-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Friday, December 14, 2018

Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day - December 2018

Once again, the fifteenth of the month is upon us and it's time to take stock of what's blooming in our gardens for Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day, the popular meme hosted by Carol at May Dreams Gardens.  Click here to see what's blooming in gardens around the world.  Thanks, Carol, of continuing to host!  Here's most of what's blooming in my USDA zone 8 western Washington garden this month.  We recently had a few days with lows in the 20's and it's been interesting to note the warm and cold spots in the garden.

One brave dianthus.  In the cold, blooms last much longer. 

Viburnum × bodnantense 'Dawn' will be blooming all winter. 

Frost?  What frost?  Abutilons were not bothered at all. 



Mahonia nearing the end of it's blooming season.

 Jasminum nudiflorum

Pineapple sage outside under the eaves of the greenhouse benefited from the extra warmth there. 

In the greenhouse...



Butterworts (Pinguicula) seem to bloom without end.  

Impatiens niamniamensis 

Back outside.

I thought that the fuchsias would be goners for the season but not so much. 

Fatsia japonica

Hope.

Nope  (well, maybe.) 
I didn't take pictures but most of the tetrapanax buds are now drooping but there are a couple of plants whose buds are erect and may just bloom.

What's blooming in your garden during this dark time? 

I'll leave you with this wish for you and the world this holiday season:


If, like me, your Finnish isn't so great, here's an English Translation:

Peace of Mind 

Only two Christmas presents, 
only two I'd wish for 
  Just a small moment to take a breather
 and definitely peace of mind   

I only wish for Christmas magic
 I wish our hearts don't worry 
at least for a while
 and Christmas brings that hopeful moment

   If only with the mild night wind
 Christmas would bring once again 
some peace of mind
 to this confused world of ours   

Why should I wish for gold
 more unneeded odds and ends
   Would those bring
 that moment of rest 
which feels like forgiveness

16 comments:

  1. Amazing to see what all survived the colder temperatures!
    Happy Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peter, I love your Abutilon, it's a brave one in your garden. The greenhouse glads you with many blooms, I especially love color of your Christmas cactus and fuchsia.
    This Finnish song is really pretty, I can understand only some words, as I often go to our Finish neighbors.
    Happy GBBD!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Finnish isn't good and I'm half Finnish! All I can really do is swear. Still, the song is lovely and thanks for providing the translation. Your refugees from the cold are beautiful. Happy GBBD!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Finnish is non existent but I enjoyed the song. And your plants. What's blooming in my upstate New York garden? NOTHING! So that's why I enjoy gardens like yours so much. Happy GBBD to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Burr! It was cold in your garden. I've seen so many Jasminum nudiflorum in bloom, yet on mine there's nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, the song was beautiful, and thanks so much for the translation! I love its sentiments, so needed. And thanks for sharing the lovely blooms from your garden. Hope you and Tom have a Happy Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's quite a collection of blooms for mid December. Happy Bloom Day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Our winter jasmine and mahonias are attracting hummingbirds.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's nice to see blooms in December isn't it? Fingers crossed that we have a mild winter. (I have to tell you that I think I see scale on your Viburnum. It doesn't seem to be affecting the blossoms at all though.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow Beautiful blooms ,loved the fuchsia ..we have mild winters so expecting more blooms in upcoming days .
    Have a great week ahead .

    ReplyDelete
  11. You had me at One brave dianthus! Mine is different shades of brown.
    I like the song a lot, the singer is a little scary looking.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My neighbor still has dianthus blooming as well! Those fuchsias are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those Abutilons are incredible! I only have a few things blooming in the sunroom, so I appreciate all these warmer-climate GBBD posts. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the fuchsias, they're really hanging on this year!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is the first I've ever heard of Butterworts. Kind of looks like Periwinkle. Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! Really good jobs! In winter I also have to grow my plants in greenhouse, because they wouldn't manage the temperatures outside. It is the last month of the year so I started to plan what to grow next year! I have many plants on my list - for sure I will try pineapple, because I have never grown them before. https://gardenseedsmarket.com/unusual-plants-en/ I found there plenty of unusual, exotic plants so I have to order some of them. Have you ever tried?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.