-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Thursday, August 27, 2015

Meanwhile Out in the Greenhouse


Quite a few plants that usually get carted outdoors for the summer stayed in the greenhouse this summer.  One of them is a Brugmansia 'Charles Grimaldi'  that usually got plunged into the ground, pot and all each spring.  When fall came, out it would come.  roots that had grown out of the drainage holes into the soil would be cut and the poor plant would be thrown into the basement where it would lose all of it's foliage.  It had gotten pretty large and quite unhappy in it's pot so this spring it got potted up and has rewarded me with more growth and  a couple of flushes of blooms despite the spider mites trying to kill it.



Opening the greenhouse door and encountering the moist air, heavy with brugmansia perfume is an olfactory delight!

The volume of blooms is far greater this time than last.  It's difficult to capture the entirety of the plant without a wide angle lens.

The height of the plant is wonderful as viewing the show from beneath is different from my usual side view.



It's grown so large that it takes up nearly a quarter of the greenhouse space up top and is large enough to have tillandsias in the crotches of it's branches and even a small plant or two hanging from it.


Three little maids from school taken in the evening with no flash.

With flash.

 The next sunny morning. 

Thanks, Charles, for the great back to school gift!

19 comments:

  1. Brugs are regular growing, blooming machines.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So nice, especially the description of opening the door and being hit with the fragrance. Envious!

    Will you prune it back before bringing in your other plants for the winter? You don't want him hogging all of the light I'd think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful flush of blooms! The fragrance is amazing, especially if confined indoors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a beast! But, the beast is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I bet the scent is fantastic. Mine are all blooming heavily right now, and I can smell them inside the house with the windows open. I'm so glad I got my first few of these when we moved here. I'm planning to put them in the garage this winter instead of the greenhouse, which will free up space in there for something else.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You must love looking up at that wonderful view, the sun backlighting the trumpets. Beautiful shots. Not to spoil the party, are you worried that the spider mites will damage plants in the green house?

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's just gorgeous Peter! Lucky you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, this is the most spectacular brugmansia I've ever seen in "captivity." Next year it will take over the entire greenhouse and you'll need to build a new one for the rest of your plants!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Still waiting for the first of many swelling Brug buds to open here. Yours is an inspiration. I'm going out there to try to shame mine into a little better performance.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Quite the overachiever, I'd say!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your Brugmansia is a work of art. Mine, in a pot and underwatered, has produced a single flower and looks sad. I've been contemplating giving it up but your photos just made that decision that much harder.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the blooms, just can't stand growing a brug again. Even your amazing brug can't tempt me. Nope, not one bit. This color is my fav, tho...and I like the Gilbert & Sullivan reference!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a vision, and in smell-o-vision to boot!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely pictures, Peter! It must be breathtaking seeing those golden yellow blooms hanging in the rafters, especially with the sun shining through. This is one of the most beautiful brugs I've seen.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful pictures, Peter! I've seen brugmansia only in Conservatories. I can imagine the fragrance you feel opening the door :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.