-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Thursday, December 14, 2017

Suddenly Seymour

The Seymour Conservatory looked and felt particularly festive when I walked over last weekend.  Tacoma's Dickens Festival was taking place this weekend and the conservatory's costumed workers were hosting an afternoon tea. 






Revelers appreciated a performance of a bell choir.  

Longfellow's poem, "Christmas Bells"  always runs through my head on hearing  the tintinnabulation of the bells.  It's especially meaningful if you know Longfellow's story.  If not, click the link. 

I heard the bells on Christmas Day
     Their old, familiar carols play.
          And wild and sweet 
          The words repeat
     Of peace on earth, good-will to men!
And thought how, as the day had come,
The belfries of all Christendom
     Had rolled along
     The unbroken song
Of peace on earth, good-will to men!
Till ringing, singing on its way,
The world revolved from night to day,
     A voice, a chime,
     A chant sublime
Of peace on earth, good-will to men!
Then from each black, accursed mouth
The cannon thundered in the South,
     And with the sound
     The carols drowned
Of peace on earth, good-will to men!
It was as if an earthquake rent
The hearth-stones of a continent,
     And made forlorn
     The households born
Of peace on earth, good-will to men!
And in despair I bowed my head,
"There is no peace on earth," I said;
     "For hate is strong,
     And mocks the song 
Of peace on earth, good-will to men!"
Then pealed the bells more loud and deep;
"God is not dead, nor doth He sleep;
     The Wrong shall fail,
     The Right prevail,
With peace on earth, good-will to men."



During this advent season and always, I wish you peace, love and plants (lots of plants.)

I still haven't decorated for the season but since I can visit the conservatory frequently, maybe that's good enough for this year.

15 comments:

  1. I never knew those "song lyrics" were a Longfellow poem. Thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And now your WV makes much more sense!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Peace, love, and plants to you as well!
    Warm humidity and plants, plus holiday decorations. My idea of the holiday spirit. Cold and snow are so overrated ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that song from Little Shop is going to be in my head all day. Actually, a good thing because it replaces all the Christmas music. I really should get back the Seymour Conservatory some day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post is both pretty and educational; I read the link you provided. It is hard to imagine the hardship people had gone through during the civil war. Peace love (and plants) is a wonderful wish any time of year.
    The Seymour Conservatory is gorgeous, and the costumes add a lot to the atmosphere, but ...maybe that's good enough for this year? Say it isn't so.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Seymour Conservatory is a treasure and so are you. Thanks for sharing Longfellow's poem and its back story.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love these holiday bling-flings. They are a lot of festive fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That greenhouse is a paradise! absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lucky you to have this treasure in your neighborhood!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh how fun! I was at Milwaukee's conservatory today, and it was great to walk into warm tropical and desert botanical gardens. The holiday displays are so festive!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this Longfellow's poem, Peter! The words: 'The Wrong shall fail, The Right prevail'
    The pyramid made by poinsettia of different colors is amazing, it's pity I haven't bought new one for my home, waited for the blooms of a last year one. I should go fast to the Garden center and purchase a white poinsettia :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't think I ever knew the last of that poem. It seems so poignant this year to me. A beautiful conservatory. It would have been fun to me to go to tea and see everyone dressed up.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Let's all hope that Longfellow got it right. The Dickens theme adds a fun touch to a beautiful conservatory.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.