-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Friday, July 11, 2014

Desfontainia fulgens is my favorite plant...this week.

It's also known as Desfontainia spinosa and Chilean Holly.  When I first saw this large specimen at Far Reaches Farm (full post about the visit soon) I asked Sue how she glued those flowers to her holly.
Although she said that she alternated between super glue and a hot glue gun, the truth is that it's supposed to do that!




Although they've taken cuttings, this plant is not yet ready for sale.  It's also not hardy here so must be taken inside during the winter.  Kelly was kind enough to let me have one of the cuttings which I'll try my darndest not to kill!


Isn't it sweet?  

This grows slowly to five feet (about the size of the specimen at Far Reaches)  in 10 to 20 years.  It's the journey, right?   This week, I'm pleased as punch with this little cutie!

For more information, see the interesting article here.  To see other gardeners' favorites this week click on over to Danger Garden!

15 comments:

  1. Yes, it's the journey: in and out of the house for winter protection!
    Just kidding, it's very cute. If it was a vigorous grower it would be that much harder to shlep back and forth, so in this case slow growth is a blessing. I wonder if hummers show interest in these awesome flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wondered about the hummers too. If I don't kill the plant, I'll let you know.

      Delete
  2. When I 1st saw the title of the post, I thought you were making up plant names. It looks like a Cuphea interbred with a holly. I hope you're able to keep it going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have made up plant names before but not in this case. I'll try not to kill it.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful. I think we don't have that plant here in Finland. Happy weekend, Peter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is lovely but wouldn't be hardy in Finland. Happy new week, Satu!

      Delete
  4. Love it! I've been in love with this plant since I first heard of it almost a year ago. I kind of wish I had asked Kelly if I could have grabbed one, too, but I'm planning to include one in my order to Bovees during their fall sale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for helping me with the name, Evan. It's a cool plant and was new to me.

      Delete
  5. I was just reading about this plant and feeling "the need" for one. Now I REALLY want it. Nice section in Hinkley's the Explorer's Garden, Shrubs and Vines about it.
    The one at Far Reaches was really magnificent. I didn't even think about asking. Far Reaches was overwhelming. "Far" too many things I didn't know:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too funny. I've had that book for years and yet didn't remember the plant at all. Always more to learn isn't there?

      Delete
  6. I've always thought Holly has red berries only.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are hollies with different colored berries but this is not an ilex at all.

      Delete
  7. It's a beauty, and it's always good to put your paternal skills to the test from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's in the Rhododendron Species Botanical Garden's fall catalog.

    Deirdre

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.