-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Monday, September 4, 2017

In A Vase On Monday

In a Vase on Monday is hosted by Cathy at Rambling in the Garden.  Click over there to see what others are popping in a vase to enjoy inside this week.

No blooms made it into my vase this week, just a combination that I first saw in a pot at Jungle Fever many years ago and copied: Corokia cotoneaster, Arum italicum, and Ophiopogon planiscapus 'Nigrescens.' The Black Mondo Grass was growing in a crack in the path and will get a nicer home once it's time in the vase is over.

I threw in a sprig of Jacobaea maritima for fun. 


The vase is a thrift store find.  Joining it is a titanium quartz crystal and a bird made by Cindy Jenkins.

13 comments:

  1. Great combo. I'm jealous because I never get such gorgeous seedpods on my Arum despite it being a big healthy plant. Enjoy the holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every year around this time I'm amazed at those Arum seed heads. Wouldn't you wish you could somehow dry them and maintain this wonderful orange? A richly colored arrangement today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dosn't that arum look striking - hmm, but also a bit Christmassy too, perhaps...?! Surely it's too soon for that ... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your arrangement, Peter. The bold arum plays off the silver and the purple grass offers a nice contrast. I've never seen iridescent quartz like that - nice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It does look a bit festive... But striking nonetheless! Our arum lily seedheads are never this good-looking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those Arum seedheads are gorgeous! Mine has only produced two this year, and I'm planning to save them and try sowing them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A beautiful combination! I love the contrast between the seeds, the dark green leaves and the vase.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, dark and dangerous today. Very bold and striking.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very autumnal in feel. I smiled when I read your comment about finding that clump of black mondo grass growing in a crack in your paving - here, that clump could be sold for $12.99. Everything seems to grow and spread effortlessly in the PNW!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thrift store vase, seed heads of long gone flowers, a rock...you make the most of everything. It's a wonderful gift.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is outstanding. It is so unexpected to me. My arum rarely makes any berries. The conditions must be just right. Happy IAVOM.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never thought to pick the arum seed heads for a vase. Since we don't like to encourage them, we usually destroy the seed heads. They are pretty though.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.