-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Monday, October 22, 2018

In a Vase on Monday

In a Vase on Monday is hosted by Cathy at Rambling in the Garden.  Do click here to see her vase this week and to find links to other participating bloggers' vases.

While there are still blooms in my garden, what's catching my eye these days are colorful berries and fruits.  Today's vase contains Callicarpa (Beauty Berry) a few oak leaves gathered during a walk in the park, dried  lunaria annua and Paulownia tomentosa seed pods and a couple trusses of the weedy Phytolacca americana.


 Joining the vase are a couple of pumpkins from one of the boxes of autumn decorations. 

Emptying my pockets from a recent walk also produced a few horse chestnuts (conkers) and a couple of bitter oranges from the Poncirus trifoliata 'Flying Dragon' in my parking strip.  Perhaps I'll pick up some bright orange Physalis alkekengi from the store to add to the arrangement.
Hope your week is stellar and that you'll start it off by sharing something you've brought inside to enjoy.

20 comments:

  1. I have missed seeing your wonderful vases and this is a beauty....pun intended. ;0

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear from you again, Donna and thanks for the pun!

      Delete
  2. A wonderful color scheme. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your purple and orange arrangement looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Phytolacca americana berries add a nice touch, did you actually plant it? Or are you just letting it stay for awhile? So glad you removed the contents of your pocket before laundering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first one was bird planted in the parking strip. They've spread around a bit but are fairly easy to control/kill by cutting them to the ground for a season. Fortunately, there have been no pocket treasure laundering accidents for quite some time.

      Delete
  5. Those Callicarpa berries are almost surreal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are wonderful and require no care from me at all.

      Delete
  6. I love Beautyberries! Great arrangement.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Peter, the lunaria pods look magical beneath the beauty berries. Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beauty berries are one of my very favorites of this season. Those purple berries are so pretty. I will never forget the first time I saw them. I couldn't believe they were real.

    ReplyDelete
  9. mmmm...purple and orange: one of my all-time favorite combos.
    rickii

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have been enjoying my purple beauty berries outside, as well as all the orange berries on cotoneaster and mountain ash. I still have my arrangement from last Monday, but it is looking a bit tired. Maybe I'll take a clue from yours when I replace it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautyberry is surprising in that it seems to grow east, west, north and south - a truly versatile plant. It certainly is gorgeous this time of year. Happy week to you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very cool,love the Pawlonia haven't seen one in years. Orange was a stroke of genius with the Beautyberry.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great combination, Peter! The Callicarpa berries are always so stunning. I'm hoping mine will grow a little more next year--they're really tiny and no flowers or berries this year. But the foliage is pretty, too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A lovely autumny effect Peter. I have never managed to save any lunaria seedheads as they seem to go brown rather than silver in my garden! And the beautyberries are a bit exotic still for us, although gaining popularity. The paulownia pods are completely new to me though.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a lovely combination. I love your callicarpa, mine never fruits as well as this. Do they need lots of moisture? Like you I always come home from a walk with full pockets.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, conkers in the pocket, lovely! I have seen none this year yet. I love your autumnal arrangement - and watch out for my anniversary challenge, which should be right up your street...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh how pretty Peter and a timely reminder for me to peel my lunaria seedcases :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.