-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Friday, May 13, 2016

Meanwhile, Out in the Greenhouse...

Last week, you got to see some of my messy garden with pots of plants covering just about everything.  Planting has gone slowly because, even though there is a lot more daylight after work, we've had record-breaking high temperatures for this time of year so just keeping the pots watered and doing basic maintenance chores in the garden takes most of the available time.  Of course, everything is growing out onto the public sidewalks so I've also been doing a lot of cutting and tying back but much more is left to do.  It feels like I'm barely keeping on top of keeping everything alive and already the spider mites have decided to start attacking plants in the greenhouse.  Nifty.  If you thought the garden was a mess, wait until you see the greenhouse full of plants begging to be carried outside for the summer and/or be potted up.

These pictures were taken a couple of weeks ago.  Today, as I was watering, I noticed lots of blooms and buds on the brugmansias.  The largest one, not pictured, that stays in the greenhouse now because of it's size is nearly entirely defoliated courtesy of the spider mites.  Unfortunately, the leaves are so high that I didn't detect them until recently.  Fortunately, the greenhouse is much brighter without a canopy of huge leaves covering so much of the roof space.  First the little mites got a nice hard spray from the hose and then out came the neem oil.  Fun.

The agaves and other succulents rather like the heat of the greenhouse in the summer so some may get to stay in this year.


I'm thrilled that the Tephrocactus geometricus and Tephrocactus articulatus on the right made it through the winter in the greenhouse and just noticed that one of them is putting on some new growth. 

Plants have a tendency to get larger.  Funny thing, that.  "The puppy was small when I brought it home..."  It's time to cull the collection and find happy new homes for some of these darlings.

Never did get around to painting the interior.  Oh well.  

Some re-arranging is definitely in order!

The Spanish Moss loves it out here.  The experimental bits that I left outside for the winter are DYK (dead you know.)  The winter was certainly mild enough but it obviously wasn't happy out there. Fortunately, the birds have made the carcass disappear to be used as nest building material.

This space was just supposed to be a utilitarian place to throw tender plants for the winter but it has become another crowded garden room.  I'm not complaining,  mind you, just noticing.   So, this Saturday, visit Windcliff and Sudquist Gardens, tour a couple of gardens down south that I've not seen before, or stay home and get some work done in my own garden?

It's hard to get an answer from this guy. He's the strong silent type. 

Happy weekend!

16 comments:

  1. Your greenhouse looks wonderful!! Certainly looks like it doesn't need rearranging :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Weekend to you too! I'm so far behind on garden cleanup this year I know I'll never catch up. Many plants have already grown so large they've covered up last year's dead bits, so I think I'll just leave them in place till next year. Your greenhouse looks like one of those wonderfully quirky, stuffed-full garden shops that is a delight to explore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tephrocactus are very cute. Dare I say they are shaped like pine cones? Your greenhouse looks awesome. "...it's time to cull the collection..." Ha! Good luck with that, but if you plan a garage sale, let me know :-)
    If I had to guess, I'd say "garden visits" win over "stay home and tidy". How did I do?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha - you sound just as overwhelmed as I feel! But, if I were to choose, I can only relate how absolutely cathartic last weekend was for me. Muddy and covered in debris, I emerged with the setting sun, with a big, silly grin on my face. I got so much done!!! Not nearly enough, and there is still tons left to tend to, but still - it was a tremendously satisfying weekend. I missed the Swap, but that was the only cloud in my sky that day. Good luck with your decision making. I think your garage looks fabulous! That Spanish moss is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Let's see...I predict a visit to Windcliff and Sudquist Gardens, followed by time spent in your own garden...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your greenhouse looks like an upscale indoor plant nursery! Just put price tags on things and throw open the doors, LOL.

    Seriously, spider mites are the worst. They're so hard to get rid of under crowded conditions. You may need to resort to stronger stuff than neem oil.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay for a greenhouse peek/tour! Gonna spend time looking, tonight.

    Boo for mites/bugs. Soapy bath and a sojourn to the out-of-doors might help.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gerhard said what I was thinking -- throw some price tags on everything and let others clear out the greenhouse for you! Kidding of course, it's fabulous!

    Also, I bet you visit and then try to cram some work in. Spending a whole day working in the garden is so 2014.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My gosh Peter, you have a nursery with so many beautiful plants. I can see how you must be struggling to keep on top of things. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm afraid I had thoughts along the same lines as Gerhard and Alan about opening up your greenhouse to paying customers. Then I thought how I'd feel to see some of my treasures walk out the door (even if the cash on hand would finance new shopping trips!). I suppose you could do what one nursery down our way did and put $400 price tags on everything you didn't want to sell - but then you'd be up all night affixing $400 price tag stickers, wouldn't you?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ok, inside and outside, your gardens are intriguing, and overwhelming!
    We are skipping Windcliff - been there- and the places south, and going north to the Seattle NPA Open Gardens.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Was that even a question? We rely on your galavanting ways, so don't let us down.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ah, yes, the Neem oil. I use it on my potted lemon as needed. Fortunately, this winter I didn't need it all. We had quite a few lady beetles in the house that I promptly took out to the lemon tree in the sunroom--no sign of aphids, scale, or any other insects. And no need to use Neem. Yay. I do agree with the others about your greenhouse resembling a garden store. You could have a "greenhouse sale." (But of course that can't happen because the plants are too dear.)

    ReplyDelete
  14. The safest way to empty a greenhouse is to invite a friend over and give away plants you can spare. It is helpful if the friend brings plants that you want and need but fewer than he or she hauls out.

    Repeat as necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Judging by that overflowing greenhouse, I'd say you're a man that can do it all! And then blog about it too...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my Peter! I liked the gnome in a cage, ha ha!
    You have many interesting things in your garden.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.