-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Monday, January 30, 2017

In A Vase On Monday - Fireworks for Lunar New Year

This vase, from a visit to  Barone Garden  this summer, has been waiting to be used.  I thought it might be appropriate for lunar new year.  I've no idea what it says; do you?


My original thought was to simply fill the vase with branches from the contorted filbert but they didn't really want to cooperate.  Sometimes it's not a bad thing not to have done a thorough fall clean-up in the garden as there are some leftovers to bring inside.  Seed heads from alium, grass join the good-luck coin like seed heads of Lunaria annua to make a firework show for the occasion.  I considered gold and red spray paint but decided against it.

Joining the arrangement are a cloisonné vase found at a thrift store and a metal ginger jar found at my friend  Howard's shop many years ago.

I'm imagining that dried and dead things are probably not the right thing for a celebration of light's return and all things new but it just sort of happened.  Happy new year all!
In a Vase on Monday is hosted by Cathy at Rambling in the Garden.  Check out what others are plopping in vases this week by clicking here.

13 comments:

  1. Those alliums totally suggest fireworks and celebration. I used to have a co-worked who brought me a big bouquet of dried Lunaria from her garden. Some seedheads are better than the flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the alliums are perfect. Skeletons of the past. I am lucky enough to hear the drums and gongs of the lion dancers but since fireworks have been outlawed that is the only noise. I loved hearing the great bangs of the various-sized firecrackers, but now it is only a fortunate memory.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes, definitely a suggestion of fireworks and celebration as Ms Wis says. Sadly no allium heads left here now but I have planted a lot more allium buls so hopefully this time next year...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dead and dried bits and pieces are my favorite things to make arrangements with. Yours are wonderful, especially those enormous Alliums. Happy Lunar New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. There couldn't be a better pairing with that vase, Peter! That allium is absolutely wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice job, a decent analogue for fireworks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Celebration! Those alliums are fabulous, Peter!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The colors are perfect in your hallway with all the burnished wood.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, yes. Every time you place a new arrangement on the table near the stairwell I swoon. The woodwork in your home is so rich. Love the entire vignette!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks like celebratory fireworks, photographed in sepia tones.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The vase and its contents make a real statement; I love Allium seed-heads and your are particularly large and striking. Happy Luna New Year to you too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the shapes and textures and shades of brown. They look stunning with your gorgeous staircase. Quite unlike the dank muddy shades of brown in my garden at the moment. Roll on spring.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.