-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Friday, May 18, 2018

Retail Therapy at Wells-Medina Nursery

On the twenty-eighth of April, my pal Alison (Bonney Lassie) and I led a workshop about garden blogging at the Bellevue Botanical Garden under the auspices of the Northwest Perennial Alliance.  I shared everything I know about blogging and when that three minutes were over, Alison did the rest.  It was great fun chatting with other gardeners and hopefully some of the participants will start garden blogs of their own.  Since we were already on the east side, it just made sense to stop by Wells Medina for some retail therapy.

Hey look, new wallpaper!


It was interesting to note that just a couple of weeks ago, these trees were still leafless.  Now they'd be fully leafed out.  May is a magical month in the garden.

This combination looked great all winter and is still quite lovely.


Nice large specimens of Cordyline 'Electric Pink' 

Bright spring color decorates the tiered bed 



The nursery was packed to the gills with all sorts of plants.  Arisaema ovale 'Variegata' was a temptation.


I love peonies and wish I had space for more.  Oh well in the next garden will have acreage.


Fremontodendron californicum


That's Salvia leucantha 'White Mischief' between the Mandevillas. Things are warming up.


Anigozanthos from down under. 

In addition to the vast array of evergreens, trees, rhododendrons, roses, perennials, etc. there were some surprises of the succulent variety.

Aloe mitriformis

Aloe nobile 'Gold Tooth'

Agave bovicornuta is not often seen in nurseries here.  It was so tempting to bring one of these home but my poor mistreated specimen seems to be recovering


One could take a bit of california home. 

 How exciting, the time has come and everything can safely go outside!  I took things out a bit early this year but they don't seem to mind too awfully much. 
Rare Plant Research in Oregon City is having their annual Garden Sale this weekend.  There are always great plants and cool pots made by Burl, the owner.  Whatever you do, hope your weekend is stellar!

12 comments:

  1. Retail nursery therapy LOVE IT ! Nothing but rain here most of the last month. Can't even window shop :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, the color in that tiered bed is electric! What a gorgeous nursery, thank you for sharing! And pictures of rain are welcome too... Always good to remember what that looks like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG...those Fremontodendron are so full off flowers, I've never seen plants that small (relatively speaking) so covered in blooms. I might not have been able to pass up that Agave bovicornuta. My specimen passed on...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those Peonies! gorgeous! I wish I could grow them here but this horrible warm climate stands between that dream and reality... sigh!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just took a few photos in my own garden. While it's not very exotic, it sure is pretty in May!
    Our garden club is going nursery touring Saturday in your area: Vasseys, Windmill, and a greenhouse I don't remember the name of and don't want to get up to look it up. I'm taking sort of a rest day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Between the wallpaper and the bright color of that tiered bed, I think my eyeballs may be permanently fried...Nonetheless, I did like the planter, if not necessarily the wallpaper.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an excursion. That wallpaper is something else. Not sure what but hey it is colorful. So many plants, you need acreage. I hope you get some, with a big greenhouse because I know you will need that too. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, retail therapy is absolutely necessary, especially when it comes to plants! And I've been practicing it regularly lately. That tiered bed is amazing!

    ReplyDelete

  9. Wonderful the photos.
    Lots of beautiful to see.
    janicce.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Colorful! I love that peony photo!

    ReplyDelete
  11. There's no therapy like retail (plant) therapy. Plants are probably cheaper over time, and you get to see them in your garden afterwards.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That wallpaper makes my head ache. The tiered bed, on the other hand, is fabulous! Hope you had fun plant shopping after the class.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.