is wonderful. I have never seen that one before. And it's blooming already!
    I love this arrangement!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.