-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Thursday, July 17, 2014

Visiting Valley Nursery - You Never Know Who You'll Run Into.

Last month, Evan Bean, plant geek, Vicki Haushild, plant nut, and I went on a day trip to visit Valley Nursery, Windcliff, Dragonfly Farms, Celestial Dream Gardens, and Far Reaches Farm.  At our first stop, this fellow greeted us.


So did this one even though he as pretty well camouflaged.  The human staff here is also very friendly and it was delightful to see them especially my pal, Debbie Teashon who introduced me to Richie Steffen, curator of the Elizabeth Miller Botanical Garden, who happened to be shopping at Valley as well.

Tentacle pots made me laugh out loud!

When I see cool planters like these, I want to grab some clay and create some of my own! 

I enjoy seeing miniature gardens even though I don't feel the urge to have one in my own space.

Tiny worlds in broken pots.



Albany Wooly Bush, Adenanthos sericeus,  caught my eye with its soft foliage and red new growth. 

The jury's still out on this crested aeonium.  What do you think, is it fabulous in its weirdness or just sort of sickly looking?
 
 The sea bed of succulents is coming along nicely.

Kniphofia 'Mango Popsicle' looks good enough to eat!

Color grouped plants, a great idea for those looking to create nice combinations in their pots or beds.

One can just get a slice of one of these groupings and have a stunning display!
 
While the bright colors in the first group appealed to me, this group of deeper shades and white is also gorgeous! 
 
 
Having never met Evan in Person before and only reconnecting with Vicky a month or so before the trip, I though that we might run out of things to discuss.  Was I ever wrong!  We gabbed about gardening all day like old friends - the magic of the garden blogosphere!  Here are Evan and Vicki smiling just before we put our purchases in the plant mobile to head over to Windcliff.   
 
I had a great time and am looking forward to more plant adventures with these characters!

17 comments:

  1. I am feeling very silly now not to have come on this adventure, but there was too much going on at the time. It does sound like it was lots of fun. I love those tentacle pots, and the crested Aeonium is definitely cool! Great marketing idea to group those plants by color. The dark with white also appeals to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You had a lot on your plate and had just visited these nurseries so it was totally understandable that you didn't go! We were thinking that another adventure in August would be fun, maybe going to Flower World and Molbaks so maybe we'll find a time that works for everyone.

      Delete
    2. Oh, I love that idea! Definitely include me in that adventure!

      Delete
  2. Wish I could have tagged along too. Oh the hard choices we have to make here in the land of garden and plant riches!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Tentacle pots are indeed funny, but their price will make you cry.
    It's wonderful to see Evan and Vicki, put a face to comments on your blog. Rabid gardeners never run out of things to say. Non gardeners just run.
    These hot pokers are practically iridescent, mine are just starting to come up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right about the tentacle pots but they are hand made and I know how long it must have taken to make them so they are worth the price even though they are a little dear for my budget.

      Rabid gardeners are seldom lacking in things to discuss with each other! It's a joy to go plant hunting with folks who understand the thrill of discovering a new leaf, flower, etc.

      Delete
  4. I loved every minute of the adventure. Best day ever!!! Marathon nursery and garden tour...and great company. Plant hunting and laughing...what could be better? Thanks Evan and Peter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved our adventure together too! Can't wait to do it again! Thank YOU for your part in making it so much fun! I'll never forget the giggling as we left Far Reaches, plants in hand. Non-gardeners just don't understand.

      Delete
  5. I think the crested Aeonium would be fine - in someone else's garden. I love those octopus pots but nearly choked at the price.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, the crested Aeonium is very interesting but I don't have an urge to posses it. I hear you on the octopus pots but the person who made them is only getting 1/4 of the price. I wonder if there's a direct source?

      Delete
  6. Oh the secondary careers you could have: tour guide, clay artist, plant scout...where will you ever find the time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who needs sleep? Those things all sound like a lot more fun!

      Delete
  7. Looks like a fun visit! And what an awesome cat!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh, I've visited some of your itinerary so can't wait for more reports. (And I'd add garden tour bon vivant, glass artist, to the list of secondary careers.) The crested aeonium doesn't do much for me, but I'll take the kitty and another adenanthos. Just planted one this spring.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, you managed to get a half-way decent picture of me! That doesn't happen often. What a great day! That was the most fun I've had in over a year. Thanks for the memories!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is always a pleasure to see you Peter! And see Vickie and meet Evan. I love those surprises when you or Alison bump into me at Valley. I won't have that pleasure much longer as the season winds down and I will be back to working from home again.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.