-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Thursday, February 28, 2019

The Northwest Flower and Garden Festival - Ikebana Arrangements

Ikebana (literally Living Flowers) is "a way of arranging flowers that was developed by the Japanese.  It was introduced in Japan in the sixth century by Chinese Buddhist missionaries, who had formalized the ritual of offering flowers to Buddha.  The art is based on the harmony of simple linear constructions and the appreciation fo the subtle beauty of flowers and natural material, such as branches and stems.  There are several major Ikebana schools, with differing histories and theories of artistic style.  In its highest form, this art form is spiritual and philosophical in nature, but in modern Japan, it is more often practiced as a sign of refinement by marriageable young women and older matrons." (Merriam-Webster)

Each year members of  The Seattle Chapter of Ikebana International create arrangements for the Northwest Flower and Garden Festival.  I admire the restraint and artistry of these arrangements.  Come along and enjoy this year's offerings.




Simply elegant. 

These stems were held together by a branch, partly split down the middle and wedged into the vase.  Pretty amazing.





I love the movement of the broom, the tall thin vase.  This was one of my favorites this year.







  Do you have a favorite?  

Can you believe that we've somehow made it to the end of February?   We've lived through the warmest January and coldest February on record.  Hopefully March will be kinder to gardens and gardeners in our part of the world. 

14 comments:

  1. I'm hoping for better weather in March as well but it is looking very cold for next week. I liked a lot of these, but have to say that a few of them are way overdone given that I think of Ikebana as a less is more style of floral design.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know nothing about Ikebana so I'll take your word for it. There does seem to be a wide range of styles (schools?) in the displays each year.

      Delete
  2. My favourite would be the 6th arrangement from the top. The upright arching stem reminds me of a graceful bird's neck. I admire the restraint required for this art form. Allows you to look at the shapes vs the exuberant colours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a lovely way to appreciate shape and form v.s. exuberant colors.

      Delete
  3. I took so many photos of that basket design. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's interesting how the basket and succulent cuttings echo each other.

      Delete
  4. The arrangements in photos 6 and 14 are my favorites. This is a style I admire greatly but appear to be utterly incapable of replicating. Our February is the coldest on record here since 1962 but of course nothing like yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like you, I admire this style but fail at creating it myself. Crazy February!

      Delete
  5. It takes a lot of talent to get an Ikebana flower arrangement just right. I went to a garden show recently and I couldn't believe what some of the judges wrote about some of the designs that I enjoyed a lot. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I knew more about the schools and rules of this art form.

      Delete
  6. Well, we missed the Ikebana all together, so thanks for showing it.
    We have used the last few dry, sunny days to work in the yard, a few hours each day, cleaning up, again, from the wind and the snow. We still have some icy deposits in the shade and there will need to be some pruning of droopy shrubs, but for now we are hoping nature will be nicer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I liked several of them but they don't remind me of ikebana. They are awfully busy. Fun to see different arrangements though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ignorance is bliss and I just enjoy looking at what they've done and am not hindered by any knowledge of the art form.

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.