-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Thursday, August 17, 2017

Wendy Lagozzino's Garden

Back on the Northwest Perennial Alliance open garden trail on a sunny day at the beginning of June I visited the garden of Wendy Lagozzino.

"Welcome to the garden of a 117-year-old Queen Anne home."

From the parking strips in front of the house, I could tell that this was the garden of a fellow plant addict.


Even the top of the garage was covered with plants.



Wendy told me the name of this cool plant but I forgot.  Do you know it?  Thanks to Alison and Anna B. for identifying this as Phacelia tanacetifolia. 

The bumble bees were certainly enjoying it.


Look, that's Tropaeolum speciosum climbing through the shrubbery.



Rhododendron sporting tillandsias.


Carpenteria californica

"I transformed a muddy path into a stroll over mosaics and ground covers, planted in a recycled plastic grid."



What a great way to use Abutilon megapotamicum.





"I keep finding projects to make art for the garden that add to my already extensive collection of purchased art.  Is it too much?  Maybe, but I'm having fun anyway."



The ceiling of this entire bottom floor is bedecked with dried flowers.  It's difficult to tell from the pictures how large an expanse this is.







 Back outside to explore more of the garden.








Love this collage of found pieces.  Wouldn't it be fun to make one? 

I imagine that Wendy also comes home from walks with pockets full of interesting rocks, cones, seed pods, etc.


All too soon it was time to walk back out to the car. 



Thanks, Wendy, for opening your garden and basement for us all to enjoy!

18 comments:

  1. My favorite kind of garden, so personal and beautiful. I would love to be surrounded by all those gorgeous plants. As a gardener I am impressed by the work and though that went into it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is one inspirational garden. It must be wonderful to live across the street and have that view. The blue Hydrangea and yellow Hakonechloa is a gorgeous combo, partly the scale is just right. So many things to admire, including your photos. When we started planting the top of our garage, we took it as a sign to move to where we could have a larger garden — which is the garden we now have. Really enjoyed that image.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great garden! And holy crap! That dried flower ceiling is freaky. Can it be possible I know a plant name that you don't? I think that plant is Phacelia tanacetifolia. I love that collage, I've been collecting bits to make something similar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness! This girl not only has a green thumb, but I'll bet that her toes are green, too, LOL. I loved this tour, thank you.
    Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love visiting gardens of the truly plant obsessed. And that is such a great way to showcase an abutilon. I once hung dried flowers in the entrance hallway to our top-floor apartment, so I know exactly what that room feels like!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel like a plant dilettante by comparison to Wendy! I loved this garden. If I had a flat garage roof (or house roof, for that matter), I'd definitely cover it with plants too. Do the everlastings stay up year-round?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the everlastings do stay up year round, making an interesting ceiling treatment.

      Delete
  7. What a plant lovers delight. One can never have too many 'things' in their garden. I bet that basement smelled like an herb garden.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A splendid and characterful garden! The borders are so beautifully planted!

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW!!!!! Thanks for sharing another fantastic garden.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have certainly shared lots of gardens with us Peter but I think this is one of my favorites. The front garden areas in particular --and those dried flowers ! Does she sell them ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was a fantastic garden. To my knowledge, she doesn't sell the dried flowers.

      Delete
  11. Oh wow, oh wow! Those dried flowers are incredible! And the pathways, and the collage--love them! Yes, the gardener is obviously a plant addict...and an artist and great garden presenter. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. It was when I saw the photos of the dried flower ceiling that I knew we had visited this garden before, last year I think. It holds so many treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think those are giant mullein in the garden: they are so great. I should look to plant it next year. The garden is amazing and fun, but the most unusual thing ever is the dried flowers on the ceiling. COOL!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Phenomenal collections of another happy plant addict. The world can never have enough of them!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a fun garden this must have been to tour. All those great photos and I keep going back to the one of the garage, near the top. Planted perfection!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.