-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Friday, February 15, 2019

Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day February 2019 - A bit of cheating.

Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day is hosted by Carol at May Dreams Gardens.  Be sure to click over to her blog to see what's blooming in gardens all over the world. For a brief history of the meme, click here.

Snowmageddon 2019 has drawn to a close but snow still covers most of the garden.  There are some plants blooming inside:

Euphorbia milii

A couple of Phalaenopsis


Just emerging is this bloom on a bromeliad.  This is it's third year to bloom for me.  Hooray. 

Out in the greenhouse, schlumbergeras are blooming.

Here's the cheating bit.  Before the snow, I went out to see what was blooming.  Some of these will be fine as soon as the snow melts, others won't be quite as handsome.  

Primroses


First Camellia japonica of the season.

This will definitely be the last abutilon for a while. 

Hellebores were beginning to take the stage. 






Crocus

Berberis  darwinii

Daphne laureola

Ceanothus 

Arctostaphylos

Sarcococca

Chimonanthus praecox

Lonicera fragrantissima

Kierra japonica

Edgeworthia

Hamamelis × intermedia 'Diane'

Clematis somethingorother

Galanthus

Iris reticulata

Cyclamen 

Garrya is still going strong although it's not pictured.


Then this happened.
image.jpeg


Roads are mostly clear now and a few small patches of the garden have shed the snow. 
Happy GBBD and happy weekend all. Only 33 more days until spring!  

21 comments:

  1. So much was blooming and then the snow came. The double blooming hellebores are stunning. I'm glad you capture their beauty while it was still going on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What kind of crocus is that? It looks so thin and narrow, it must be something different from mine.
    There is certainly nothing like ceanothus for that color!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of the crocus tommasinianus which will color up and get fatter as it grows.

      Delete
  3. Hopefully by March Bloomday this will all be a bad memory...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you have warmer days to enjoy those buds bloom in beauties ,Wonderful Hellebore and primroses.
    HAVE A GREAT WEEK AHEAD.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed seeing your Hellebores. I didn't think to take photos of mine before the snow and now they're buried. I am very much looking forward to all of this melting finally so I can get on with plans for this year's garden.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a gorgeous crop of hellebores you have! I hope all that beauty is waiting patiently under the snow to reveal itself relatively unscathed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those orchids are such subtle colors. My kind of flower. And i love the Hellebore in a pot. Great idea and it lets you see the flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful! Love the Hellebores, and I am surprised to see Kerria japonica blooming already.
    Happy Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not sure when I'll see my ground bloomers again. I think my snow drops are smashed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the hellebores! And those Phalaenopsis blooms are stunning! I'm sure you don't want to hear this, but I am a bit jealous of the snow! We've barely had a dusting this year.

    ReplyDelete
  11. There is so much color in your garden, despite the pesky snow. I have one lonely hellebore here but it won't be in bloom til May (or June, this year). I'm glad the snow is making an exit for you. Can't say the same for us, the backyard snowbank is now pushing six feet tall. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You certainly have a lot of color in your garden for winter. I hope the snow didn't ruin everything. Your Diane looks much better than mine. My poor Diane is all most all shriveled up from the cold. Happy GBBD.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful blooms, inside and out! The tough ones laugh at the snow and cold, don't they? :) Do you grow your Camellias inside the greenhouse during the winter? I'd like to pick your brain about that. I tried one in a pot several years ago, and it died during the early summer...not sure what I did wrong. It's too cold here in the winter for them to stay outside, but I keep thinking they'd really like the cool sunroom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our camellias stay outside all winter as they're quite hardy here. Every five years or so, we get a major snow event and some of the branches on the 15 foot monster camellia we inherited with the garden snap off under the weight of the snow. They quickly grow back in time for the next snow. I found a list of cold hardy camellias https://www.gardenia.net/guide/Cold-Hardy-Camellias but it looks like zone 6 is the bottom of their range. Since they grow in California, they would probably do well spending winter in your cool sunroom.

      Delete
  14. What a fantastic selection of blooms you had before all the white stuff came to blanket everything. Most should be ok, I look forward to seeing them when your snow has finally gone.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You have so many blooms already and your Hellebores are gorgeous! I love the orchids inside and Camelias outside and I am glad you got to run outside before the snow to capture these beauties. It looks like spring is on its way for you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. So many lovely flowers, a pity that they got buried. It's really been a challenge for you and your fellows with these storms. Hoping that it all thaws soon with minimal permanent damage.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Peter, lovely first signs of spring! Snowdrops, irises, lonicera - they are pretty!
    Happy GBBD!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The orchids are gorgeous - also that white camellia!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Seeing your spring gives me hope that spring will come to upstate New York - soon? By the way, my white Lenten Rose was released from its icy and snowy jail long enough to reassure me its flower buds were still there - but we are expecting another snowstorm tonight. So thank you for filling my day with flowers.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.