-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Monday, February 25, 2019

In a Vase on Monday - Slowly, Slowly


On Sunday morning, snow was falling as we drove to church.  By the 10:00 a.m. it was starting to accumulate a bit. After experiencing the warmest January on record, it looks as if this will be the coldest February on record in our area.  The prelude included the hymn tune Cwm Rhodda, sometimes called "Bread of Heaven," which certainly fit the look of these huge flakes.

By 12:30 the snow had turned to rain and the white stuff was all gone.  There are still unmelted bits of snow around town from the last round.   Forecasters are predicting more snow on Wednesday.  Spring is certainly coming slowly this year. 

Among many downed branches from snowmageddon were a few limbs of  a magnolia.  The fuzzy buds are  a delight  and I've often wondered if they would open if brought inside but never want to cut them from the tree.  Hoping to create a minimalistic Ikebana-esque arrangement, a few of the branches were cut from the fallen limbs.  However,  I failed miserably and decided to add more broken bits.


Phormium 'Guardsman' is lying flat but retains it's handsome color.  Fingers crossed that it'll pull through.  Other contents are Prunus laurocerasus, Arbutus unedo, and a carex whose name I've forgotten.

Joining the arrangement is a turtle made by Cindy Jenkins.  Hers is one of the booths that I look forward to seeing each year at the Northwest Flower and Garden Festival.

The arrangement seems a bit amorphous at the moment but if the magnolias open, it'll be much more interesting.  The contents of this vase will last for quite some time so if the magnolias don't open, perhaps I'll buy some flowers to add for next week's vase.

In a Vase on Monday is hosted by Cathy at Rambling in the Garden.  Click over to her blog to see what others have found in their gardens or nearby to bring inside this week.  

26 comments:

  1. I will be watching with interest to see if the Magnolia buds open. I often see arrangements with tree branches (like Japanese maples) that I would never clip for a bouquet. So it is kind of fun to have these for your vase — even if the reason is more bitter than sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you claim to have "failed miserably", I'm assuming you refer to the attempt at minimalism. One day I'd like to learn more about Ikebana: the art of leaving more out then in. Otherwise, this is a lovely display, and I too am curious to see if the buds will open. Keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, failed miserably at simplicity. Like you, I hope, one day, to learn more about Ikebana.

      Delete
  3. It will be exciting waiting to see if the magnolia buds open and I don't suppose the tortoise will be in a hurry to wander off in case he misses it. It's always good to see your damage limitation vases, Peter - thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The buds are still fairly young and don't usually open until April so we'll have to see what happens.

      Delete
  4. I love this display! Fingers crossed for the magnolia to flower.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the cute little turtle and the fuzzy magnolia buds (whether they open or not). This winter seems to be one for the record books - the PNW's experiencing snowmageddon and the UK's unusually warm and spring-like. I guess I should be very happy that SoCal's landed somewhere in the middle with just a decent amount of rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's been a crazy winter so far and you are, indeed lucky to live where you do!

      Delete
  6. I have often wondered about those fuzzy magnolia buds too. I always have doubted they would open but well worth the try. I hope I am wrong. I love that little turtle and the air plant in it's pocket. Happy IAVOM.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen anything online about bringing magnolia buds inside to open so it probably won't work but it's worth a try since the limb was already down. We'll see.

      Delete
  7. Good for you for continuing to find arrangement material from your garden. I have a bunch of white and green alstroemeria from the grocery store on my table.
    The piles of snow are finally gone from along the streets now, so I was able to get out for a walk again. NO MORE SNOW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes it's more of a challenge than others but there's always something outside to bring in. I agree with you, NO MORE SNOW!

      Delete
  8. I've been eyeing my friend's magnolia that is in need of pruning, thinking I could force some buds inside. I'll watch to see if yours bloom before asking my friend's ok to trim hers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been traveling along with you through the flower show, wow, that is really something! I wouldn't know what to look at first. The work the crews go through for just a few days, amazing. I love your arrangement, and hope the magnolias do open. You had me laughing out loud about the tidying up, you're right, so many things don't bring me joy, so why do I have to keep them?? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of these years you should come out and visit the show. You'd have fun laughing at what we call winter here.

      Delete
  10. Conversely we have just had one of the warmest Feb days on record in the UK. You still managed to put together an interesting collection with a great shape and such a cute little turtle. Hopefully spring is on the way for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been reading about your warm February and am both happy for you and a bit jealous. We're all rooting for spring to come soon.

      Delete
  11. Oh yes, the foliage alone is quite pleasing. I do hope the buds open for you though. We have lots of pussy willow catkins from a fallen tree and are hoping they will open too if brought indoors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pussy willows are such welcome signs of new life stirring in the garden. Hope you have good luck with yours.

      Delete
  12. Do you want to make your website top in google search. We have great opportunity for you that can drive more traffic to website. You can earn more from this. Visit for more details. Drive More Traffic To Website.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful treat it will be if your magnolia buds open.

    These in a vase creations are amazing.

    Have a great week ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks FlowerLady. Right now, I'm a little envious of your beautiful Florida temperatures. The feeling passes when I read that you have to head inside and turn on the air condidionaer already.

      Delete
  14. A striking arrangement Peter. Whilst you have had your warmest ever January we have probably had our warmest ever February. Hopefully that snow like February is just temporary :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.