-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Monday, October 15, 2018

Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day October 2018 and In a Vase on Monday

How can it be the middle of October already and time for Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day again?   The garden is definitely slowing down but there are still a few summer stragglers blooming on in my zone 8 Western Washington garden.

Impatiens


Most likely the last flush of bloom from the brugmansias is nearly over. 

Roses.


Impatiens omeiana is right on time with it's October blooms. 

Cyclamen blooms soon will be gone but that beautiful foliage is emerging and will be green all winter long.

Last Roscoe of the season. 

All the fuchsias are blooming like winter will never come. 

So are the Abutilons.



Persicaria amplex. 'Golden Arrow'

Salvias. I forgot to venture out front to take pictures of the others out there. 

A few tired tuberous begonias that haven't been cut off and taken to the basement still have flowers.

Coleus.

Getting ready for winter, kale and pansies will cheer the cold months. 

Arbutus unedo just began blooming and is covered with refreshing white blooms. 

I always forget the name of this fall blooming plant.  (It's Hemiboea subcapitata -Thanks Camille!)

Inside, an impulse buy Kalanchoe brings cheer. 

Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day is hosted on the fifteenth of the month by Carol at May Dreams Gardens. Click here to join the blooming  party.

In a Vase on Monday is hosted by Cathy at Rambling in the Garden.  Click here to see what others have brought inside to enjoy this week.

In an old carnival glass vase that had belonged to my mother, I quickly threw some large miscanthus blades and seed heads along with the seed head of Angelica stricta ‘Purpurea’ and a few sprigs of Persicaria amplex. 'Golden Arrow.' It's difficult to make out the color of the vase but it's an amber\orange that's perfect for the season.

Joining the arrangement is a collection of ceramic seed pods.  The long one that looks a bit like milkweed is the newest addition.  These two were both made by Jeff  Pinto.

I'm not sure who made this one but it came home with me from Hortlandia several years ago.

Happy Monday all!

32 comments:

  1. Driving past a local nursery the other day I noticed they had a few brugmansias just *loaded* with hanging white blooms and I thought of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Alan, I think you need to add one to your jungle next year!

      Delete
  2. Your kale and pansies pot is a great fall combo. You certainly still have a lot to enjoy in your garden. Roscoe is hardy here but I have never tried them. Do you like them or have any comments on them etc?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy Roscoe but they're always fairly late to emerge in the open garden so often get trampled by a forgetful gardener. I've had more success with them planted in pots where they're not forgotten.

      Delete
  3. You've got an excellent ceramic seed pod collection!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find your photographs intriguing with the dark background. Are you taking them at night with a flash? Perfect blooms and your arrangement in the Carnival Glass vase with the fizzing grass and falling leaves reminiscent of the shapes of fireworks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a function of my camera. These were taken when it was light outside but with a flash. On one close-up setting, it makes the background dark like that which helps hide all the bad parts of the garden.

      Delete
  5. What a fabulous collection of blooms in this post. Love your elegant vase and especially love the ceramic seed pods - you have some interesting collections. Thanks so much for sharing them with us Peter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your accessories are always a delight Peter - these ceramic seed pods are gorgeous and the grass is a great focal point for this vase

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've always likes the leafs of Impatiens omeiana, but worried about their spreading habit. Do you find them difficult to control?
    I love seed pods, real or ceramic. They are companions to any display.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't find Impatiens omeiana difficult to control. They like moisture and wilt if they don't get enough water so those growing under trees with thirsty roots droop their heads a lot and don't perform all that well during the hottest weeks. However, they come back like gangbusters the next year. My best ones are in pots where I can give them what they want.

      Delete
  8. That frilly fuchsia is stunning! Your vase is really striking and the ceramic seed pods are lovely. Very interesting to look at.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have a wonderful diversity of blooms in your garden and they are all gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I thought that Impatiens in your first shot was a Camellia sasanqua at first! I was surprised to learn that your Cyclamen flowers don't last longer - the plants have barely made their first appearance here but then they're most often treated as annuals in our area. Happy GBBD and merry IAVOM!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love those ceramic seed pods!
    We still have roses blooming, and impatiens, and a few annuals. We cut down all the dahlias since they gad gone to mildew. We;re wanting to chop and weed and trim for the fall clean up and take advantage of the good weather, but it means saying goodbye to summer flowers. We'll let the frost take care of some of them, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice to see your blooms inventory for the month--impressive Peter. Brugmansia is an interesting plant that I rarely see around here. The vase is striking with the dramatic grasses. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Our burgmansia bloomed and I missed it. We've had so many stormy days that flowers sort of snuck up on us and I basically missed them. glad you got to enjoy yours!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, in spite of your chilly weather, you still have a lot of beauty blooming there. I like your ceramic seed pods, very interesting.

    Have a great week ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  15. Roscoe - definitely a new flower for me. And how beautiful is that flower arrangement? I love depression glass - I have a couple of pieces but nothing inherited - beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The pods are so cool to see! I love your brugmansia. My garden is way too windy for tall plants, sadly. Your colors are so pretty, especially the fuscia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for commenting so that I could find your cool blog! Happy spring to you!

      Delete
  17. I didn't realize zone 8 went up to Washington. So many plants that are new to me! I think fuchsias are one of my favorite plants. Are they perennials or annuals? Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we're very lucky in the Pacific Northwest that the warm Japanese ocean current keeps our winters quite mild. Only a hundred miles inland from where we are, it goes down to zone 5. Many fuchsias are perennial here and all are perennials in warmer climates. Thanks for stopping by and for commenting!

      Delete
  18. Your Impatiens and Roses are so pretty! My Fuchsias are doing quite well now, too, even though we're flirting with 32 at night lately. They're in hanging baskets, and I water them every night which is supposed to help them fight the cold. Your Salvias are gorgeous, too!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You have so many beautiful blooms, they are all so lovely. Love your frilly fuchsia, very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You still have a nice selection of blooms. Happy GBBD.
    Your vase looks lively with those grasses flying here and there. Love those seed pods. What a nice collection. Happy IAVOM on Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful blooms! I keep telling myself to buy Cyclamen, but it just slips right out of my mind again. Yours is lovely!
    Very nice vase arrangement, too!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Still quite a fair amount blooming in your garden and I'm a bit envious that you can keep pansies and kale, which would perish here. I have to be happy with holly berries and evergreens.
    I like your ceramic pods!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Absolutely lovely blooms ,fuchsia is annual in our region ,liked the cyclamen and what lovely shot of Kalanchoes .
    Have a great week ahead .

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.