-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Monday, September 25, 2017

In a Vase on Monday - A Season of Neglect

In a Vase on Monday is hosted by Cathy at Rambling in the Garden.  Click here to join in the fun!

It's a strange time in my garden.  Not a lot of vase-worthy blooms.  The garden has slowed down and there are, as always, plants that should go into the ground.  Fall is in the air but it's not quite time for the plant migration although I'm beginning to squash things together in the greenhouse to make space and contemplate which plants might be houseplants for the winter.  The sun has returned but I'm not feeling particularly motivated to do a whole lot in the garden right now.  Today's containers salute to cacti and succulents that don't mind being ignored for weeks at a time.

Contents are Eryngium 'Big Blue' and seed heads of Angelica stricta 'Purpurea'

Happy new week everyone!

13 comments:

  1. My Eryngium didn't make it through the winter. I should try another one as yours certainly makes a drama queen partner in a container. Trying to motivate myself to get some work done before the weather changes and I start complaining it's too cold instead of too hot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I so love these cactus vases of yours (I must try and source them for myself as they are rght up my street!) and the eryngium in particular is perfectly placed in them Thanks or sharing

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'Big Blue' is a great Eryngium, but I wish it would self-sow like others. I have so much to do out there but my shoulder muscles are still bothering me, and I really should wait for them to calm down. So I'm motivated but held back by my own aged body, which is so frustrating. I think I'll try to be satisfied with doing some little jobs. I too need to tidy the greenhouse to get it ready for the migration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What brilliant vases, you do have quite a collection.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm dreading the migration. Not for the work involved but for what it means. No more sunny evenings on the patio! Your arrangements are great fun...

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like a great time to plunk yourself into a chair and just enjoy the sun and the garden. The Eryngium and Angelica seedheads are perfect in their cactus vases.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like the cactus vases and the flowers you chose for them.....I am not motivated either to work in the garden....I lost the whole summer to weather and injury and now it is too hot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it!
    Yep, gardening is kind of on hold here too. I think we'll start putting away summer things, like chairs and umbrellas, and maybe collect, wash and store the glass flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Perfect combination for this hectic, senescing time of year. It's been so hot and dry here for a couple of weeks that many of the plants are going dormant or drying up. This is the first year I can remember looking forward to the cooler days. I like the dried seed heads and the succulents, though. You do them justice!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the cactus vases and the little echeveria too. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, Peter, I think we're on the same page once again. I'm dreading trying to figure out where to put everything, too. Dig the cannas, pull out the petunias, and should I or shouldn't I overwinter my ever-burgeoning pelargonium collection? And where? I walk through the gardens half-heartedly shuffling, but we're in the middle of another stone project at the moment which takes all my time. (At least, that's the excuse I use.)

    The arrangements are fantastic! I love the vases. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You've got the late summer/early fall blahs. Happens to all of us. ;)
    I love those cacti vases, so darn cute!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.