-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Monday, August 24, 2015

The Colchicum Are Peeking Out of the Ground


As summer is winding down, it's always a treat to see something fresh, new and delicate -looking popping out of the ground!  The foliage of Colchicum wakes early in the spring and ripens off by June and then in late August, the leafless "crocus" blooms begin and bloom through September. Thy're a signal plant telling of seasonal change.   For more information about these, look here.




You Are the New Day

I will love you more than m
and more than yesterday
If you can but prove to me
you are the new day

Send the sun in time for dawn
Let the birds all hail the morning
Love of life will urge me say
you are the new day


When I lay me down at night
knowing we must pay
Thoughts occur that this night might
stay yesterday

Thoughts that we as humans small 
could slow worlds and end it all 
lie around me where they fall
before the new day



One more day when time is running out
for everyon
Like a breath I knew would come I reach for 
a new day

Hope is my philosophy
Just needs days in which to be
Love of life means hope for me
borne on a new day

You are the new day

-John David



Soon they'll look like this picture taken last September.

Happy new week, happy new day!

22 comments:

  1. Time flies so fast, autumn's on its way...

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are lovely, Peter. Should remind just about anyone that fall is full of beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Autumn can't come soon enough, for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love them with the black mondo grass, nice pairing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Last year I was so enamored with this combo it inspired me to copy it!
    None of my Colchicum had emerged yet. The Mondo grass I transplanted seem to be doing well. I hope for a magnificent display like yours in due time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's surprising how quickly Mondo grass fills in and the Colchicum multiply.

      Delete
  6. So pretty! I'm eagerly looking for signs of fall here but there's regrettably little evidence of it so far.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Colchicums are just so lovely - hopefully that means some rain is on it's way!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful! I hope you have a wonderful school year! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I have to go see if ours are popping up!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't noticed mine yet, must go an have a look once I've had my breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fun to see the progression and the final fabulous display. Thanks for letting us in on the anticipation.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How lovely, they seem early. I will go and see if mine are showing yet tomorrow. They always make me think that Autumn is here.

    ReplyDelete
  13. How lovely, they seem early. I will go and see if mine are showing yet tomorrow. They always make me think that Autumn is here.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.