-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Friday, December 29, 2017

Seeing Red

Yesterday I mentioned that I'd decided to paint our dining room red, last night, one wall got painted with a sample color, million dollar red by Benjamin Moore.  Above, you can see the perfectly good gold color that the room had been painted. Once it dried, the color made me smile so off  we went to the hardware store to get more paint.

 Thursday was spent taking everything off the walls and throwing on two and,  in some places, three coats of paint. By 10:30 p.m. things went back on the walls.  (Why is that mismatched chair still at the table and not upstairs?)  BTW, the tablecloth really is the same red color as the walls but because of a metallic sheen, it appears pink in these pittures.

 
One usually sees red walls with white trim but I'm unwilling to paint the original varnished wood.  There was a worry that the color with the wood might be too much but I like the combination.

By the way, the white spots that you see around wome of the wood is where a painter of the past slopped white paint over onto the wood.  It would probably look better if it were covered with the new color.

While lounging around in my gardening sweats/pajamas was fun for a couple of days,  it was fun to play with paint for a time. Have a good weekend  all!

22 comments:

  1. Good choice, that red looks awesome Peter. It's also absent from current color trend charts so you have a classic to boot.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year to you, Shirley! I briefly considered Pantone's color of the year, 18-3838 ultra violet, but have always wanted a red room.

      Delete
    2. Good call, violet is not good with food. You could have gone with Merlot, but that's sooo last year!

      Delete
  2. The red looks great with the unpainted wood! White would be too contrasty. How about a gold ceiling?

    ReplyDelete
  3. So you go from cuddling with the dogs on the sofa, in your pajamas, to painting a room :-) I'm with Hoover Boo: white trim would have been too contrasty, plus the wood is so beautiful, why cover it. This is a room full of treasures, and the red color adds majesty to it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! That is red. Back in the early 80s, right after Nigel and I got married, we rented a house that had red flocked velvet wallpaper in the dining room. It was a typical split level kind of house, so didn't really work style-wise. We hated it, Nigel called it the bordello-room. Yours looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I remember red flocked velvet wallpaper. What were we thinking in the 70's? I may grow tired of this color but am always excited by a change. The kitchen is also getting painted because the walls are so filthy (painting is easier than cleaning, right.) but it's the exact color that it already was so not exciting at all.

      Delete
  5. Bold! What an industrious use of your time off. I think the red walls look much better with brown wood trim rather than painted white.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, Peter! While majority of us was enjoying holiday table's leftovers, you were working hard! Looks dramatic! I appreciate you selecting this bold color especially knowing that some people intentionally paint their walls white just to get them look great on Instagram. As a result, many interiors look almost the same. Bravo to your unique taste!
    Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Utterly fabulous! That is a room that was meant to be red. Reading this post, however, I realize I forgot to tell you that it takes multiple coats of red to cover. Interesting that such a deep color actually goes on so much more transparent than opaque.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes! It turned out fantastic. Dinner in this room would be exciting. It really makes your stained glass window pop too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great bright colors! Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this even more than I thought I would, and I think the wood and red combo is prefect, so much better than a stark white ever could be. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it, it is a bold move and it has paid off. It looks fabulous. Funnily enough I had the same idea and was going to paint my dining room red. I bought a tester, but when it dried it looked like raw liver, so I went off the idea and played safe with a neutral colour. Seeing yours, I wish I'd persevered to find the right shade.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looking at your new red dining room, I feel like you're next to me, laughing and talking -- it is so you! I can't tell where you end and your house begins. Wonderfully expressive. And I'm in awe of people who throw paint at the walls on a whim. I brood for months and years about the need for new paint -- the phase I'm in now. You give me courage, Peter! And I have the same dark wood issue too...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have friends who had a powder room this color for years (their choice). They recently changed to beige. Kudos for not hiding this in a tiny room!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That looks great! -A lot darker, but much cozier and it does go great with the wood.
    I'm also unwilling to paint over our wood trim, and we also have the little dabs of white around the frames. When I get real ocd I find a razor blade and scrape a little off, but then my fingers give out and the rest stays.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.