-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Fun From My Garden

With working seven days a week during most of the year, it's been a treat to have a couple of free weeks to play in my garden!  Lots of little projects got done with a lot more that need to be done.  Here are some of the things in my garden that  made me smile while I was working.

I got the lower head planter on a visit to Rosedale Gardens (post to come later) with my garden blogging pal, Alison, who also bought one.  Wonder where she put hers?

The kalmia on the right has never been covered with so many flowers and the dead-looking bamboo on the left is actually putting out more leaves.  So glad I listened to Alison's advice and didn't get another!

I got this cool amber "seed pod" last time I visited Judi Hook.  It glows when the sun hits it!

Meanwhile, the one she made for me, delivered, and helped install this March is looking much more integrated now that the plants have filled in a bit.

The naked gardener came out of the garage and now has a place in the garden again. 

This dragon by Blackwaters metal never made it onto my car as a hood ornament but I like it here preparing to eat the severed head of a cherub!

The everlasting alliums that I first saw in Linda and Tom Reeder's garden and purchased from Gardener's Supply last fall are finally out of their box.


This beautiful Italian bench, a Christmas gift from my pal Florence, had been sitting around in pieces and is now  together and in a permanent place. 


Fiddleheads from the lovely and talented Barbara Saunderson of Glass Gardens Northwest finally came out of their bubble wrap and into the garden.  Looking forward to adding more.  Blue next?

Glass flowers are blooming!

Is there anything quite as cute as a new hatchling? 

Now it's time to do more tidying and clean up of beds and brickwork.  There's always something to do in the garden isn't there?

30 comments:

  1. Ah usually many things to do in the garden...

    Everything is looking so lush Peter, and your sense of humor is evident everywhere. I do like those glass fiddleheads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are too kind D.G. Hope you're not going too crazy with fling stuff!

      Delete
  2. So much fun garden art! I remember many of them mentioned in various posts as you purchased them and glad to see they find a proper place in the garden: everything is looking great. As much as I love head planters (pot heads?) I got the biggest kick from the face at bottom of the stairs. Priceless. Why do you think the kalmia is doing so well this year? Just a matter of maturing? It provides a wonderful and natural pop of color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Kalmia could be a matter of maturation. I have three of them, one much younger than the other two and the two older ones bloomed very well this year after being there for about 5 years. I originally thought that I'd have to move them to sunnier locations but clearly that didn't need to happen.

      Delete
  3. I love the head-pot and white bench! I'd like to have them in my garden as well!
    Poor naked gardener, the mosquitoes are around him:((

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed them. The naked gardener doesn't seem to mind the mosquitoes too much.

      Delete
  4. Oh, you have been having fun. Thanks for passing it along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always fun to place new stuff in the garden and to share the joy!

      Delete
  5. Lots of nice garden art. I am usually all about the plants, bit I love the heads, especially the baby one getting eaten by the dragon! I love the amber seed pod. Looking at the fiddleheads I can see another use for them: place several sticking up out of water with some sort of monster head in the middle, maybe hang another baby head from one of the fiddlehead tentacles like you did with the dragon. Tacoma's own Loch Ness Monster!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw, dang. I'm disappointed that you stopped. I wanted to see more. That was such a delightful post, Peter. I love all your garden goodies and I'm glad you got to take time off from work and spend some time in your personal paradise. The second photo, with the brick walkway and the Kalmia and the columns and the hosta.... fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are too kind, Grace. It was wonderful to have time to play outside & one of these days, I'll do a post of some wide shots again.

      Delete
  7. Glad you were able to carve out the time from a busy work schedule to have a little fun and get a bunch of stuff out of their "boxes"! Sure makes for an interesting garden! My favorite kind of stuff - and I mean "stuff" in the best possible way. And seeing your allium cinches my determination to get some for myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alliums are such wonderful bulbs! They'll take all kinds of neglect and abuse and keep coming back year after year!

      Delete
  8. Peter you are having WAY too much fun in that garden. My favorite is the naughty dragon although the naked guy is a close second.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Must stop having fun; gardening is serious stuff:) Glad you liked the dragon and naked guy as those are a little much for some. It's a joy to make people laugh.

      Delete
  9. Oh, Peter, you have such fun in your garden! Nice job on the glass flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That I do! I made those flowers the old way (drilling the glass, bolting together, screwed into a dowel forced into the pole) several years ago. I'm looking forward to making them your way as they're easier to store inside for the winter. These poor things have been left out year after year.

      Delete
  10. Your garden certainly is a fun place to be, its good to see you have found a home for all your purchases!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was nice to clear out the front parlor and to actually see some of these things again.

      Delete
  11. I love all of your garden art! The naked gardener is my favorite. I need one of those ;) Isn't it fantastic to have a bit of time in the summer to just soak it all in and enjoy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We got him at an auction many years ago along with a lot of other mannequins & parts. Nobody would bid on them so they cost very little. Our little truck got lots of second looks with the back filled with body parts. It was getting dark and some of the arms, legs, etc. had been used in a T.V. series filmed in the area and had blood painted on them. Fortunately, the police weren't called.

      Delete
  12. So many things to admire! Love the brick path with round inserts! The last picture is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your garden is looking great Peter. You have so many unique "object d'art" Nice. Love the glass fiddleheads. Definitely need more of those

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deanne! The fiddleheads are available for purchase online so they could be growing in your garden too!

      Delete
  14. Glad to see you're having fun placing some of your newly purchased garden art out in your garden. My own pot head is actually hiding in a big plastic bin in my garage. I figure I'll take it out eventually and when Nigel notices I'll just say I've had it a while. I love the brontosaurus head peeking out of the concrete egg.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh silly, you don't have to hide your pot anymore; it's legal now. I've had both the dinosaur and the egg for several years but just put them together.

      Delete
  15. I missed this while I was in the States, but I absolutely LOVE IT! lots of fun stuff in your garden!! It was great to meet you!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It was great to meet you too, Lisa! I hope you had a great time at the fling and will come again!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.