-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Friday, August 18, 2017

A Morning Walk in The Bresemann Forest

On Thursday Morning, after leaving one of the pups at our vet in Spanaway,  I decided to explore Bresemann Forest.  "This naturally wooded site is approximately 70 acres with a system of pedestrian nature trails.  The beautiful and secluded walking trail may have users thinking they are miles from the city as they stroll along Morey Creek."  I'd driven by this area for years without realizing that it was a public park.

In the parking lot of Spanaway Lake Park, across the street from the Bresemann Forest, was this vintage VW Bug.

With mostly vintage items on the luggage rack. 

I have a poor sense of direction and as traffic noise faded and trails split off in all directions, it felt a bit like being lost in the woods.



Who or what stripped the bark from this tree exposing the beautiful wood beneath?  

Do you see the house across the water?  Wouldn't it be grand to live there? 


Native Mahonia (Oregon Grape) 


Although I saw no other people walking the trail, there were signs of human carelessness.  Really, is it that hard to take your garbage out with you?

My favorite native tree, Arbutus menziesii (Madrona) doing its annual striptease act. 




Happy weekend all!

17 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing, Peter. �� the pictures. I will check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a peaceful spot. And how clever that the VW had appropriate items in the luggage rack. Someone had fun doing that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A beautiful place! I would moved into that house in an instant!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So peaceful. I've never seen a tree shed bark like that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Madrona is a favorite of mine as well. A few years back they were dying in large number, and I hope the trend reversed itself. That old Bug looked to be relic from hippie days' summer of love, luggage and all. Hitching a ride to San Fransisco anyone?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Madrone, gorgeous. My little 'Austin Griffiths' Manzanita is peeling in tiny bits, so I have a dwarf version of sorts.

    Have a beautiful weekend, Outlaw.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful & serene place. I loved the reflections in the water, the fallen & still growing upward tree, and the little bit of bark in the shape of a heart on the Arbutus menziesii (Madrona).

    Thank you for yet another wonderful walk in nature ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  8. OOooooo that Madrona tree is gorgeous. The entire place is worth a tour. I hate that feeling of being lost even in a beautiful wooded area. I am happy to see that you made it out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We are ready for a destination walk out of the city. I think we'll hit the Soos Creek trail after checking in at the Puyallup Farmers Market Saturday morning. I need a change of scenery. That park looks like a great respite too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful place to (almost) get lost in! I hope the pup is fine.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Madronas too. Thanks for sharing your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a nice place for a walk. It's so important to have spaces like that in or near urban areas. Love the madrones.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Perfect place to get away from it all.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I also like to walk through the woods. We are actually surrounded by woods. I guess there must be a lot of interesting forests in the area where you live?!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a beautiful place. I think I'm a little in love with the Arbutus menziesii...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very PNW! Love the bark on that Arbutus!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.