-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Wednesday, October 3, 2018

Wednesday Vignette - Grateful

As the days grow shorter, cooler, wetter and busier, I sometimes forget how very fortunate we are to live in this magical climate.  Warm enough to grow palm trees yet with autumn evening temperatures cool enough to bring on nice autumn colors like the gold of the coral bark maple in the background, always my first tree to start changing color.  In out climate, we can grow a wider variety of plants than anywhere else on the planet other than tropical rainforests.  I must remind myself of that repeatedly during the winter when I gaze longingly  at the garden blogs of my Californian friends!

Always changing, transforming, evolving, nothing stands still for long.  

Speaking of change, one of my favorite garden writers, Ann Lovejoy, recently posted this on her blog.  Well worth a read!

Wednesday Vignette is hosted by Anna at Flutter and Hum.  Click here to see more. 

13 comments:

  1. A beautiful and thoughtful WV from you, and a wonderful post from Ann that you linked to. Thank you Peter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A nice shot of the palm, and some good thoughts. I read that Ann Lovejoy post too, and loved it. Good idea to share it on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the link! That was indeed a great post - as is yours. We have so much to be grateful for - and not just gardening in such a forgiving climate.
    ~ Anna K

    ReplyDelete
  4. Merely saying coral bark maple breaks my heart here in the midwest.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You do indeed live in a magical environment. And THANK YOU for including a link to Ann Lovejoy's post. I'm going to send it on to friends who, like me, have been caught in the upheaval of emotions over the past week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gratitude is always a good thing. You live in a lovely climate!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing Ann Lovejoy's post. It added much to my understanding.
    We were fortunate that we here in the PNW can take such pleasure and solace in nature.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your climate sounds wonderful to me living down here in s.e. FL. It was cooler yesterday though and less humid, so there was definitely a 'hint' of fall.

    That is a lovely photo of the palm fronds.

    A spirit of gratitude can change so many things, starting within ourselves.

    Have a great day Peter ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  9. We need to spread a big helping of that gratitude around to see us through these trying times.
    rickii

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.