-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Monday, May 30, 2016

In A Vase On Monday - Pineapple Pruning

Pineapple Broom (Argyrocytisus battandieri) that is.  A now rather large specimen grows in our parking strip and must be cut back from the stop sign a couple of times a year.   Tom decided it was time to cut it back so there were lots of blooms smelling a bit like ripe pineapple  with which to play.


The deutzia  down by the greenhouse threw some long new branches out into the middle of a path so those had to be cut back as well.  This is an older picture of the shrub in bloom as I forgot to take a photo of the offending branches. 


Also left over from a bit of pruning was some foliage of Sambucus "Black Lace."  The pineapple broom brought to mind this pineapple-shaped coffee pot.


In went the prunings.

  And there it is.  In looking at this, I'm thinking that some glaucous foliage like eucalyptus would look good with this combination.  Better yet, the eucalyptus-resembling foliage of Parahebe perfoliata with it's little blue star shaped flowers.

Instead, added were the teapot, sugar, and creamer. 

And a few more flowers. 
Many thanks to Cathy at Rambling in the Garden for hosting In A Vase on Monday each week.  Click here to see Cathy's arrangement and links to those of others.

22 comments:

  1. That hot pink with yellow makes rather a holiday splash. I have Black Lace but it is only now getting big enough where I feel free to cut some for bouquets. It certainly makes a great accent. Have a pleasant holiday. Warm and sunny here and finally a bit of rain at the end of the week. So life is just about perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear that life is just about perfect there! Black Lace grows very rapidly here. I love the foliage but don't really have space for the 15 foot bush that it becomes so it gets cut way back each year.

      Delete
  2. That's a lovely bouquet and AMAZING that you were able to create it with prunings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Emily. That's what happens when you over plant.

      Delete
  3. Fabulous! I'd love to hear how your Sambucus foliage holds up, I can't figure out what the trick is. Sometimes it's long lasting and sometimes it wilts quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine wilted pretty quickly. I'd never used it inside before.

      Delete
  4. Your cuttings and props make a beautiful display, Peter!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is the jam-packedest, frilliest vase you've put together yet. Hot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All that pink did make it a bit frillier than I was imagining. Glad you liked it.

      Delete
  6. Oh my that is spectacular and I love the whole display...2 flowers I am not familiar with...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful! I have yet to experience pineapple broom in bloom in real life...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a sweet thing and I love the soft foliage as much as the flowers.

      Delete
  8. i always look forward to seeing what you come up with. Surprising and delightful!

    SilverLake Sue

    ReplyDelete
  9. For some reason I was expecting the pineapple bloom flowers to be pineapple sized too (silly me!!) so the photo of the completed vase was a bit of a surprise! ;) You nust be chuffed to have produced such a stunning vase from a few 'mere prunings'? But then again, it's what we have come to expect of you... :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it. I love the coffee pot too. You keep producing new plants for us to see. Wherever do you keep them all?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it. I love the coffee pot too. You keep producing new plants for us to see. Wherever do you keep them all?

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have the perfect setting and props to make elegant presentations.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love it…the pink and yellow in your coffee and tea set is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.