-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Thursday, February 21, 2019

The Northwest Flower and Garden Festival 2019 Part Two: City Living

While the large display gardens present fantasy gardens beyond the reach of many, the more intimate City Living spaces present ideas on a more accessible scale for those with smaller garden spaces.  On Tuesday, only numbers identified each garden so I cannot yet give credit to most of their creators.  After I visit the show later today, I'll insert proper credits.  For now, here's a peek at the City Living spaces in process.


Many vases of protea and leucadendrons add an exotic touch. 

















The style and color of this reminded me so much of of JJ DeSousa.

Finding JJ at work in her Parisian-themed garden confirmed that it was, indeed her space. 



Kim McCarthy (Urbansoule) created this space.  







Do you have a favorite?  One year, after I retire, it would be fun to put together one of these spaces.

13 comments:

  1. Love this concept which brings out a density of good ideas that can be broken apart and adapted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, the smaller spaces are full of ideas to be stolen, um I mean adapted.

      Delete
  2. By the time I arrive at the City Living spaces I must reach a certain level of saturation. I was there only yesterday, and yet a lot of what I notice in your pictures now feels as if I see it for the first time! There is something to love and be inspire by in each design.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really nice to see and photograph the gardens with only a few people on the floor as the crush of the crowd adds to the exhaustion of visiting the show. It's also a luxury to be able to see the show twice as I usually notice different things with each visit.

      Delete
  3. What a great idea to show these types of gardens as well. I was quite taken with the front door area and liked they used the idea of an "Auricula theater" for potted pansies. Clever and charming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The show has so much to offer and these smaller spaces are marvelous.

      Delete
  4. There's a lot to unpack from these images - and a lot of ideas that I've no doubt would help me in spiffing up my patios and my lath house.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thoroughly enjoyed seeing all of these smaller spaces. The pots all give some fun ideas for this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lots of great ideas - I think my favorite is the front entry in pix 7-10. I found the variety quite pleasing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the glass windows in the first one, of course. FYI, I talked to the artist who makes these, and she fusees the decorative glass onto the window glass, then applies an epoxy resin, at which time she then adds the beads to sink into the resin. Obviously she must remove the glass from the frames to fuse them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember talking with her about her technique once and she said something about using a torch to fuse the glass. Somehow she's able to do it without the glass suffering thermal shock.

      Delete
  8. I like those big ceramic planters.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.