-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Tuesday, May 31, 2016

End of Month View



This is my first time to participate in this popular garden blogging meme, mostly because I finally remembered that it's the last day of the month.  End of Month View is hosted by Helen at The Patient Gardener.  Click here to visit her blog and see her EOMV and links to those of other participating garden bloggers.  I'm a bit behind in my regular garden tasks this year and because of our mild winter and warm spring, the garden is ahead of where it usually is at this time of year.  Having just had a long weekend during which I didn't make any field trips but stayed home and worked in my garden, there has been a bit of progress.  The greenhouse is over half emptied of it's seasonal residents as the semi annual migration is now in full swing.    The area in these pictures is near the greenhouse and contains the danger gardenette which looked like this in 2014


Summer 2015

From the side.

Last fall, instead of leaving empty pots when the tender succulents came inside for the winter, the area got a bit of a makeover for winter.


I like the way it looked but learned that I don't visit this area as much in the winter so probably won't do as much this fall.  At the beginning of this weekend, the area looked like this. It's scary.

A bit of weed and winter debris clean up has happened and a few plants have come out of the greenhouse.  During the migration, a mealy bug infestation was discovered on a few plants, sigh.  Most of the bigger plants are out but there are a few more to be dragged out.  They get to stay in the shade for a few days before being placed in the direct sunlight so it doesn't look like much progress has been made.  Once all the biggies are in place, filling in with the smaller plants will happen.

On the other side of this little seating area, I've given up trying to grow much in this bed.  Spanish bluebells have taken over and only seem to become more numerous when I dig them out.  I surrendered.  They get the bed until they're done blooming then get pulled out and some of the potted bromeliads will spend the summer filling the empty space.  A few have been placed already in this picture.   In another week or so, all the pots will be sorted out and put in order.  Okay, it might take until June's end of month view.

Can you believe that it'll be June tomorrow?  



34 comments:

  1. "May was full of promises...." Now June is, YOU know. My favorite, or least favorite line of that song is '... Virginia Creepers are hugging the bejeepers out of [everything else]. That's the way it is here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, time keeps flying faster and faster. That song plays in my head a lot at this time of year.

      Delete
  2. Your scary-looking danger gardenette looks a lot like my front porch in winter, which you saw when you came to pick up plants for the swap. I spent the weekend doing garden work too, mostly weed pulling. It was more rewarding than I remember. I managed to get a good night's sleep, which filled me full of energy. Insomnia is a soul-sucking thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear that you got an energizing night's sleep. Here's to many more!

      Delete
  3. Oh, Peter, where you find the energy to shlep all the pots back and forth every year? I remember the pictures from 2014 and 2015 (which means I've been reading your blog at least that long...) and I'm sure this year's display will be as impressive. Two plants in the back that had not moved show impressive growth over the years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The PIPs (Plant In Place) have put on some growth. I don't mind schlepping them back and forth but arranging them takes me forever.

      Delete
  4. I like these displays of succulents in pots. 2 questions. 1. Does anyone else see a hare in the top photo? He's made of opuntia leaves. 2. What is that orange thing in #3? Is it real?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You found the bunny! The orange thing, I think, is a member of the bromeliaceae that came from Rare Plant research a few years ago. The tag got lost. The plant has never been as orange as it was that first year. There's something about the bright sun and warm temperatures in the greenhouses at RPR that brings out especially beautiful colors in some plants.

      Delete
  5. Goodness, I'm with Chavliness... That's a lot of moving, but the end result is well worth it - wonderful display, Peter! My own garden adventures are temporarily on hold, until I get to see my chiropractor... Sigh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a lot easier now that I have the greenhouse and everything doesn't have to come up from the basement or down a couple flights of stairs from a bedroom. (Truth be told, I moved some of my favorites into the house for the winter.) So sorry to hear that you're in pain.

      Delete
    2. It's a lot easier now that I have the greenhouse and everything doesn't have to come up from the basement or down a couple flights of stairs from a bedroom. (Truth be told, I moved some of my favorites into the house for the winter.) So sorry to hear that you're in pain.

      Delete
  6. Ugh...not the mealy bugs! I'm sorry. I ended up tossing a few Agaves because of their evil ways. So do I read that you're officially starting a Bromeliad corner then? Love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had and beat the bugs before but one case is pretty bad. Fingers crossed. Decided to group instead of scatter the bromeliads this year. The bed full of indestructible Spanish Bluebells provided a spot.

      Delete
  7. Thanks for being brave and showing a "before" photo. I'm sure it will be awesome again in a couple of weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You do love a challenge, don't you? I think the world is definitely getting buggier. I'm now avoiding all stemless aloes because of the critters ants herd into their crevices. Agaves are starting to get hit too, a first this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A buggier world might not be a bad thing as long as there are more predatory bugs, birds, etc. to keep the plants from being decimated.

      Delete
  9. Awesome! Look at that plant collection! I always enjoy these "before" and "after" views. Your patio is so welcoming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcoming unless you fall on the plants as most of these are prickly, pointy characters .

      Delete
  10. Looks like things are getting ready for a long hot summer! Do you treat the mealy bugs with alcohol. I had some on my base ball plant and the alcohol seemed to work. And I too can't believe May came and went to quickly....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So, you drink alcohol until the bugs don't bother you anymore? I've heard about alcohol and also that a strong blast from the hose gets rid of the adults pretty well. A couple of plants were pretty badly infested so I decided to try a systemic insecticide on them and keep them in the greenhouse so it wouldn't get into the garden soil. We'll see if it works.

      Delete
  11. What a magnificent collection of plants you have Peter, I don't know how you manage with all those potted plants. Everything is looking so wonderful. Happy 1st of June!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Karen. Most of these plants thrive on neglect so they're easy to care for.

      Delete
  12. Goodness, what a lot of lovely succulents. I am glad you have scary areas too. I never show mine. My greenhouse gives me nightmares at the moment and you have to climb over mountains of pots and stuff just to get in it. Don't tell anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  13. While I periodically flirt with the idea of moving north (I may move to Canada after the presidential election), I don't know if I could handle the winter and spring migrations. My tender plants might just have to spend their entire lives in a really big greenhouse...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of mine have become permanent indoor residents. Sensible gardeners don't bother with the migrations and enjoy growing hardy plants only.

      Delete
  14. Your plant collection is wonderful, and almost overwhelming. Moving all those lovelies in and out of the greenhouse and keeping everything tended is a huge job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so much easier now with the greenhouse. Previously, tender plants went to all corners of the house, mostly up three flights of stairs to an unused room. Succulents don't require much care so it's easier than it looks.

      Delete
  15. I know Peter you will be on vacation soon and this succulent area will be clean and nice. I especially liked your photo from last fall, nice company of yucca, succulents and Ð’rassica oleracea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am looking forward to vacation and having day after day to work in my garden!

      Delete
  16. Great collection of plants! Impressive Before and After!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You have such a wonderful plant collection…I can't imagine the time you dedicate to it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.